Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Multimode Versions Of The Iq Range

robwestglam

Hello there.

Just after some advice.

I am looking for a new car, and i am giving serious consideration to the IQs -however it has to be the automatic multimode versions.

I have read some bad reviews of the multimode transmissions in the Aygo and the Yaris. However, reviews of the multimode transmission in the IQs seem to be much more favourable. They appear to indicate that the transmission in the IQ is an entirely new unit, and therefore is not troubled by the problems encountered by that of the units in the Aygo and the Yaris.

I was just wondering if there are any IQ multimode owners out there who through their own experience could verify these favourable reviews. Imparticular,is it a smooth transmission?- like that of a conventional automatic.

Thanks in advance for your time

Rob

A CVT should be smoother then a conventional automatic transmission.

Make a testdrive and see for yourself :thumbsup:

hi rob, i have a iq2 i ltr multimode transmission, best gearbox i ever had, you dont even feel it changr gear, its so smooth, hope that helps regards roger.

Hello there.

Just after some advice.

I am looking for a new car, and i am giving serious consideration to the IQs -however it has to be the automatic multimode versions.

I have read some bad reviews of the multimode transmissions in the Aygo and the Yaris. However, reviews of the multimode transmission in the IQs seem to be much more favourable. They appear to indicate that the transmission in the IQ is an entirely new unit, and therefore is not troubled by the problems encountered by that of the units in the Aygo and the Yaris.

I was just wondering if there are any IQ multimode owners out there who through their own experience could verify these favourable reviews. Imparticular,is it a smooth transmission?- like that of a conventional automatic.

Rob

If the information given from the manual driver in this forum is accurate, then there is a 10-18 mpg difference between a CVT IQ and a manual one. Which is fairly huge in my perspective, I would have get a manual one if I can pick again...

The CVT can make more noise in some case however the tradeoff is better fuel economy than the traditional auto gearbox.

IQ is still a fairly new model compare to Aygo and Yaris and you don't usually see problems at such an early stage. Give it one or two more years when some driver reach 100,000km+ with IQ and we shall be able to give a fair comparison.

hi rob, i have a iq2 i ltr multimode transmission, best gearbox i ever had, you dont even feel it changr gear, its so smooth, hope that helps regards roger.

Yes it does help Roger-very reassuring-

thank you for taking the time to respond

rob

A CVT should be smoother then a conventional automatic transmission.

Make a testdrive and see for yourself :thumbsup:

testdrive is not possible-none of the dealers in my area stock the multimode as the 'test drive' veichle-they are all manual.

I have to disagree with you on the cvt issue however- last year i test drove a yaris(multi mode,cvt), aygo (multimode, cvt), honda jazz (cvt-semi auto), chevrolet matiz (conventional auto), hyundai I10 (conventional auto)-

the two conventional autos were by far the smoothest transmissions.

but thanks anyway for taking the time to respond.

Hello there.

Just after some advice.

Rob

If the information given from the manual driver in this forum is accurate, then there is a 10-18 mpg difference between a CVT IQ and a manual one. Which is fairly huge in my perspective, I would have get a manual one if I can pick again...

The CVT can make more noise in some case however the tradeoff is better fuel economy than the traditional auto gearbox.

IQ is still a fairly new model compare to Aygo and Yaris and you don't usually see problems at such an early stage. Give it one or two more years when some driver reach 100,000km+ with IQ and we shall be able to give a fair comparison.

thanks-yes i am aware of the drop in economy on the multimode- however, due to a disability, the manual is not an option-but thanks anyway for your time

Hello there.

Just after some advice.

Rob

In my experience the iQ CVT is smoother than a traditional (torque converter) automatic and definitely much smoother than Multimode. And it should be.

Just to avoid confusion let's get the Toyota lingo clarified:

MultiMode = automated manual gearbox. This is used in Aygo and Yaris, Auris/Corolla

MultiDrive = Constantly Variable Transmission (CVT). Used in iQ, Verso, RAV4 and Avensis

Automatic = uses a torque converter and fixed ratios. Used with the 2.2 D4D.

Multimode and Multidrive are two very different gearboxes and have nothing in common apart from both transfering power from the engine to the wheels at different ratios. The reason CVTs are smoother than a traditional automatic is because it doesn't have to change between fixed gear ratios. As the name suggests, it just varies the ratio continuously. This mean it can keep the engine rev at peak torque for best acceleration (for instance).

MultiMode is a normal manual gearbox with added actuators that operate the clutch and shift gears for you. Therefore these will be the most jerky or all as they have to disengage power while shifting gear. VW has made attempts to minimise this effect by splitting the gears in odd and even and having two clutches, which makes it bahave quite similar to a traditional gearbox. But let's leave that for another day. Toyota use a single clutch as you would on a manual car.

On the more powerful engines found in Avensis, Rav4 and Verso, Toyota has programmed the controller to use 7 steps. I believe this mode is used when you drive hard and could possibly be perceived as somewhat jerky. Normally though, the CVT is unbeatable for smoothness. This is why the Prius and Lexus hybrids use CVT.

CVTs are also more efficient than a traditional automatic since it doesn't use a torque converter (which loses alot of energy to heat).

Hmmm... far too long reply as usual. Hope this helps.

Good clear explanation. I've driven both the multimode (Smart) and the CVT (Lexus) and found the winner to be the CVT hands down. Multimode too jerky and slow. The CVT is a new experience but after driving it for 30 minutes to learn it's characteristics I found I really liked it.

I have a multidrive iQ and the CVT is brilliant, just like a normal automatic. I also drive a Peugeot 107 2-tronic (identical to an Aygo multimode) and I think as semi-auto's go it is really good. Just have to know how to drive it to make the gear changes smooth. It is probably a bit more responive that my iQ because it has a proper 'kickdown'.

Both are good, but the iQ's CVT is more refined.

MultiDrive = Constantly Variable Transmission (CVT). Used in iQ, Verso, RAV4 and Avensis

The Prius uses the CVT transmission too.

Totally O/Topic

By chance my neighbour, a retired Ford mechanic, gave me some older Ford magazines.

One magazine features the NEW Ford CTX variable gearbox, the magazine is dated March 1987. Probably the grandad of the Toyota system.

Rgds

Totally O/Topic

By chance my neighbour, a retired Ford mechanic, gave me some older Ford magazines.

One magazine features the NEW Ford CTX variable gearbox, the magazine is dated March 1987. Probably the grandad of the Toyota system.

Rgds

I believe the CVT gear technology has been around for over hundred years :)

Just that it cannot be applied onto automobile due to materials and some other reasons.

Totally O/Topic

Rgds

Just that it cannot be applied onto automobile due to materials and some other reasons.

I think the concept is older than that. I read somewhere that Leonardo da Vinci apparently described such a concept. I asked Mr T about changing our 6-spd manual to CVT. He politely smiled (calling me a t0sser?) and said it would cost as much as the car to convert it. He appreciated my interest (calling me an idiot?) and wished me well for the day. If you don't ask, you'll never know, eh?

Totally O/Topic

Rgds

I think the concept is older than that. I read somewhere that Leonardo da Vinci apparently described such a concept. I asked Mr T about changing our 6-spd manual to CVT. He politely smiled (calling me a t0sser?) and said it would cost as much as the car to convert it. He appreciated my interest (calling me an idiot?) and wished me well for the day. If you don't ask, you'll never know, eh?

That must be a very bad sales. I would have asked you to tradein your manual IQ for a CVT IQ and earn commission :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links