Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Winter Weather Driving

alphalogan

Drove my Auris for the first time yesterday in the snow and ice using main roads and minor roads (trip was necessary) had my shovel, blanket and spare gallon of petrol in boot plus a large sack of garden compost for weight distribution and found the car handled extremely well with no heart stopping moments. Very pleased.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Could be becuase of your tyres. I agree as well coming from a Fabia VRS the power delivery of the Auris 2.0 d4d is not as agressive making life easier when moving off.

ALWAYS clear your windows and lights before leaving. Helps to see and be seen.

In driving in snow and ice the secret is planning/ anticipation and doing everything slowly, slowly accelerate, slow brake slow- slow down well in advance and feel the brakes to see if you have grip, better to stop early than too late.

AND give other drivers more room, there is a lot of idiots on the road, male and female.

when you get a chance try a few heavy braking attempts to see what happens- an empty car park is good.

practise makes perfect.

Used to drive a RAV4 so was little nervous about taking my Hybrid Auris out in the snow. However, it performed extremly well for a two wheel drive - better than many two wheel drive BMW's I've seen this week. :thumbsup:

I just wish some people would stop sitting just a cars length or two behind me at 30 mph in temperatures of -3 or 4! :censor:

Used to drive a RAV4 so was little nervous about taking my Hybrid Auris out in the snow. However, it performed extremly well for a two wheel drive - better than many two wheel drive BMW's I've seen this week. :thumbsup:

I just wish some people would stop sitting just a cars length or two behind me at 30 mph in temperatures of -3 or 4! :censor:

The 2 wheel drive BMW's - think they're rear wheel drive - crap in the snow and ice!

Tailgating is suicidal in the dry, in this weather it's positively lunatic - especially if the guy in front has winter tyres (which are supposed to be the be-all and end-all of driving this weather)

I drove my SR180 in the snow for the first time last night, and i have to admit, i didn't enjoy it.

The tyres seem to be pretty poor compared to previous cars running Toyo's on, and if it wasn't for ESP i would have barely got around roundabouts as the tyres just snow plowed at gentle speeds.

I'm really not looking forward to my 150 mile drive home for Xmas on thursday night, its going to be a very long and stressful drive.

Also remove as much snow from your car before setting off. Snow adds weight to upper areas of the car thus raising its centre of gravity so even if you are lucky enough to drive on a clear road the car will perform quite differently. The effect being similar to that of driving with a Roof Rack and top box - not good for fuel consumption either.

Also remember you could be fined £60 for driving with what may be seen as dangerous levels of snow on the roof - see link below.:)

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/849809-drivers-face-60-fine-for-driving-with-snow-on-car-roof

The 2 wheel drive BMW's - think they're rear wheel drive - crap in the snow and ice!

Tailgating is suicidal in the dry, in this weather it's positively lunatic - especially if the guy in front has winter tyres (which are supposed to be the be-all and end-all of driving this weather)

Yup BMW's are front engine rear wheel drive, the worst potential configuration for drive wheel traction, though good fun with power oversteer on the non hilly bits!

As far as 2 wheel drive goes for driving in snow as far as traction is concerened I'd recon ....

Front engine rear wheel drive = worst

Front engine front wheel drive = better

Rear engine rear wheel drive = best

Of course there are other variables like tyres and driving ability.

I saw a guy the other day trying to get up a hill, his technique was to drop the clutch in first gear and rev to 6000 Rrpm, hold it there for a minute or so with the wheels spinning until the tyres were smoking nicely (perhaps he thought he could melt his way up by having hot tyres!) ..... then reverse a yard or so and try again .... and again ... and again .... and again ... and!! He was getting soooooo infuriated as other folks were just driving past him up the hill with little difficulty.

Is an auris really a Toyota?

I tried to fill the washer bottle with more concentrated screen wash. How on earth do you open the bonnet when it is frozen shut, and when you give up, without opening it, how do you secure the catch again before driving off.

I miss the thought that went into the Celicas.

Chris

ALWAYS clear your windows and lights before leaving. Helps to see and be seen.

A good point in terms of safety but also legally now!!! As Jamesbelfast stated above, drivers have been fined for allowing large amounts of snow / ice to gather on their vehicle (which presumably could fall off) causing dangerous conditions for the vehicles behind. Take heed of this warning, ha ha.

Also on the subject of winter driving, i've only had my Auris (SR180) since Sunday 19th and i've found it extremely competant in the snow. The torque helps with a smooth take off and it's gotten up some drives I would have struggled with in my previous BMW (which was great fun in this weather and will be sadly missed).

Regards all.

Dave.

I saw a guy the other day trying to get up a hill, his technique was to drop the clutch in first gear and rev to 6000 Rrpm,

Ha ha...

hold it there for a minute or so with the wheels spinning until the tyres were smoking nicely (perhaps he thought he could melt his way up by having hot tyres!)

ROFL

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links