Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Error Code 19 (4) Cannot Be Solved?

drdree

Errorcode 19 (4) cannot be solved? Avensis, D-4D, T22, 2000.

I’ve been struggling for almost one year with my Avensis.

I’m living in the Netherlands and desperately hoping that anyone could help me! Two official Toyota dealers spent so much time (and money), but cannot solve the problem. I’ve spent about € 1.000,-- on repairs so far.

When in a traffic jam, or stoping at a traffic signal, not so much during the actual driving, the error code pops up and the engine enters fail-safe mode. Restarting the engine after some seconds, temporary deletes the error code.

This error code pops up nearly every day, now.

Both Toyota dealers read error code 19(4) "output limit" all the time. Familiar with code 19 "the closing position of the accelerator pedal", I’ve read? When the error occurs, temperature seems to be normal and most of the occasions the clutch is pressed and the car is in first gear.

Therefore, they replaced the accelerator pedal unit completely, disconnected the cruise control, replaced an accelerator sensor and replaced the intake manifold flap.

For some 12.000 km after all this, the error code seemed to be solved.

But now, since October it’s back again. It feels dangerous driving the car.

I’ve tried a diesel additive that should clean the injectors and fuel system. The engine works more smoothly, I’d say, but the error code keeps coming back.

Could you help me with this?

What exactly does error code 19(4) mean? Can it be related to the accelerator pedal. Why does the error code not pop up when driving?

Thank you so much!

Best regards, André (the Netherlands)

Hi Andre, I don't know of an error code 19(4) are you sure this is correct?

Pete.

Hi pete,

both dealers read this code. In the rav4-forum I've found a pdf-file with error-codes, containing a brief description of codes 19(1) to 19(4).

I'll attach it, when I've found out how. Thanks, andré

Hi Andre, I don't know of an error code 19(4) are you sure this is correct?

Pete.

They seem odd, most error codes start with a 'P' and have four numbers after it.

Are you sure its not P1904 for example?

Number nineteen (19) is a flashcode, just an earlier way/ptotocal to read of fault codes. It denotes a problem with your throttle position sensor, wiring circuit or ECM.

Regards, Beagh.

Hi Beagh,

thanks for your post.

The throttle postion sensor has been replaced.

Do you know if a second hand ECM could be replaced? Would that be expensive?

Could you know how to detect a problem in the wiring circuit? The circuit is huge?

And does anyone know why the flashcode pops up mostly, when I'm not actually driving, but when I stand still in a traffic jam or light?

Could the sensor that measure speed has to do something with it?

Thanks! André

Number nineteen (19) is a flashcode, just an earlier way/ptotocal to read of fault codes. It denotes a problem with your throttle position sensor, wiring circuit or ECM.

Regards, Beagh.

• 2 years later...

After much research and several trip to mechanics with no solution found fix from 2 hours of googling for fixing the error code 19 - symptoms are rough idle when up to temperature. Engine cuts out or is really sluggish after idle (usually after being stopped at lights) and need to restart car to fix. Simply a coolant temperature sensor - replace that and reset your ECU and done. Been struggling for six months with no solution. Car runs sweet as now.

The early Avensis used a older diagnostic system pre SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Standard.

19(4) = P1123 - Accel. Closed Position SW Circuit (Open)

* Short in accelerator pedal closed position switch circuit

* Accelerator closed position switch

* Engine ECU

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links