Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius V Civic Diesel

Prius57

Hi all

Just joined the club as i`m expecting to pick up a 57 plate T4 next week.

Always been a Toyota regular and like everyone else trying to lower my motoring costs and this proposition came up.

Have a 60 mile round trip daily commute, covering dual carriageway, A & B roads, and do about 17k a year, so hopefully it will be up to the job? !

My only reservations are the `leap of faith` with the new technology and how the car will cope with some of the apalling weather we have been exposed to these last few winters.... anybody willing to share experience on these?

It was a very close call between this and a civic 2.2 diesel but I guess my Toyota loyalty won through (as long as the mpg exceeds that of the civic I will be satisfied!) Does anybody have experience of these two cars to (hopefully) put my mind at rest?

Finally, a big thank you to everyone who contributes on here. Your tips and info has been a great source of help to me in reaching a decision!!

Looking forward to hearing more and to some happy Toyota reliable motoring!

There is a thread on this page "If anyone doubts the longevity of the Prius....". Check it out and your doubts about the Prius should be put to rest - it's a Toyota after all. Regarding the Prius in snow, you must get suitable tyres - winter or all seasons otherwise the low rolling resistance stock tyres are probably not the best. Also, the thread I suggest you view is about Canadian Prius taxis and Canada is renowned for snow!

Hope this helps.

Oh, I notice you asked about the Civic. My gf had the petrol one and got rid of it after 2 years and hated it. It had many good points but it broke down 4 times in 2 years and the dealers were p*** poor to say the least! She'd never, ever buy a Honda again! And I know this because she just told me so whilst we've just been filling in the Toyota new car survey for her new Toyota IQ.

2.2 diesel Honda is a lovely engine (swift, smooth and very quiet) but its economy can be very disappointing. I had it in the admittedly bigger Accord, but rarely saw more than 38-40mpg out of a tank.

Early days in my Prius (07 T Spirit) but no complaints so far. Bit worried about the snow though - the traction control is rather heavy handed and totally cuts power when exiting a slippery junction.

I have found my Gen 3 is excellent in the snow, so that post about the heavy handed traction control surprised me. :unsure:

In the big snow we had just before Christmas, my car went up hills other (FWD) cars totally failed to negotiate.

Going up a really slippery hill the car did slow to a stop at one stage. But I then found that I was able to creep gently forward on EV mode. (And, again, other cars were not making it up that slope at all - it was snow packed down hard and thus extremely slippery.)

I am wondering if there is a difference in the electronic driver aids between Gen 2 and Gen 3 that makes a difference to the handling in the snow? Or, I suppose, it could be the tyres... mine came new with the car, so they might have better tread for the snow.

RR1

I've got a Honda civic 2.2 type s diesel and must admit love the car but having had both a prius and a auris hybrid both on 4 day test drives I think they will provide better mpg. I can get 50 mpg out of my civic on a long run with little or no city driving at both ends, but that was driing very reserved, typically only get between 40 and 46

Doing similar journeys in the Toyota I got 52mpg but that's was really pushing the car so I suspect if I drove more reserved this would be closer to the 60mpg

They are different cars to drive but I think the Toyota will be better on my pocket in the long term, but will miss the torque of my civic and the acceleration

Hi all

Just joined the club as i`m expecting to pick up a 57 plate T4 next week.

Always been a Toyota regular and like everyone else trying to lower my motoring costs and this proposition came up.

Have a 60 mile round trip daily commute, covering dual carriageway, A & B roads, and do about 17k a year, so hopefully it will be up to the job? !

My only reservations are the `leap of faith` with the new technology and how the car will cope with some of the apalling weather we have been exposed to these last few winters.... anybody willing to share experience on these?

It was a very close call between this and a civic 2.2 diesel but I guess my Toyota loyalty won through (as long as the mpg exceeds that of the civic I will be satisfied!) Does anybody have experience of these two cars to (hopefully) put my mind at rest?

Finally, a big thank you to everyone who contributes on here. Your tips and info has been a great source of help to me in reaching a decision!!

Looking forward to hearing more and to some happy Toyota reliable motoring!

Bear in mind that the Prius is effectively an automatic, were you thinking of a civic auto??

Apparantly on the early gen2 Prius traction control was super super keen. It was eased off a little on later versions and totally redesigned for the gen3. Still a wee bit over keen in my book and there is no OFF switch which can be a pain.

From similar discussions on the US forum it appears that use of correct tyres solves the problem. The stock Bridgestones are good for mpg's in the dry but rubbish in the snow, whereas the stock Michelins are much better all round. Not easy finding low rolling resistance eco tyres that work in snow and ice - but they do exist with a little search.

• Like 1

I have a 58 plate gen II and I gotta say that in the Snow around Xmas, it performed flawlessly, I just drove round cars that were getting stuck on compacted snow, ok I was taking it very gently so the TC didn't kick in, but I didn't get stuck...ever! Still have the standard tyres on it, albeit replacement ones, same brand (40k miles) Once you get your head around the auto and how the TC cuts in, and adjust your driving style to suit, its great in the snow.

Not exactly new technology. The Prius has been around for 10 years and is now in its 3rd incarnation. The prius is also the most reliable toyota going based on repairs under warranty.

As to the winter weather....

I have a T3 gen3 prius so have got the 15 inch wheels and in the Jan 2010 snow, I was on the stock Bridgestone tyres. The prius performed well but did have the odd slide here and there, with the VSC working overtime and bleeping like mad. But no crashes thank goodness.

Come Nov 2010, I fitted Michelin Alpin A4 winter tyres and the prius performed even better on the snow and ice with the VSC having very little to do. So having the winter tyres gave just that bit more grip which made a huge difference. Also my winter mpg was much better on the Michelins.

There are also posters (over on Prius Chat) who drive thier prius in the french alps, Norway, USA, Canada and other wintery places with no problems. Just fit winter tyres and off you go.

There are some posters who complain about the traction control and not being able to turn it off, but it hasn't been a problem for me. I just switch to ECO mode and go easy on the pedal.

Did anybody manage to source winter tyres for their T4 or T Spirit? I heard there was a problem with the 17" wheels.

Did anybody manage to source winter tyres for their T4 or T Spirit? I heard there was a problem with the 17" wheels.

Continental do them but not available in the UK.

Thanks guys, some really useful info there...

continuing to get through all these pages! the more I read, the more i`m looking forward to the experience and contributing to help others.

There are some posters who complain about the traction control and not being able to turn it off, but it hasn't been a problem for me. I just switch to ECO mode and go easy on the pedal.

I agree. I admit it's a bit frustrating not being able to turn the TC off, but to be honest the car probably does better with it on than I would manually with it off. Also ECO mode and being gentle on the accelerator is just about perfect for the slippery stuff. I can't think of any other car that can do that, unless perhaps the low ratio option available on some 4WD vehicles is analagous? :huh:

EV mode is good too, coupled with ECO: it allows for gentler progress which is good for the snow. :thumbsup:

Much better than my old RWD Jaguar...! :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links