Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Noise / Chatter - Is Really Your Gearbox?!

imanewbie

Hi All, I have a 07 2.0d TR 4d4. 60k

I recently purchased it used from Toyota.

I had a few issues with a noise (sort of spinning grinding shudder) when pulling away, and re-pressing the clutch. It was also apparent sometimes when just revving. (as the revs fell back from 1.2k to 750revs).

Took it into one Toyota dealer, inspected it and it it was "gearbox chatter" heard it loads, lot of people suffer with it, especially on the speed box. I wasn't really happy with that so went for a second opinion, who also said, Its the gear box. and confirmed the original suggestion. Still not happy, went to another dealer who said, that sounds like the gear box. Took it in, stripped it, replaced 2nd gear, (as it was worn) and gave me the car back.

(at this point, i had a really still box and struggled with 2nd gear, - a replacement thinner oil, cured this problem)

BUT...........

a few days later, the noise was back!! after returning back to the garage, I was told, mmmm... it still sounds like the box, but after checking the box, clutch, release bearings, and every component, they will drawing a blank... until by pure fluke, the hose going from the vacuum pump to the turbo got pulled off, Noise stopped!! Its going back in now to have it investigated....

I will let you know the outcome of this, but as this noise is a common problem! (apparently) and you may also be suffering this (chattering) go back and check to see if it is really the gearbox!! 4 Toyota mechanics said it was, 1 proactive mechanic found it wasn't!

Could be turbo chatter...? I have the same issue and one mechanic at Toyota confirmed he could hear it, then the assessor from Toyota came and said there was no such noise... I plan on going back before my warranty expires as it has been getting louder and louder so there is no denying it now.

• 4 weeks later...

Any further on this guys?

Not sure if it's the same noise but I get an odd noise on two occassions; [1] after starting the car after a period of rest and pulling away in 1st, there's a pinging / clunk from the front end. [2] very recently discovered, under braking (not massively heavy but more than a normal stop) there is ABS shudder at a point where you wouldn't expect, then on pulling away again, this pinging / clunk / vibration noise from the front end.

Is this the same as your strange noise? It sounds like something being thrown out of place and then moving back again when commencing driving, a little concerning.

Cheers.

Unsure, My engine now jumps around in the mounts when I kill it, as if the clutch is engaging and disengaging on its own?! And the clutch is stupidly noisy. Toyota denied they could hear a rattle from the clutch when I took it in when I first bought it, lets see them deny it now! :thumbsup:

If it is making the noise when the car is stationary and in neutral try pressing the clutch, if the noise goes away it is likely to be the gearbox, it not it is likely not the gearbox.

Pressing the clutch disengages the engine from the gearbox so the gearbox internals stop rotating and any noises it is making should go away.

Thats the exact noise, and Toyota denied they could hear it, unmissable now. Don't want to jack this thread so I wont go into any more detail :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links