Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs Problem On 2005 2.0 D4D - Any Ideas?

peanutome

Avensis, 2005 2.0 D4D, has just failed its MOT because the ABS light does not light up when the ignition is switched on. It should come on and then go off again after a system check, but it does not light at all. Stamped on the brakes on the way home and the ABS defo works.

Its in at Toyota tomorrow for a diagnostic, but are there any common faults in the system that it could be - Just want to prepair myself for the sort of money and work involved!

Any suggestion?

David

Avensis, 2005 2.0 D4D, has just failed its MOT because the ABS light does not light up when the ignition is switched on. It should come on and then go off again after a system check, but it does not light at all. Stamped on the brakes on the way home and the ABS defo works.

Its in at Toyota tomorrow for a diagnostic, but are there any common faults in the system that it could be - Just want to prepair myself for the sort of money and work involved!

Any suggestion?

David

The first and simplist check is, has the ABS bulb blown? That what it sounds like to me.

Unfortunately I don't own your model, so some else with experience may be able to help on how to change the bulb.

Good luck.

Bulb failure was my first thought and the diagnostic tomorrow may show that. If it does I have no idea how to get the clock assy. out to change the bulb.

Time will tell

Regards

david

Bulb failure was my first thought and the diagnostic tomorrow may show that. If it does I have no idea how to get the clock assy. out to change the bulb.

Time will tell

Regards

david

I had a dash bulb (econo) fail on my Mk1 Avensis. The bulb cost 60p and it took the removal of 2 screws in the upper cowling surround. Then 3 screws from the instruments, then it was tilted forward to access the back. Cable are connected, but still had the access to change any bulb. I changed it less than 20 minutes. Hopefully the Mk2s are similar. I could be wrong.

Diagnostic? Just swap a working bulb then see if the ABS lights when you turn the key! Always start simple and cheap then work your way up.

I say that, because you are going to have a dianostic which is not cheap unless you are doing it yourself or know a mate. I don't normally respond to non Mk1 queries, but this general.

Let us know how you get on.

As long as the ABS works, its the bulb. You may likely have a spare bulb behing your panel. Check first af is there is none, you may exchange one of the one for gear change (use les often like L/S/1/2 below D.

Well not the bulb or anything quite so CHEAP! It turns out that the 'Combination Meter', complete speedo and rev counter assy, is faulty and apparently not interpreting the signal from the ABS system and therefore not illuminating the light. The cost, well - £690 for the clocks and £180 labour for diagnostic and fitting PLUS VAT!

Luckily I have a third party Warranty that runs out in 11 days, but they have agreed to pay! FEW!!!!!!!!!!

May ask if I can keep the old clocks as a souvenir!

Only problem is that the mileage is going to read Zero so always going to have to explain that one for MOT's, garages and when I sell it on.

David

Hi David,

Lucky you did have the warranty. That is a very expensive bulb fix! Glad it has been resolved. :thumbsup:

Here is me thinking the bulb may have blown when in fact the instrument panel is faulty.

You were spot on in getting the diagnostic done and I was wrong.

Hi David,

Lucky you did have the warranty. That is a very expensive bulb fix! Glad it has been resolved. :thumbsup:

Here is me thinking the bulb may have blown when in fact the instrument panel is faulty.

You were spot on in getting the diagnostic done and I was wrong.

Cheers for the reply, though effectively it was the same thing as a blown bulb as the panel being replaced does nothing to control the ABS it just displays a warning! The ABS works fine, damned modern electronics!

RANT:

I find it absurd that a car can be un-roadworthy and fail an MOT because a light does not light up on the dash board! ABS is nice but it is an addition to a car not a core function and therefore should not be involved in an MOT. My wifes car does not have ABS and will pass an MOT, and if my car started to skid under braking then I would caddence brake and lift off the brake and re-apply as needed as I was taught when I learned to drive . This modern dependence on electronic gizmo's is why modern drivers are becoming tail gating ubiks! Lovely cosseted cars make you feel invincible but in reality they are the same tin cans on wheels that are killing machines when used incorrectly or with ignorance!

WOW sorry for the rant, got it off my chest now! Wow only 37 years old and already OLD!

David

• Like 1

David,

You took the words right out of my mouth. I agree with you on every thing you said in your rant. You are correct in saying that ABS failure does not effect the stopping power. Since it was failure of the warning system and not the ABS itself, then the car is safe.

The real problem is that the cars are full of electronics that can fail, and are very expesive to fix. Your simple promblem is a classic example.

ABS is part of the MOT and the warning light is part of the ABS system. Some people remove the bulb to hide the ABS fault, and test stop this 'practice'. As I said before, you were very unlucky with the failure, but lucky to have the warranty!

I have to say that VW are worse. When they have an electronic fault, it is a problem to fix.

Konrad

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links