Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sparkplug/ignition Coil Problem On 2000 Mr-S

aliya

Hope someone can help here.

I've looked through the threads about similar problems but I don't think they isolate my problem. I have a 2000 MR-S which has lost all power and is running extremely rough with juddering and shaking and a wonderful tractor type engine noise. I changed the sparkplugs but that had little effect. I took it to a mechanic but unfortunately - as many other people have experienced - his computer couldn't talk to my car as it didn't speak Japanese. Neither did the AA bloke's. The mechanic is guessing it's the ignition coil packs and thinks all four may need replacing, but he didn't want to tell me to definitely go out and get them as it may be something else.

Additionally the engine is extremely hot and has partly melted the gaffer tape on the coils.

I may have to pay £90+VAT just to get a diagnostic, but that's a last resort if anyone else has a similar experience.

Here's hoping someone has a good idea - thanks in advance for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

You have probably sorted it by now,

but generally only one coil goes at once so the cheapest and easiest way to fix the problem is have a look on the internet such as eBay, get yourself one pencil coil and replace each pencil coil with the new one until you find the one causing you a problem as the engine will run fine when replaced.

I have just done one on a Renault, very easy to fit, it was just held in with a 10mm bolt and then unclip the electrical connection.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links