Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low Oil Pressure On Sr180

Andy SR180

Hi

On my way to work turned a very sharp corner and got the low oil pressure alarm, so must need a top up.

What oil to I need for my SR180 ? There seems to be a bit of debate about this and I don't have ny handbook with me.

Would Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A1 or Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 be correct or is something else better ?

Thanks

Andy

Both are good enough brands, the difference between 1 or the other is going to be negligible.

There might be "better" (i.e. more costly), but those two options will do the job as good as any other.

however the more pressing question is:

Is your car going through that much oil between services that the low pressure light comes up? A very heavy cornering can generate a momentary oil pressure signal, but it does not mean the car needs an oil top up.

I drive hard round corners and even at the end of the service interval, I might have lost 2mm on the oil dipstick (from Max) .

On a personal note, I use to find my previous cars ran much better if the oil was not topped up to the max. However this requires you to monitor the oil more frequently and replace it more often. On some occasions I use to run the car at 1/4 of oil indicator markers and the engine revved much more easily.

However, on a Compression Ignition engine the friction forces are greater and also the rev range is lower, so the benefit will not so great.

Only Mobil is suitable for your car. Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 does not meet the Acea C2,C3 specifications.

But if you want to use Castrol, Edge 5W-30 should be right for your car.

The Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 which I use (have been using for 1.5 years) meets the requirements of A1/B1, which is specified in the book.

Only Mobil is suitable for your car. Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 does not meet the Acea C2,C3 specifications.

The Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 which I use (have been using for 1.5 years) meets the requirements of A1/B1, which is specified in the book.

That´s strange. If you go to say Castrol.com, it always recommends C2 or C3 oil for diesels with DPF-filter.

I read my owners manual and it states also, that Acea B1 is recommended for 2AD-FHV engine.

But for 1AD-FTV engine WITH DPF-filter it demands ACEA C2 oil :blink:

So... ???

That´s strange. If you go to say Castrol.com, it always recommends C2 or C3 oil for diesels with DPF-filter.

I read my owners manual and it states also, that Acea B1 is recommended for 2AD-FHV engine.

So... ???

I would trust my manual more than I would trust a 3rd party web site.

The original poster has an SR180, which has the 2AD-FHV engine, same as mine. The Magnatec conforms to A1/B1, which is stated in our book to be suitable.

Cant comment on the 1AD engine as i dont have that.

Well my understanding about this is that DPF-filter = use Acea C2 oil. Owner manual states, that if you have it you should

use that oil. If don´t, Acea A1/B1 is fine.(1AD-FTV)

So, why should 2AD-FHV engine be any different? It has DPF-filter and even more

complex exhaust treatment system.

But also as you said customer should be able to trust your cars owners manual.

• Like 1

Both are good enough brands, the difference between 1 or the other is going to be negligible.

There might be "better" (i.e. more costly), but those two options will do the job as good as any other.

however the more pressing question is:

Is your car going through that much oil between services that the low pressure light comes up? A very heavy cornering can generate a momentary oil pressure signal, but it does not mean the car needs an oil top up.

I drive hard round corners and even at the end of the service interval, I might have lost 2mm on the oil dipstick (from Max) .

On a personal note, I use to find my previous cars ran much better if the oil was not topped up to the max. However this requires you to monitor the oil more frequently and replace it more often. On some occasions I use to run the car at 1/4 of oil indicator markers and the engine revved much more easily.

However, on a Compression Ignition engine the friction forces are greater and also the rev range is lower, so the benefit will not so great.

hi aurissimo

oil quetions again i see.

if your engine is reving better with lower oil level then its only because the oil temp is higher due to less capacity and lowering viscocity therefor less drag.

depends a lot if your using straight mineral,semi synthetic or fully synthetic oils.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but i got the warning again after nearly 10k miles, so needs a service again...

I only get the low oil pressure warning when going round a corner or roundabout sharply/quickly.

So I was looking to buy a litre of oil to tide me over and thought i needed the C2 stuff, but when I checked the manual as suggested above it says use the ACEA B1 oil.

I also checked on the carlube website and doing a search on the registration tells me to use C2 oil,

a bit confusing !!??

http://www.carlube.co.uk/index.cfm?product=138

Just, wondering what people are actually putting in there T180/SR180 2AD-FHV engine ???

Cheers

Andy

Hi

On my way to work turned a very sharp corner and got the low oil pressure alarm, so must need a top up.

What oil to I need for my SR180 ? There seems to be a bit of debate about this and I don't have ny handbook with me.

Would Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A1 or Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 be correct or is something else better ?

Thanks

Andy

Andy this may or may not help. I emailed Castrol some time ago to ask why they state on there web site that EDGE (5w-30) was suitable for my car when Opie Oils says its not. This was there reply...

Thank you for your e-mail. Apologies for the delay in replying.

You are correct that the preferred oil for Toyotas such as your Avensis

fitted with diesel particulate filters (DPF)is a 5W-30 meeting the ACEA

C2 specification, however Toyota also accepted a 5W-30 engine oil

meeting the ACEA B1 specification - even though this second type of oil

is not what is called low ash, the normal requirement for DPF equipped

vehicles.

We have made the recommendations you have seen on the website because

the ACEA C2 specification is equal to the ACEA C3 specification in terms

of DPF compatibility. Both specifications use the same chemical limits

which define them as low ash oils. The difference between the two is

that the C2 specification includes a more severe fuel economy

requirement than the C3 specification. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 has

demonstrated this fuel economy capability and so can claim C2 and C3,

whereas Castrol Edge 5W-30, which is formulated more towards engine

protection than fuel economy, has not demonstrated the fuel economy

benefit and so claims C3 only.

Because of the particular design of Toyota's DPF system, it is actually

more tolerant of the type of engine oil used than some other

manufacturer's vehicles, this is why Toyota accept the use of a

conventional (i.e. high ash) oil meeting the ACEA B1 specification if a

5W-30 low ash oil is not readily available. This explains why our

secondary recommendation on the website is Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A1

which meets the ACEA B1 specification.

I hope this explanation reassures you that our recommendations are based

on sound interpretation of the ACEA specifications along with Toyota's

requirements and that anyone following our recommendations will not

compromise the reliability of their vehicle.

Please contact us again should you require any further information.

Regards.

Automotive Technical Manager

Lubricants UK & Ireland

Technical Helpdesk: UK 0845 082 1719

ROI 1 800 509 353

Switchboard: +44 (0)1793 512712

I went for Mobil 1 ESP (5w-30) for my T-180 as I wanted the C2 spec as the TBN (Total base number) of both Castrol EDGE and Mobil 1 ESP are similar. Maybe there's a reason why some people are having problems with there D-CAT's and EGR because of the "Higher Ash" found in some oils!... Who knows.Though both EDGE and ESP both meet VW's 507 00 spec's... :thumbsup:

There are oils out there which are better called Ester oils (As Mobil is something called a "Cracked" synth and not a true synthetic) But you'll pay a lot more for them. I bought my ESP off Fleabay for £26 for 5ltr delivered...

I've just been on the carlube web site and put in my reg, and it comes up with a semi 15w/40!!! Which is a load of !Removed!! :censor: :ffs:

It also states to use a DOT 3 brake fluid for the Auris! I wouldn't put that in the next door neighbours lawn mower! lol... Thinking about it I might as he's a bit of a :censor: :yahoo::naughty:

Motul RBF 600 Factory Line racing brake fluid is what I use in my motor :thumbsup:

You're welcome mate. :thumbsup:

So... ???

I think that Mobil 1 ESP covers both C2/C3 if I remember correctly. So you're covering both bases with that one. Just popped to the car to check on the tin and it does.Also covers API;CF and JASO DL-1 as well as Porsche, BMW, Peugoet/Citroen specs ect.

Its a shame that ESP 5w-30 (TBN 5.4) doesn't have the same TBN number (For wear) as Mobil 1 (0w-40) does.at 11.3

I've just been back onto the Castrol Uk web site, and for some reason now they are not suggesting EDGE oil for my car when I type in the reg number as it did befor. It suggests EDGE for the 2.2 D4-D. But not for the 2.2 D-CAT, It now refers you back to the main dealer! Now thats a bit strange :blink:

Could this be a turn around by Castrol regarding the D-CAT 2.2 oil recommendation for DPF?

I've just been back onto the Castrol Uk web site, and for some reason now they are not suggesting EDGE oil for my car when I type in the reg number as it did befor. It suggests EDGE for the 2.2 D4-D. But not for the 2.2 D-CAT, It now refers you back to the main dealer! Now thats a bit strange :blink:

Could this be a turn around by Castrol regarding the D-CAT 2.2 oil recommendation for DPF?

Hi Mistermenaa.

a while ago i posted how i asked my local Mr T what oil they used and they said Castrol magnatec profesionel C2 5w 30.this cant be brought over the counter.when i rang Castrol and got a chap who knows what he is talking about,he told Castrol do not reccomened normal magnatec or Edge for diesels with a DPF.i beleave there is several different magnatec oils so maybe they now have one thats C2 or c3.jaguar diesels which i thought were much the same as ford one.there dealer use another type casrol proffessionel grade a C3.they say you can top up your sump with magnatec but do not top up with edge whatever you do. all very strange.my handbook states for diesels you should use a c2.

grade.as ive said ive posted about this before,but have not got a clue how to put up a link for it.

• Like 1

Hi Mistermenaa.

a while ago i posted how i asked my local Mr T what oil they used and they said Castrol magnatec profesionel C2 5w 30.this cant be brought over the counter.when i rang Castrol and got a chap who knows what he is talking about,he told Castrol do not reccomened normal magnatec or Edge for diesels with a DPF.i beleave there is several different magnatec oils so maybe they now have one thats C2 or c3.jaguar diesels which i thought were much the same as ford one.there dealer use another type casrol proffessionel grade a C3.they say you can top up your sump with magnatec but do not top up with edge whatever you do. all very strange.my handbook states for diesels you should use a c2.

grade.as ive said ive posted about this before,but have not got a clue how to put up a link for it.

Hi Acetip,

It seems to be a bit of a mine field when it comes to oil spec's and grades! I'm a bit of an oil head when it comes to using the right product for my cars, and I believe that some oils could be doing some harm to the DPF if you use the wrong one. The owners handbook sometimes doesn't help with this matter due to giving many alternatives. But I'm guessing they have to so owners have a choice if the grade/spec they require is not readly available.

in the do-it-yourself section page 270 in handbook it hardly mentions C2 other than if you cant get it use B1.

but in specifications section page 395 there is a warning about C2.this warning should be on both pages.

as many people dont study there handbooks,and ask questions about things that can be answered by just reading there handbook.

• Like 1

in the do-it-yourself section page 270 in handbook it hardly mentions C2 other than if you cant get it use B1.

but in specifications section page 395 there is a warning about C2.this warning should be on both pages.

as many people dont study there handbooks,and ask questions about things that can be answered by just reading there handbook.

You're totaly correct here mate. It should be stated on all pages with regards to oil specs you need for your car. :thumbsup:

Hi Mistermenaa.

Hi Acetip,

It seems to be a bit of a mine field when it comes to oil spec's and grades! I'm a bit of an oil head when it comes to using the right product for my cars, and I believe that some oils could be doing some harm to the DPF if you use the wrong one. The owners handbook sometimes doesn't help with this matter due to giving many alternatives. But I'm guessing they have to so owners have a choice if the grade/spec they require is not readly available.

i m just the same,being fussy what oil i use.most oils are good enugh where hydroscopic lubrication takes place (bearings,bores etc),but where this effect does not occure as in valve gear which is also whee the heaviest loads take place per square inch the wrong spec oil can cause advanced wear.use the wrong or poor fuel in your car you will notice it.so puting a good fuel in will cure the problem.put a poor or wrong oil in your engine and it will take many thousands of miles before you notice something is wrong.the damage is done,so what ever oil you put in aftrwards its not going to put it right.oil is cheaper than bearings.dont skimp on it i say.

Hi Mistermenaa.

Hi Acetip,

i m just the same,being fussy what oil i use.most oils are good enugh where hydroscopic lubrication takes place (bearings,bores etc),but where this effect does not occure as in valve gear which is also whee the heaviest loads take place per square inch the wrong spec oil can cause advanced wear.use the wrong or poor fuel in your car you will notice it.so puting a good fuel in will cure the problem.put a poor or wrong oil in your engine and it will take many thousands of miles before you notice something is wrong.the damage is done,so what ever oil you put in aftrwards its not going to put it right.oil is cheaper than bearings.dont skimp on it i say.

I agree with you again on these points. Using any kind of lube that isn't upto the spec is a false economy in the long term. so is using some cheap fuels IMO. Its the same as us eating crap foods and expecting to be in the best of health. It just doesn't happen. Oil is the life blood of an engine, keeping the engine running as it should and helping maintain valves/bearings ect as you said. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I use Magnetec A1 5w-30 (the A1 is fully synth, the other Magnetec is only part) which is the same as the Toyota dealer does so I'm happy to use it to keep the warranty good. Bought a load from Costco at £16 for 4 litres, can be had from Asda for about £24 all a lot cheaper than the dealer.

For more oil info see: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, can anyone help after filling the oil back up with ACEA -B1, I am still getting the "low fuel pressure" warning for a second when sharply turning right at a junction or roundabout.

I did have this a year ago and after being serviced it was fine, It is needing another service soon but I presumed topping the oil would resolve this till I can get it serviced.

What else could be causing this warning ??

Cheers

Andy

The oil might be sludging up and not getting around the engine properly, but if its the correct grade of oil from a dealer, and still within the service time, i'd be surprised if that was the issue.

Okay, can anyone help after filling the oil back up with ACEA -B1, I am still getting the "low fuel pressure" warning for a second when sharply turning right at a junction or roundabout.

I did have this a year ago and after being serviced it was fine, It is needing another service soon but I presumed topping the oil would resolve this till I can get it serviced.

What else could be causing this warning ??

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Do you mean "Low oil pressure?" rather than "Fuel pressure?" If its the oil pressure then it could be a faulty pressure switch. Have you put the correct amount of oil in the sump? What was the SAE of the oil you put in?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links