Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help! Rounded Off Bolt!

chris1712

Evening gents. Set about changing my lift bolts this afternoon, only to get as far as removing the spark plug covers and get no further. The last bolt (on the left) has rounded off and I can't get the bugger out. Its strange as I only changed the plugs last week and had no problem.

dscf9202.jpg

So yeah, its the final funky bolt with the cap on top to hold the engines plastic cover, so I'm assuming I can't find a simple replacement for it in B&Q? Thats assuming I can get the blasted thing off, need some mole grips or something.

I'm fairly confident I can get it off, but it might not be a great idea putting it back on when its in such iffy condition, agreed?

So, can I get hold of one of these from Mr T? Anyone know a part number or who I can find out the part number? Alternatively, i have 2x spares of the other spark plug bolts, are they all interchangeable or is this one different (I mean ignoring the top cap thing for the plastic engine cover)?

Thanks for any help guys! Pain in the ***** this thing!

i have one of these spare as the same happened to me a while back so i bought two.

Toyota Part Number:

90109-06365

i have one of these spare as the same happened to me a while back so i bought two.

Toyota Part Number:

90109-06365

Huzzzah! This forum rocks :thumbsup:. Do they come with the little cap thing for the top to hold the plastic engine cover? I'll need one of those too (provided i ever find a new engine cover :yawn:).

Chris.

Nope it doesnt come with the little cap. The part number for the little cap is: 90176-06045

also while your at it, you may aswell buy plastic engine cover from mr t. I think they are around £40, unless you can find a breaker with a decent on the part number for the engine cover is: 11212

the other bolts which hold the engine cover down are: 91511-G0622

a stilson should get that off.

failing that blow torch it a little.

the more subtle approach is to go for a drive for 20 mins, making sure you cane it. Then come back and get it off.

a stilson should get that off.

failing that blow torch it a little.

the more subtle approach is to go for a drive for 20 mins, making sure you cane it. Then come back and get it off.

I'm fairly confident I can get it out with the socket I have, just it was on the end of a screwdriver and wouldn't fit the bigger drive of my ratchet. The socket set I have, each socket is kind of like a multi point star, whereas my screwdriver one actually is a 10mm hexagon so its got a better grip of what little shape there is left. I just couldn't get enough grip on a screwdriver to undo it.

Pay a visit to machine mart and buy a stud extractor set...always useful to have in the tool kit

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pro57-4-pce-stud-extractor-set/path/tap-die-sets-files-extractors

How do these work? Can't tell from the picture.

aha, i read that a few times and got what you meant.

Whenever you get a tight bolt i would ALWAYS use a 6 pointed socket, the 12 pointed variety are a swearing session waiting to happen!!!

aha, i read that a few times and got what you meant.

Whenever you get a tight bolt i would ALWAYS use a 6 pointed socket, the 12 pointed variety are a swearing session waiting to happen!!!

Indeedy, I just need to get a ratchet to fit the smaller socket. Looks like another trip to Mr T in the morning, then maybe by Easter weekend I'll have these blasted lift bolts swapped over!

Even though my car has very low mileage i usually change out my fastners for newer ones to prevent them seizing or rounding off. It can be a pain as i had to drill a broken stud out today, It rusted round the edges and wouldnt come undone with an extractor. instead i had to drill it through and fit a new bolt.

Once you remove it do not over tighten it, these aluminium heads can be a pain to work with and getting a bolt seized up can be a big problem.thumbsup.gif

Pay a visit to machine mart and buy a stud extractor set...always useful to have in the tool kit

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pro57-4-pce-stud-extractor-set/path/tap-die-sets-files-extractors

How do these work? Can't tell from the picture.

inside the socket are 3 roller barrings sat in a cam profile....the socket fits over the stud....when you move the socket the roller bearings are forced inwards and grip the stud very tightly.....by far the best method of removing stud type bolts....never let me down removing studs from an old turbo and rusted studs on an old cylinder head

Evening gents. Set about changing my lift bolts this afternoon, only to get as far as removing the spark plug covers and get no further. The last bolt (on the left) has rounded off and I can't get the bugger out. Its strange as I only changed the plugs last week and had no problem.

I was reading your thread last night and was thinking that the screw in question came out very easily when I last changed the spark plugs so was fairly confident of removing it today. Ended up with the same result as yourself! :toast:

Anyway, here's a pic following of my ex 110k mile lift bolts, the worst area is facing, round the back they're only lightly burnished. If you have good eyesight, the bolt second from left has an amount of galling just above and to the right of the worn step. I've had the new bolts for around 2 1/2 years but just got around to it. Been out for a spin - there is no noticeable difference in lift.

Cheers.

14bf2h.jpg

I was reading your thread last night and was thinking that the screw in question came out very easily when I last changed the spark plugs so was fairly confident of removing it today. Ended up with the same result as yourself! :toast:

Anyway, here's a pic following of my ex 110k mile lift bolts, the worst area is facing, round the back they're only lightly burnished. If you have good eyesight, the bolt second from left has an amount of galling just above and to the right of the worn step. I've had the new bolts for around 2 1/2 years but just got around to it. Been out for a spin - there is no noticeable difference in lift.

Cheers.

14bf2h.jpg

Good stuff. Where are you that its sunny, no fair! With any luck I'll finally get the bolts swapped tomorrow or Monday. What guide did you follow?

I'm in Liverpool - I only live here though, not from here...

I didn't use a guide, been maintaining my cars since the first one back in '88.

Did you get your bolt out? I'm lucky to have always had a set of 4" stillys for small work like this, saved me many a time. Will take the bolt into work on Tuesday and one of the machine shop fellas will sort me out with a die to clean it up, to be honest for what it does and what it costs it'll do until I am passing Toyota next time.

You can actually get your rocker cover off with the last spark plug cover stuck in there you know, just undo the nut holding your A/C pipe to the anti vibration mount and gently swivel the pipe up and over the rocker cover toward the front of the car. Once it's off you'll maybe find better access to get the bugger out.

Cheers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links