Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3S-Fe Timing Belt 2.0 Avensis.

AvensisT22

Hi there...

I'm changing the timing belt on my 1999 Avensis 3S-FE 2.0 Engine , it seems to have been making a slapping sound against the Timing covers.

I have a factory manual for the 3S-FE I'm assuming they've never changed...

So I've taken off the drive belts off the alternator, AC Compressor and power steering.

I've taken off entire engine mount and taken off the NO.1 Timing belt cover..

The belt is so slack, If I put finger pressure upon it, it'll touch the belt on the opposing side....

Anyway, I tried to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt, put the car in 1st gear and got someone to push the brake, it didn't work, the crankshaft just turned anti-clockwise so I'll try with an impact wrench tommorow...

The real issue I have is I've lined the bottom crankshaft pulley mark up with the 0 on the timing scale on the side of the engine.... but the pulley will not line up with the mark no matter how many times I rotate the engine clockwise 360 degrees...

The car ran, started and drove with plenty of power....

Maybe the belt slipped when I turned the crankshaft anti-clockwise by hand...

I'm right in thinking this engine is non-interferance?

Can you do any damage to the engine, if you time it incorrectly?

I'm going to take the belt off, I won't mark it as the timing marks aren't lined up.

I bought a Gates powergrip kit with new springs, tensioner and idler... so I'll replace them all.

Help would be very much appreciated especially tips.

To Avensis T22.

This is an odd one, (your engine is an interference engine)as your engine as only crank/cam timing marks. Although it has a number of c/shaft timing marks ie: on the pulley itself & when you remove the pulley you will see another mark on bottom c/shaft pulley drive gear which is locked to crank via woodruff key, i think once you remove bottom pulley, it will become quite clear to you. These are pretty straight forward to time, just as an extra precaution, remove plugs & make sure number 1 cyl is on compression stroke before removing old belt assembly.

Regards, Beagh.

Just to confirm, I can't do any damage by turning the engine by hand from the crankshaft pulley, either clockwise or anticlockwise can I?

This won't bend any valves in the engine?

I noticed when I turn it when belt goes slack, the tight and it's harder to turn when it gets tighter then slackens up suddenly again making it easier to turn... I can't hear any worrying metallic noises, which is a good sign...

But still the Crankcase Pulley notch and the 0 timing mark and the Camshaft Pulley Hole and the mark and the 12 notch that lines up when the pulley and mark meet are not in sync... I've tried turning the engine backwards but the belt doesn't slip any teeth, so It can't of been before of that....

If I take the belt off as it is now...

and Manually set each Pulley to the factory marks... by turning the Camshaft and Crank seperately will I do any damage?

Please help :) I really thought this engine was non-interference lots of places seem to suggest that the 3S-FE is freewheeling...

Replies appreciated ASAP please.

To Avensis T22.

You seem to have started two strings to this one question. Once you have the bottom pulley removed, you will clearly see the crankshaft timing mark & you cannot miss the camshaft mark. I can only go on what the Autodata boook says in relation to your car being interference or non interference. That's besides the point, once you have the new belt fitted, turn the engine by hand 2 full revolutions to check alignment marks. If the engine marks line up & nothing has touched, your ready to go. They really are very simlple to align.

Good luck, Beagh.

To Avensis T22.

You seem to have started two strings to this one question. Once you have the bottom pulley removed, you will clearly see the crankshaft timing mark & you cannot miss the camshaft mark. I can only go on what the Autodata boook says in relation to your car being interference or non interference. That's besides the point, once you have the new belt fitted, turn the engine by hand 2 full revolutions to check alignment marks. If the engine marks line up & nothing has touched, your ready to go. They really are very simlple to align.

Good luck, Beagh.

i wouldnt turn engine anti clockwise...gives extra slack in the timing belt and makes it easier to jump a tooth without noticing well thats how it was whhen i was a lad, only turn clockwise. if marks dont line up,belt off adjust pulleys,try again,if struggling to turn remove plugs to relieve compression in cylinders, if it locks up...oh dear do not continue turning engine,release everything and start again. do not force anything to turn

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links