Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying An 00-03 Mr2 - Pre-Cat Issues To Watch For

elredso

Hi guys,

After getting knocked off of my motorbike I am not keen to get back on one ! so am using the insurance money from the accident to put towards a new car. I have decided on the MR2 Roadster - and believe that now is the best time to buy (as no one is looking for a convertible in this miserable weather)

I am however MASSIVELY concerned about the pre-cat/oval bore issue - from what I have read, most other issues are easy enough and not hugely costly to fix - apart from this one.

I am looking at 60-75K examples - and my question is : If they have lasted this long, is it likely they will suffer from the pre-cat issue (from what I have read it is more often seen at around 40K - if it is going to happen) - regardless, once I have picked it up I plan to remove the pre-cat -but just wanted to know, if a car with this kind of mileage was likely to have the issue or not, or would it have manifested itself earlier ???

Thanks

Ian

Hi and welcome to the club Ian

Sorry for the late reply.

If you look HERE You will see my reply to a similar question.

I can only say that in my own opinion Pre-cats are not the problem and never have been, I respect those that consider this to be an engine destroyer but if the rings have gummed up and the bores are beginning to wear, removing the pre-cats won't make a jot of difference, by all means take them out if it gives you peace of mind but my original header with pre-cats still intact is in my garage and it wouldn't bother me to put it back on the car in the slightest, it would bother me if I started consuming oil though but at 91.000 miles, no oil/water usage (at all) I seem to be ok so far. ;)

Buying any car second hand is always a gamble and you will never really know it's history unless it comes from a known source, try get a 2003+ model (Mines a 2002) and at least you will know it should have the modified piston design.

Good luck in your search and keep in touch :thumbsup:

Les

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links