Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Winter Tyres

Worlds End Stu

Hi All,

Just looking at the lovely weather (not!) outside has reminded me I want to get a set of winter tyres for my RAV.

Looking at various reviews the Continental ExtremeWinterContact comes out very good and also the ContiCrossContact winter.

Having trouble finding anywhere online that actually stocks the ExtremeWinterContact though...

Does anyone have any experience using these or have any other recommendations for winter tyres?

Cheers!

Stu.

Hello Stu

Don't know what tyres are fitted your RAV (4.1?) but I have found the Yokohama Geolandars that came with mine (4.3) to be excellent in snow and ice (in combination of course with 4WD). No great big knobbly tread but very good grip nevertheless. For my previous RAV (4.2) I bought a set of steel wheels with proper snow tyres but found them noisy and inefficient in terms of fuel economy, and at any rate I did not really need them - and that was in the north of Scotland.

Hope you find something that suits you and your car!

Maria

I am just coming up to 19000 miles and the Yokohama Geolandars that where factory fitted on mine are still going strong, the RAV is 18 months old, saw me through the snow and ice happily last/this year, in fact the 4wd only kicked in when I was being a prawn and playing in a car park and I had to push it some for it to kick in, I will happily replace with the same when the time comes.

Gus

I am just coming up to 19000 miles and the Yokohama Geolandars that where factory fitted on mine are still going strong, the RAV is 18 months old, saw me through the snow and ice happily last/this year, in fact the 4wd only kicked in when I was being a prawn and playing in a car park and I had to push it some for it to kick in, I will happily replace with the same when the time comes.

Gus

I bought a set of 17" XTR wheels for my T180 and im about to buy snow tyres for Nov-Apr. I am thinking about Vredestein Wintrac4's. I have a set for my VW Golf and they have made all the difference through the winter. I think they would be a great combo on the Rav. I also considered Michelin Aplin but can't find a site on-line that sells them?

Blue

In the past I've used Vredestein snowtrak tyres and was very pleased with them. They were on a Justy and I never managed to get it stuck. Also had Michelin snow tyres (Snowtrac I think). They had a little square tread on them and they were good too. These were on a Misti Pinin and I tried really hard to get it stuck but failed miserably. :thumbsup: (It still went round in circles at every opportunity it got though.)

For my current Rav I have a set of steel wheels and BFGoodrich All Terrain's. They do the job perfectly well but I think a better choice would have been the Mud Terrain's if you were going down the road of something as serious as that. The AT's don't shed the snow as well as a proper snow tyre would, and I suspect the MT's may do that better and not clog up as much. I have had to dig out this Rav on several occasions but that probably has more to do with the vehicle than the tyres.

Hi All,

Just looking at the lovely weather (not!) outside has reminded me I want to get a set of winter tyres for my RAV.

Looking at various reviews the Continental ExtremeWinterContact comes out very good and also the ContiCrossContact winter.

Having trouble finding anywhere online that actually stocks the ExtremeWinterContact though...

Does anyone have any experience using these or have any other recommendations for winter tyres?

Cheers!

Stu.

hello Stu

I ve the Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6 as for winter time. No complains, so far.

Cheers/Igor

Gus

I bought a set of 17" XTR wheels for my T180 and im about to buy snow tyres for Nov-Apr. I am thinking about Vredestein Wintrac4's. I have a set for my VW Golf and they have made all the difference through the winter. I think they would be a great combo on the Rav. I also considered Michelin Aplin but can't find a site on-line that sells them?

Blue

As a t180 owner, I have to ask, did you manage to turn of the TPMS lamp or did you fit the TPMS valves?

Gus

Blue

As a t180 owner, I have to ask, did you manage to turn of the TPMS lamp or did you fit the TPMS valves?

I havent done the changover yet! But when I do I am prepared to have the run flat indicator on. No major problem. I'm not paying for valves!!

• 2 months later...

*****, I didn't realise buying winter tyres would be such a hassle in England!

The Contis that got the great reviews are impossible to find and I noticed in the last few weeks that the websites that were advertising any winter tyres were now showing a greatly reduced choice of tyres.

My local Kwikfit chap even tried to tell me winter tyres weren't necessary (I beg to differ. I spent 8 years not far from the Alps and I know exactly what difference they can make, even if it is for just a few really bad days in the winter).

Anyway, to make a boring story short, I finally settled on getting some Hankook Ice Bears for my RAV 4.1 (215 / 70 /16) from Black Circles at a cost of £94 per corner fully fitted and balanced, etc.

Initial impressions are good. They seem to ride nicer than the cheap and cheerful tyres the previous owner had fitted and I can't detect any noticeable increase in road noise.

I'll let y'all know how they wear over time and how they grip in the winter weather.

BRING ON THE SNOW !

:-)

Hi All,

Cheers!

Stu.

hi Stu

i use dunlop grantrek sj6 -- work good.

cheers/Igor

Hi All,

Cheers!

Stu.

hi Stu

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

Following your earlier post I had a look for those Dunlops to see what deals were available as they had pretty good reviews on the web. Again, I couldn't find anyone who was actually selling them. :-(

I can only assume there currently just isn't the demand for winter tyres in the UK to make it worthwhile anyone stocking a decent selection.

Stu.

Hi All,

Cheers!

Stu.

hi Stu

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

Following your earlier post I had a look for those Dunlops to see what deals were available as they had pretty good reviews on the web. Again, I couldn't find anyone who was actually selling them. :-(

I can only assume there currently just isn't the demand for winter tyres in the UK to make it worthwhile anyone stocking a decent selection.

Stu.

what about special order with minor prepayment in the shop?

i presume they can manage it. or i am mistaken these ones are not for import in the UK ?

i ve seen yr last winter with snow height and many cars over roads -- the sellers have to change their minds to have clients satisfied :) cheers/Igor

Getting winter tyres can be pretty difficult.

My RAV is on Pirelli Scorpion Ice&Snow for the winter but they had to be ordered well in advance. 225-65/17 @ £134 per corner. Managed to get a set of Hankook 440 Icebears for my daughter from Camskill.

Many makes are completely sold out. Contis may be available again about mid December and Vredestein's next general delivery into the UK will be in the New Year!

1; Winter tyres can make a big difference, dont believe it if someone tells you that you dont need them in UK , they are made from softer compound rubber which works better in cold , they are not made just for snowy roads they will give you more grip on wet or dry road as well ( if the safety matters to you - the stopping distance is much shorter with winter tyres)

2; Not many drivers in UK are using them :eek: that is why it is so hard to buy them here , but you can try foreign sellers ( From Germany , Holland , etc.)

This is just a example of such a seller ( i have no connection or financial interest with this company )

I used them 3 times so far and was always satisfied.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=1319004.110.19441&typ=R-108236&ranzahl=4&Breite=215&Quer=70&Felge=16&Load=99&Speed=S&weiter=30&Ang_pro_Seite=10&Transport=P&dsco=110

1; Winter tyres can make a big difference, dont believe it if someone tells you that you dont need them in UK , they are made from softer compound rubber which works better in cold , they are not made just for snowy roads they will give you more grip on wet or dry road as well ( if the safety matters to you - the stopping distance is much shorter with winter tyres)

2; Not many drivers in UK are using them :eek: that is why it is so hard to buy them here , but you can try foreign sellers ( From Germany , Holland , etc.)

This is just a example of such a seller ( i have no connection or financial interest with this company )

I used them 3 times so far and was always satisfied.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=1319004.110.19441&typ=R-108236&ranzahl=4&Breite=215&Quer=70&Felge=16&Load=99&Speed=S&weiter=30&Ang_pro_Seite=10&Transport=P&dsco=110

I have Continental Winter contact TS 830 195/65 R15 91T on my Prius. I bought them last winter and have just put them back on. They have done well in a range of comparative tests and I found them excellent in the snow last winter. I had no difficulty buying them in the UK. Got them from Black Boots in Chesham for £75 a corner fitted.

Honest John in his Saturday Telegraph column says that a 2WD on winter tyres is better than a 4WD on non winter tyres. Is that really so?

• Like 1

4 Wheel Drive with ABS on snow tends to have a longer braking distance because, if the snow isn't fully compressed, the tyres of a 2 WD tend to bury themselves when braked upon heavily. But those circumstances aren't that widely available. Usually the snow is fairly compressed already. Having more control over the car is better then.

Broader tyres also aren't always good. In slippery conditions without ABS you get less braking distance with smaller tyres, because they press harder on the small parts where they actually contact the surface. But with small tyres you will get out of control a lot easier because you happen to have less grip.

Greetz

Pim

Honest John in his Saturday Telegraph column says that a 2WD on winter tyres is better than a 4WD on non winter tyres. Is that really so?

I seriously doubt it, the physics just doesn't add up. The weight is spread across 4 wheels in either car, each having a certain maximum grip giving a max forward force before slip occurs.

If only 2 wheels are driven instead of 4 then only half the forward force is available in comparison.

Of course a 4wd on crap tyres will be worse than a fwd on proper winters, but what a stupid comparison in the first place! You may as well say that a fiesta on racing slicks will be quicker than a veyron on cart wheels!!!

I seriously doubt it, the physics just doesn't add up. The weight is spread across 4 wheels in either car, each having a certain maximum grip giving a max forward force before slip occurs.

If only 2 wheels are driven instead of 4 then only half the forward force is available in comparison.

Of course a 4wd on crap tyres will be worse than a fwd on proper winters, but what a stupid comparison in the first place! You may as well say that a fiesta on racing slicks will be quicker than a veyron on cart wheels!!!

I agree with Honest John. And from expereince. It's simply because the different tyre compound used in proper winter tyres will always give you better grip than 4 ordinary tyres which can't flex and bite at lower temperatures. If they all have the same amount of tread, the winter tyres below 7'c, especially on snow and ice, will give you the better grip.

Would changing even just the front tyres to snow tyres help? Wasnt sure if it would upset the 4wd system in anyway.

Also, those with Rav 4.3's and a spare wheel on door, is it a 5th alloy wheel behind the cover or just a steel wheel?

With the new XT5 due soon, and I have got 5 spare matching alloys, was thinking 4 alloys with OEM tyres + 2 alloys with winter tyres + 4 alloys with a good set of tyres?

or do I go 5 OEM tyres + 5 winter tyres?

I had the Winter Contacts on a previous car but not long enough to really test them out. Opted for Pirelli Ice and Snow for the Rav4 as, bizarrely, a pair of used ones came up on eBay.co.uk for £55 delivered! Still had just over 5mm of tread so fine for this winter (new pair of same then ordered and fitted to the rear). Ordered the new ones from a Polish company trading as Oponeo.fr but I don't know if they do UK delivery. In the past, friends have used Camskill in the UK for snow tyres.

It's currently snowing a lot here and I've just driven downhill 7km on the uncleared, windy mountain roads at around 30/40 kph with no scary incidents to report (other than the low visibility).

Smiler, a 4x4 should have 4 matching snow tyres (same tread pattern) but if only fitting two then the accepted wisdom is to put them on the rear UNLESS you're a very skilled driver who can competently handle over/under steer (I forget which is the more relevant here).

In any case, going uphill is normally easy - downhill in snow is the hard bit. For that, in my experience, better/snow tyres on the rear act like an anchor and keep the rear true - last thing you want is the car doing 180s as you turn.

All good words of wisdom, the oversteer I have experienced (and didnt like it at all!), forgot to reset the adjustable diff on my Impreza before heading out and about on the snow, I had had it on rear as much as possible from previous outing, I may as well have been in a BMW!.

Using engine braking and gears I find useful too for reducing speed.

Hopefully the tyres will be half decent on new car, pick it up tomorrow. Just trying to get hold of the snow tyres anywhere is a bu**er!

Took the plunge and ordered a set of Continental ContiCrossContact snow tyres 235/55/R18s (that's me stuck with the T180 for a few more years then).

So need a new set of alloys. I have a note from somwehere of what their spec should be, so can someone confirm the following:

* 5 stud

* PCD = 114.3 mm

* Offset = 35 to 38 mm

* Bore = 60.0 mm

I've got;

PCD (basically the diameter of a circle that passes through the 5 studs) of 114.3mm, an offset of between 35 and 45mm and a bore of 60.1mm

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links