Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Exhaust Noise Is Normal?

IronIron

Im still in my first week of ownership of an IQ, but Ive noticed another issue of concern which I feel I need to ask other owners about:

After the car has been running for a while, if you leave it at tickover the exhaust starts to make a put-put-put noise. It sounds like an exhaust does when it rusts through and has a hole in it.

I was all set to ring up my dealer and ask them to look at it, but found the following comment in an Autoexpress website review of the IQ:

However, we have noticed that the iQ’s exhaust makes much more noise than it used to – it’s almost as if it has a hole in it. We asked Toyota about this, but it said everything is fine, and that it’s simply the nature of the car’s system.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/longtermtests/240151/toyota_iq_8186_miles.html

I know the engine is de-tuned, could this be a side effect of that? The noise doesnt really bother me, but I just want to make sure its normal and there isnt something wrong.

Thanks

Does the noise go away if you rev the engine and let down to idle again?

Also - do you have the 1.0 or 1.33 l engine?

Does the noise go away if you rev the engine and let down to idle again?

Also - do you have the 1.0 or 1.33 l engine?

1.0L and I usually only hear it at idle after the engine is warm. I spoke to my dealer yesterday and they said it was normal, but I dont trust dealers and expected them to say that anyway :)

Everything im hearing/reading seems to imply its normal, but I can hear it quite loud sometimes inside the car when sitting in traffic like the whole back of the car is rattling. It doesnt do it all the time though, might drive for a few mins then sit in traffic again and it doesnt do it that time. I guess its the EMS trying to save fuel or emissions or something.

Its a bit weird, but I can live with it as long as its not a fault.

It's normal.... its what comes of having only 3 cylinders... (my old BMW 5 series which was a straight 6 was a lot smoother...) (it reminds me of a tuc-tuc ;))

It's normal.... its what comes of having only 3 cylinders... (my old BMW 5 series which was a straight 6 was a lot smoother...) (it reminds me of a tuc-tuc ;))

I dont see how it can completely be blamed on the 3 cylinders. I had an Aygo before this (same engine) and it never made that noise.

Perhaps the noise is a result of the shorter exhaust pipe? Does the Smart have this problem too?

it's a common noise on smaller engines with a smaller exhaust, I had mini mayfair and the tuc tuc tuc tuc noise gave it quite a character, same with my IQ2 ;0)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links