Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speedcamera Database

alositha

Hi I am new to here. Just bought a 2010 prius t spirit. Just wondering if anyone knows how to install a speed camere database on the in built sat nav if possible. I am sorry if it has already been discussed here but browsed through several pages did not see anything regarding that.

Thank you

Hi sorry as far as I know it cannot be done wish it could be though.

In a word, No.

I would guess that one of the reasons that the in-built GPS don't have a facility to add speed camera databases is that the customers doesn't get to directly choose the model of GPS that is installed. At times, I do wonder about the priorities and skills of the executives, engineers and buyers working for these car companies, as when the suppliers turn up to pitch their built-in GPS products, I would put a Garmin sat-nav on the table and ask them why their product isn't as easy to use or doesn't have this or that feature.

Hi I am new to here. Just bought a 2010 prius t spirit. Just wondering if anyone knows how to install a speed camere database on the in built sat nav if possible. I am sorry if it has already been discussed here but browsed through several pages did not see anything regarding that.

Thank you

Speeding ?, in a Prius, unheard of :eek:

Perhaps someone would let me know why it is necessary to have details of speed camera sites

Perhaps someone would let me know why it is necessary to have details of speed camera sites

So you have warning that the driver in front is about to hit the brakes hard, even though he was already below the limit.

• Like 1

I do like someone with an ironic sense of humour :rolleyes: ;) :lol:

Google the Inforad K1. Stick one of those on your dash. They cost coppers and come with a free lifetime subscription to the PGPSW database.

• Like 1

Google the Inforad K1. Stick one of those on your dash. They cost coppers and come with a free lifetime subscription to the PGPSW database.

The PGPSW database is the most accurate one I have found.

It is very up to date and works with a fair few satnavs too.

The PGPSW database is the most accurate one I have found.

It is very up to date and works with a fair few satnavs too

Yes you are correct !! the Inforad K1 uses the PGPSW database !! It is available from Halfords for about £40 it is not perfect but very usable

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_728571_langId_-1_categoryId_165641

Speed cameras are roadside hazards which cause vehicles to brake sharply and unexpectedly so it is very handy to know when you are coming up to one. They are also (supposd to be) located at accident hotspots so again, very handy to know when you are approaching one of those.

I think the key point of the K1 is that it is the size of a usb pen drive so you can just put it in your pocket when you leave the car and you also get free lifetime updates of the speed camera data base !!

The pain I find with sat navs such as Tomtom is that you have to remove them from your windscreen and put out of site each time you stop !! with the K1 it is not so much of a problem and with the built in sat nav works quite well but not perfect

• Like 1

The point I was trying to make was that as speed cameras are sighted within stretches of road that are subject, by law, to restrictions of speed, so if drivers excerted some degree of self discipline, and kept to the speed limit, there would be no need for them to have speed camera data bases. It would seem that drivers who exceed speed limits do so because they think that they can get away with doing so - reminds me of certain MPs who thought they could fiddle their expensss. Is all this not a culture of 'I don't agree with this law or rule so I'm going to ignore it ?

The point I was trying to make was that as speed cameras are sighted within stretches of road that are subject, by law, to restrictions of speed, so if drivers excerted some degree of self discipline, and kept to the speed limit, there would be no need for them to have speed camera data bases. It would seem that drivers who exceed speed limits do so because they think that they can get away with doing so - reminds me of certain MPs who thought they could fiddle their expensss. Is all this not a culture of 'I don't agree with this law or rule so I'm going to ignore it ?

Could'nt agree more, what a waste of money a speed camera database is, we should all be driving within the limits and if we don't then pay the price of a fine and have points. I have had a couple of speeding tickets over the years and have held my hands up, you are caught and thats it. A database is not going to do you much good when you are caught by a mobile van, which IMHO is far more likely than a fixed camera, and yes I know databases have likely mobile sites listed too

What I do not agree with is the systematic raping of the motorist, cameras im my opinion to not make for safer roads, they make millions of ££££'s because the motorist is seen as a soft touch

Kingo :thumbsup:

And you have never, ever, exceeded a speed limit?

Speed Cameras should be dug up and junked. They're bad on so many points and are seen, rightly or wrongly as revenue makers.

Instead, why not Police it the old fashioned way with a Copper? They can then use their discretion, maybe give you a telling off, maybe give you a ticket if needed. We don't have Speed Cameras in North Yorkshire, but we do have the Police out regularly. I've been stopped once and warned for doing 35 in a 30 zone. No ticket, but the telling off worked and I am now extra careful. If I drive down Wakefield way however, I come across Speed Camera after Speed Camera and you spend half your time looking for them and making sure you don't go 1mph over the limit, rather than looking at the road ahead - Pedestrians watch out!

... we should all be driving within the limits ...

The reality is that many many drivers don't and also don't pay much attention to what is going on around them. Then they suddenly see a speed camera and on go the brakes. :eek:

... we should all be driving within the limits ...

The reality is that many many drivers don't and also don't pay much attention to what is going on around them. Then they suddenly see a speed camera and on go the brakes. :eek:

I know, I think I said as much, it still deosnt make speed camera databases any better. Invest in some driver training and bin the camera database is IMHO the better option, money better spent

What amuses me is following people cruising at the speed limit and watching them brake when they see the camera. Don't they realise they are at the legal limit already? Its an automatic reaction - see camera and brake.

Especially on those sections of wide open road that appear to look like a 60 mph zone but is actually only a 30 mph zone. You have to look hard as the last speed limit sign was about 2 miles down the road. You might get a reminder just before the camera, but by that point everyone has hit the brakes.

I'm sure the councils in these areas will justify it but we all know the reason for cameras - £££££

Thank you everyone for all the input here. I have a tomtom sat nav and iPhone with tomtom installed. i have also subscribed to PGPSW. the reason why i was wondering whether the inbuilt system could be customised is that not having another gadget stick on the windscreen. i also rang toyota tech support team through the premium number and the answer was no as the car is an European model and in certain countries, it is illegal to have a speed camera database.

i think it would have been nicer if users could customise the POI of the inbuilt system.

Thanks again

Could'nt agree more, what a waste of money a speed camera database is, we should all be driving within the limits and if we don't then pay the price of a fine and have points. I have had a couple of speeding tickets over the years and have held my hands up, you are caught and thats it. A database is not going to do you much good when you are caught by a mobile van, which IMHO is far more likely than a fixed camera, and yes I know databases have likely mobile sites listed too

What I do not agree with is the systematic raping of the motorist, cameras im my opinion to not make for safer roads, they make millions of ££££'s because the motorist is seen as a soft touch

Kingo

I think you do not quite understand how a speed camera data base works ??? It is not a license to speed between cameras and avoid a penalty ticket !!firstly they do warn of speed camera areas ( fixed AND MOBILE SITES )!! these cameras according to the government are placed in these areas as they known accident black spots .if the warnings remind the motorist that this is an accident black spot area the speed camera warning data base has done its job .

To be honest 99% of the time I obey the speed limits and if I do not its usually just a lack in concentration on my behalf ?? can you honestly hand on heart say that the speed limit on motorways of 70 MPH with today's standard of vehicles is acceptable .

The main danger on the roads these days are caused by cars driving in a manner that is dangerous which because of the lack of police cars patrolling the roads do not get caught !! not the driver going 35 MPH in a 30MPH zone

• Like 1

Yes, I have broken the speed limit on the motorways, very rarely in towns. If people kept to speed limits there would be no need for speed cameras.

I use a Novus GPS Rider after my old Talex system died. Speed Camera's are nothing more than a system for generating revenue and for every one in an accident blackspot there are probably 2 more just for the extra pennies they claw in. I stick to speed limit's in built up area's but everywhere else I drive / ride (as I am an anti-social biker as well) at a speed appropriate to the prevailing conditions.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links