Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fifth Gear Honda Crz Review

cootuk

I see Fifth Gear had the CRZ Hybrid this week.

(I only watch for Vicki's dirty laugh, honest, though the CRZ didn't have her giggling and squeaking)

Big savings compared to a Scirocco for tax and petrol (56.5mpg quoted).

But...quite cramped and a fairly small 14bhp electric engine, 112bhp 1.5l petrol.

No Prius bashing here.

I wish Toyota would take the opportunity and make one as well...I wouldn't mind one but I don't like Honda's IMA...The engine runs all the time and it sounds quite rough...

I saw a demo out for a run on the A1 on the way home from work last week. It must be a shed load lighter than the Prius because I could not catch it in power mode, and I was trying :) The looks where a bit quirky, but it was a black one and maybe it didn't suit it as well as the white you see in the adverts.

It certainly seemed quick enough over some of the back roads as well as I was behind it until it pulled in at Raby Castle.

It must be a shed load lighter than the Prius because I could not catch it in power mode, and I was trying :)

lol, you can't have been trying hard enough :rolleyes:

There's drivers, and there's drivers :thumbsup:

It must be a shed load lighter than the Prius because I could not catch it in power mode, and I was trying :)

lol, you can't have been trying hard enough :rolleyes:

There's drivers, and there's drivers :thumbsup:

I was :) trust me mate, that said he never got away from me on the tighter A roads because I have my Cusco and Tanabe braces fitted underneath. My little milk float handles really well now in the grand scheme of things. The point and squirt acceleration of the CRZ was pretty impressive, it fired out of bends well enough ...... Honda must have fitted KERS to it. It was definatley pulling away from me on acceleration, mine was floored and MPG dropped to a thin slither on the guage ....... all done at speeds that where within the law on the A roads.

I don't know if the CRZ has a manual / cvt or dsg type gear box though, that could make a huge difference. For me the CRZ takes hybrids in the right direction, but I'm not sure if it will be enough to tempt people away from Scirocco's etc.

It's a 6 speed, manual gearbox, on the CR-Z

It's a 6 speed, manual gearbox, on the CR-Z

I had the CR-Z for a Test-Drive and yes, the acceleration was pretty good. Normally we don't have a speed-limit in Germany on motorways so I had the chance to accelerate to top speed which should be 200 km/h (about 124 mph) according to Honda's data-sheet.

The CR-Z was very good until it reached 130 km/h (81 mph). Then the power is gone and it went very slowly up to 175 km/h (109 mph). I drove about 30 km on the motorway with accelerator-pedal pressed to the bottom and didn't manage to get to the indicated top speed of 124 mph.

The Honda CR-Z looks faster as it is.

In January I had a Prius. This car accelerated up to 185 km/h (115 mph) continuously. I'd prefer to drive a Prius or better, my new Auris Hybrid which I hopefully get beginning of September.

Another thing: Honda claims the CR-Z have 4 seats. A Toyota IQ has more place on the rear seats than the CR-Z do and even in the IQ no adults are able to sit on the rear seat.

• 2 weeks later...

The CR-Z is a 2-seater in the US, the european model has some kind of a back seat, but it's not meant for people, it's for small bags you wouldn't want to put in the trunk.

I'll have one for a test-drive next month, I hope it will be stronger than an Insight.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links