Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Steering

Rafal

Hi Guys

I have the following problem. I am driving 1997 Toyota Carina E 1.8 with 183k miles on the clock. Since approx 2 weeks I noticed that my power steering stopped working completely. The car is particularly hard to drive in the morning when it is very cold. After driving some miles and when it gets warmer, the power steering works just a little bit better but still very hard. I have noticed also that there is rattling noise coming from the area of where the water pump is, kind of loose part/bearing. But while the power steering pump is next to it I am assuming that this noise comes actually from the power steering pump. Strangly, about a week ago when I drove through large puddle of water and the power steering came back, only for approx next 2 days and it has been gone since then. It is extremely difficult to drive without it. What do you think could be a reason for it?

Thanks

Have you checked your steering fluid, could be low or could have a leak somewhere.

Have you checked your steering fluid, could be low or could have a leak somewhere.

I thought of this. It was quite low and I topped it up about 10 days ago. It did not make any difference and the level is the same as after I did it. I think that the fluid is not being transferred to where it needs to go but that is just my guess.

I thought of this. It was quite low and I topped it up about 10 days ago. It did not make any difference and the level is the same as after I did it. I think that the fluid is not being transferred to where it needs to go but that is just my guess.

an actuator piston seal can by passing fluid due to worn down.

In other words, what part do you think I should be looking to replace?

In other words, what part do you think I should be looking to replace?

hello mate

at first you must be sure where the failed part is before dismantling.

as to these seal -- it must be in the actuator piston/plunger(force cylinder)connected with rack under the radiator.

Cheers/Igor

Seized ball joint???? maybe your steering fluid needs changing could have some gunge in it

• 3 weeks later...

Did you have any oil on the dipstick when you first checked it before refilling?

If not, did you bleed the pump?

Wich oil did you put in the oilcanister? It should be ATF oil.

HAve you noticed any wet spots from under the car lately?

How about the belt that goes to the power steering pump. Is it ok?

To me these questions pops up when I read this thread. My advise is start looking at these easy things before swapping parts that is rather expensive.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links