Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warning Lights Coming On And Car Cutting Out Temporarily

Trevx6r

Help for a 2007 T Spirit D-4D

Whilst in Cruise Control at about 65mph all of a sudden the car started slowing down for no reason at all, when I pressed the accelerator nothing happened, then after about 10 seconds and after also changing down to fourth gear the car started to pick up again. It was then that I noticed that the Malfunction Indicator Lamp, the Vehicle Stability Control System Lamp and the Traction Control System Lamp were all showing on the dash display.

After stopping and turning off the ignition, I found that when I turned the Ignition back on the Vehicle Stability Control System Lamp and the Traction Control System Lamp went off (as do the Slip Indicator Lamp and the Anti-Lock Brake System Lamp) but then both the Vehicle Stability Control System Lamp and the Traction Control System Lamp come back on. Also now, when I start the engine the Malfunction Indicator Lamp, the Vehicle Stability Control System Lamp and the Traction Control System Lamp all stay on, the car seems to drive OK but I have not really pushed it to see if the Vehicle Stability Control System and the Traction Control System actually work, just in case.

Does any one have any ideas on this and what the repair bill may be?

Thanks.

Hi,

For such events, one or more error codes have been stored in the car's computer.

You need an OBD2 reader or a Toyota Intelligent Tester (Dealer) to read the code(s) that lead to a diagnosis.

Anything else is just a wild guess.

The dashboard lights are just flags to signal there is a code available.

Hi There, this sounds very similar to my problem. In my Avensis 1.8vvti, I was accelerating on a dual carriage way and all of a sudden there was a momentary loss of power (only a split second however), then after that the Engine light, VSC and TRC lights stayed on even after stopping and starting the car etc..

It sounds like might you have the same issue, I got the fault code read and it relates to a malfunction in the Knock Sensor, but I would advise you get your fault code checked in case it is something else.

If it cut your power off for that long, then I would definetely advise you get it checked sooner rather than later, I think if the Engine Management detects a problem with the Knock Sensor and cant get a signal from it, it will go into a fail-safe mode and only let you move at a very slow speed.

Toyota quoted me about £250 for a new Knock Sensor, but you might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere.

Thanks Guys but I'm really confused now

This originally happened on Sunday, did not use car on Monday, had to go out this morning for a short trip and it still had the same problem, was still the same on return journey home after a five minute stop.

But then after I had parked it up, and as usual, I forgot to push the button to put the wing mirrors in (I'm still getting used to the car) I noticed that when I switched on the ignition to do this the TCR & VSC warning lights went out and stayed out, I then re started the car and now have no warning lights coming up?

I have ordered an OBD2 Diagnostic Reader from eBay after reading some other posts and will have to see what happens

Thanks again

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links