Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loss Of Power, Another One!

weecorey

Hi, found this site whilst trying to find out what might be wrong with my 2002 D4D, 95,000 miles

Problem started quite a while back, some times when you slowed down from say 60mph and then went to accelerate again there would be no power, car would rev up to 3000rpm and build speed very slowly, cure was to pull over, switch car off and restart after a few seconds, sometime the engine management light would come on and other times it wouldn't. This could happen 3 times in the one short journey and might not happen again for a month.

Now the problem has got alot worse, the past couple of days the car would start off in first gear and rev up with no problems, go for 2nd and it wouldn't rev above 2000rpm, 3rd, 4th, 5th all the same.

Took the car to Toyota dealer today for diagnostics check got the following info; Checked fo DTC's found code 75 (8) Fuel pump system malfunction, carried out checks on fuel sensors ect... found SVC out of spec, requires suction control valve kit. £352 fitted including vat.

Car is driving a bit better this evening but still losing power frequently.

Dont know if this is connected but I have the car 18 months and the speedo has stopped working twice over that time???

I seen a post about changing SVC's and Kingo supplys them, do you think tis will cure my problem?

Hello Weecorey.....Does sound like a typical SCV problem. As you say Kingo will supply the kit at £230ish (I think). Changing them is relatively straight forward, they are colour coded and retained by two cap headed bolts.Access is at the front of the of the engine, there are a few pics on this forum showing their position....best of luck :thumbsup: Mick

Hi, found this site whilst trying to find out what might be wrong with my 2002 D4D, 95,000 miles

Problem started quite a while back, some times when you slowed down from say 60mph and then went to accelerate again there would be no power, car would rev up to 3000rpm and build speed very slowly, cure was to pull over, switch car off and restart after a few seconds, sometime the engine management light would come on and other times it wouldn't. This could happen 3 times in the one short journey and might not happen again for a month.

Now the problem has got alot worse, the past couple of days the car would start off in first gear and rev up with no problems, go for 2nd and it wouldn't rev above 2000rpm, 3rd, 4th, 5th all the same.

Took the car to Toyota dealer today for diagnostics check got the following info; Checked fo DTC's found code 75 (8) Fuel pump system malfunction, carried out checks on fuel sensors ect... found SVC out of spec, requires suction control valve kit. £352 fitted including vat.

Car is driving a bit better this evening but still losing power frequently.

Dont know if this is connected but I have the car 18 months and the speedo has stopped working twice over that time???

I seen a post about changing SVC's and Kingo supplys them, do you think tis will cure my problem?

hi mate

initially, the forum is a safe boat for everyone to know what to do in emergency. the physics laws have not been canceled by anyone yet, so you just have to read them thru and consider your case. The power enemies are the same but apppear in different spots !!!! As to SCV -- this is fuel valve normally closed when screwed in or mounted(!!!) it means when el signal OFF - this valve is closed and giving no fuel to the engine. When you turn ON your starting key the 12V signal goes to these SCV as well remaining them OPEN by means of a solenoid lifting force effect. When fed with ellectricity - each solenoid coil suffers from the internal temperature normally created because of physic law -- what then ---- this heat influences on the coil wire insulation thickness and especially in hot summer (both SCV are not cooled type)-- finally neither coil can work at these critical temperatures and sometimes because of insulation fault leading to a resistance reducing and finally to the coil burning out. This is what you will face with soon. That is why time to time we have to change bot SCV. Oh forgot to state --- what is the link between power lose and SCV -- the link is diirect -- when lifting force is variable (plays) the solenoid stem got played as well leading to a variable diesel supply to the engine. Now all must be clear for you. Cheers/Igor

Cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links