Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cycle Carrier / Tow Bar Hitch

Bike Nut

Hello, as my username shows I am a very keen cyclist and I would like to carry my bike using the Prius. I already have a tow-bar mounted cycle carrier which I use on my Volvo XC90(average 26MPG). I would prefer to use this carrier on the Prius. I know that the Prius is not recommended as a tow vehicle (the XC90 does that)but I have seen a hitch manufactured by Curt in the USA.

http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?event=hitch

Has any one imported & fitted one of these hitches? If so do you have any info on who to contact/use to import one? Is there an alternative to the Curt?

Many thanks, Bikenut.

I know it's not what you asked but I can get my bike in the back quite easily with the seats down.

Be interested to see what racks there are though

Cheers for the replies, I have carried two bikes in my Prius with the seats down etc which works well, not bad with road bikes. They usually stay clean, but its the mud that's all over the mountain bikes then all over the inside of the car afterwards (especially with the lightest grey carpet on earth in the boot!). Another hassle is I have to remove my work equipment from the boot and then replace it afterwards.

The Priuscarrier.com option looks good. A bit more investigation required first.

Hi, Have a look at Mont Blanc website. They do a couple of models of bike carrier that attach to the tailgate, with no web type straps. I bought the High Performance H3. It attaches to top and bottom of tailgate and you have two levers that once you have set up once you merely have to close to lock onto car. I bought one and it seems very secure and takes 3 bikes. They do a high back and lower loading style. You get a clear protectors to add to your paintwork to stop any damage. I bought additional on e bay to protect top of bumper to avoid any damage as I moved it om and off the car.

I was used to a tow bar one and didn't want to move to straps etc, but the cost re kitting the Prius out again was just not worth it and the limited choice. The clear protectors were easy to fit. I can fit the carrier in less than a minute. The only issue I have with it, the attachments for the Prius make the carrier a bit awkward to carry and store.

I got mine at machine mart.

http://www.montblancuk.co.uk/our-products/bike-rack/rear-cycle-rack/rear-cycle-carrier-performance/

Hi, Have a look at Mont Blanc website. They do a couple of models of bike carrier that attach to the tailgate, with no web type straps. I bought the High Performance H3. It attaches to top and bottom of tailgate and you have two levers that once you have set up once you merely have to close to lock onto car. I bought one and it seems very secure and takes 3 bikes. They do a high back and lower loading style. You get a clear protectors to add to your paintwork to stop any damage. I bought additional on e bay to protect top of bumper to avoid any damage as I moved it om and off the car.

I was used to a tow bar one and didn't want to move to straps etc, but the cost re kitting the Prius out again was just not worth it and the limited choice. The clear protectors were easy to fit. I can fit the carrier in less than a minute. The only issue I have with it, the attachments for the Prius make the carrier a bit awkward to carry and store.

I got mine at machine mart.

http://www.montblancuk.co.uk/our-products/bike-rack/rear-cycle-rack/rear-cycle-carrier-performance/

Hi pmf, thanks for the info. Do the high carriers lift the bikes clear of the number plate and lights? I know many drivers don't bother with a light board but if I do get a carrier I'd like to remain legal.

the bike clears the number plate, but the Prius lights are high so with a full size bike, the wheels cover the the lights. I would therefore recommend a lighting board. For the money I find it a very neat solution. Fit the clear protectors carefully and as I advised I put a couple on top of bumper as well, as you tend to rest it on top of bumper as you put in place, and hold the extension arms until you hook them into place at top of tail gate. It feels very secure once locked in place.

• 4 weeks later...

I just noticed this comment from Melissa Coulton on Toyota's "New Prius - everything you need to know" blog:

As confirmed this morning, a rear-mounted cycle carrier for the Prius will be available from November (exact date still to be confirmed).

Cheers for that, I will make some enquires. At the moment its probably going to be the Prius Carrier, just sorting out what needs to be done for the electrics.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have gone for the Prius Carrier and will be fitting it this weekend with the electrics the following week. I will post pictures etc if anyone is interested.

• 2 months later...

Bike nut

Was this easy to self install or did it require u to take to a garage. Ie is there existing holes this rack bolts into

What's the advantage over Roof Rack other than drag and efficiency

Hi Gmac70, I chose the Prius carrier over a Roof Rack mounted carrier as there is a lot a hassle in taking a Roof Rack on and off. I did not want to affect the aero dynamics on a daily basis and the thought of putting on and removing the roof rack/carriers twice a week...

I use the cycle carrier around twice a week and have no regrets in taking this option. On the mount I use my atera 3 bike carrier (from www.roofbox.co.uk) which I previously purchased for use with my other car, a Volvo XC90.

The carrier uses existing holes and no drilling is required (4 bolts of which 2 which hold a shipping bracket, this is removed and the bracket which holds the rear silencer). It is easily fitted and I done it myself in my garage with no special tools. As for the electrics, I paid £65 to have them fitted at indespension which also included a tow-ball.

Recently I used the Prius with 3 full suspension mountain bikes, 3 blokes and gear to the Lakes and sitting at the speed limits from Newcastle to Carlisle on A69 and then to Penrith on the M6 then A66 to Keswick and then south to Ambleside, I averaged a indicated 56mpg for the journey. Oh and I still had my work kit in the boot.

As for your previous post, I would recommend a long test drive and try and ignore your first impressions of the plastics etc. Also ignore the engine note when climbing hills, the rest of the driving experience will far out weigh these initial niggles. In my opinion this car is better for town and A roads, very relaxing to drive and good MPG. As long as your not looking for the miles per gallon you get out of a diesel on a motorway, you wont be disappointed. I have covered 8.5k miles so far and don't regret moving from a long line of diesels to the Prius.

Bikenut - any chance of a photo of the rack in position ?

Thanks

Jon

Jon, no problem. It will have to be at the weekend when I am at home when its light enough to take a reasonable snap.

Bikenut

Cheers for the pics, where did you get electrics done ?

Also do you know whether that prius carrier invalidates ur warranty ?

The electrics were done by indespension, I don't know if the carrier or electrics will affect the manufacturers warranty, maybe it could but my company car leasing company said I could fit them as long as they were removed when I return the car in Sept 2013.

• 2 months later...

Is this not just the bike carrier. I can't see the actual tow bar fitting for the car. Prius carrier do also sell a Thule towbar kit

My link was only for the cycle carrier but Thule do the drawbar

Page 7 of this pdf document

http://www.bestautodesign.ro/carlige/catalog_brink_en.pdf

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links