Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Using Eco/power Mode?

monya

About 5000 miles of burnt rubber now, the only time I've used eco mode was in the snow last year. Almost forgotten the other options exist.Anybody using them on a regular basis? Worth using? I've never even tried power mode so far. :huh:

About 5000 miles of burnt rubber now, the only time I've used eco mode was in the snow last year. Almost forgotten the other options exist.Anybody using them on a regular basis? Worth using? I've never even tried power mode so far. :huh:

Eco mode - no. I expect that I will use that when I take the beast over to the Isle of Wight, but not used it yet.

PWR - oh yes.... ideal for showing upstarts in Golf GTI's (sorry for swearing) that the Prius is not a milk float.... the look on their faces when you leave them standing is priceless!

Other than that, EV and normal modes seem to be the two that I use most of all - possibly 'cos I had a Gen2 for 2 n half years first....

:thumbsup:

I use Eco mode in heavy town traffic. It just holds the throttle back a little and stops the engine switching on, only to switch off again 2 seconds later keeping you in electric for longer. Allows for a more steady drive in traffic. Don't use it on a run as I find it too unresponsive.

Power is good for burning off the Chavs.

I use EV for putting the Auris in and out of the garage, and ECO around town in the winter to make sure the engine shuts down at traffic lights instead of keeping me warm!

I use Eco mode all the time except for a quick blast of PWR now and then when entering a motorway or intersection.

Like Fourfourtwo,I use ECO most of the time with intermittent PWR bursts for overtaking or joining motorways.

ECO in town for stop-go traffic, definitely more mpg under these conditions. PWR for overtaking, but in normal use it drops mpg significantly. EV for scaring old ladies in car parks :eek:, otherwise best avoided.

Don't forget that if you floor the throttle, you get full power, regardless of the mode.

35661.png

As most of my driving is to and from town in stop-start traffic, I use ECO most of the time.

Might be a daft question but what 'mode' are you in if you don't select any of the 'modes' ... ie just drive without PWR, ECO or EV illuminated ?

Jon

you are in Normal aka automatic mode

I drive mostly in Normal, Power if I have to overtake on a country lane and don't want to rely on the delay in auto mode deciding I need power...And ECO when I am in a traffic jam, ECO in stop/start is really the key to good economy unless you drive like gramps most of the time and don't touch the pedal anyway.

ECO is good in the snow and ice for throttle control.

ECO is also good in start-stop traffic in the cold or very hot.

ECO mode in the cold tells the Prius not to keep firing up the engine to warm itself (and you) up unless really really necessary. ECO mode in the very hot makes the aircon run in ECO mode too so there is not so much drain on the HV Battery.

PWR mode is for fun. :driving:

I use power mode when I'm tackling the hills around the Peak District. It works really well on steep climbs. For Thr rest of the time I'm in Normal. I do, like other members, tend to use Eco when I'm in slow traffic. It seems to have a good effect on mpg without the slower responsiveness becoming an annoyance.

I drove around Cornwall at half term with 4 adults, a child and a boot full of luggage. The Prius coped really well with the twisty lanes and steep hills, with the odd burst of power mode thrown in.

I'm using Eco mode mode constantly and, with a lot of town work, am getting between 59 and 62 mpg in these cold conditions.

I use Eco mode all the time except for a quick blast of PWR now and then when entering a motorway or intersection.

Me too.

I find using ECO mode makes it easier to keep the throttle under the mid point in the hybrid power indicator, that way not bringing in the ICE. It also makes it easier to P&G (Pulse and Glide). So it's good for economy and I have adjusted my driving style accordingly to allow for the lower acceleration.

There is another trick I have discovered...

For economical acceleration from rest when there is no following traffic, I press EV. That means that I can press the accelerator pedal all the way up to the end of the Hybrid portion of the indicator (i.e. just before the PWR band) and the ICE will not cut in. Once I reach 20 mph (or 30 mph if the engine is warm) that no longer holds true, but at that point I can either back off the throttle to remain in electric mode or else keep pressing on so that the ICE comes in. Better acceleration at the expense of poorer economy.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links