Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Tyres

Wolfie Williams

Hi

I'm new to the forum, so sorry for posting a question that's probably been discussed to death in the past.

I have a T180, but didn't appreciate the issues with the run flats when I bought it.

As I will soon have to buy 4 new tyres, I need to decide do I get 4 new run flats (£800...or more if they say I need any support rings) or 4 new alloy wheels plus tyres (£900 ish).

I know I would probably need to carry one of the RFT's as a spare, but what are the other pros and cons of doing this?

Also, will this mean that the tyre pressure warning light will remain on, how will this effect the MOT, etc?

I love the car, and as I said sorry for going over old ground, but i'm a bit confused.....

the tyres are not runflats....the band inside makes them run flats so you could get the bands removed and put new tyres on job done and no longer runflats..

After buying my T180 a year ago and doing some research in what to do regarding tyres, heres the oiptions I have come up with.

MOD maybe we can make this a sticky as its now a daily occurance that somone is asking about what to do with RLTs and we have to keep repeating the same info. (not that we mind) but it would be easier all round???

1. Keep the car the way it is and have Toyota change the tyres for you. However this can be expensive due to support rings maybe getting damaged and valve sensors being damaged. Rings are £100 approx and a new sensor is £150 approx, per wheel

2. Cut tyres off and cut support bands off (or get Toyota to remove support bands) Keep valve sensors in place and replace tyres with your choice and brand. This way the TPMS system will continue to work and you can go to any high street tyre fitter to have a new tyre fitted or repaired in the future. Carry a spare wheel in the boot but NOT tyre gunk as this will damage the valve sensors

3. Do exactly as above only remove the valve sensors and replace with normal valves (£10 each). However this will activate the tpms light on the dash. Take off the instrument pod and snip the pink wire (theres a thread on here with instructions and photos) Now you have a car like any other. pop a spare in the boot OR a can of tyre gunk. the light on the dash remains off at all times, the car will pass its MOT and everyone is happy. Only thing is that you MAY want to tell your insurance company. However as discussed in the past, I dont think you have to worry about this.

I would love to get the support rings taken off mine and fit different tyres but still have the tpms working and if there is anyone out there that can supply a competent garage that I and others can get this done then that would be great as I am unable to find anywhere that can. Also it would be great if anyone could tell me what a good altrenative tyre is for a T180.

go to your local toyota dealer and ask which toyota garage close to you has the equipment to remove the bands. Like I said earlier all the local tyre places to me offered to cut the support bands off for me when i told them what to do and showed them to photos of it being done. Anyone with a grinder can do it. Failing that do it yourself, then ring a mobile tyre fitter and ask for new tyres to be fitted

im pretty sure the Toyota dealer in Queensferry where our parts dude is based has the equipment. thats not too far from you is it???

Hi

I'm new to the forum, so sorry for posting a question that's probably been discussed to death in the past.

I have a T180, but didn't appreciate the issues with the run flats when I bought it.

As I will soon have to buy 4 new tyres, I need to decide do I get 4 new run flats (£800...or more if they say I need any support rings) or 4 new alloy wheels plus tyres (£900 ish).

I know I would probably need to carry one of the RFT's as a spare, but what are the other pros and cons of doing this?

Also, will this mean that the tyre pressure warning light will remain on, how will this effect the MOT, etc?

I love the car, and as I said sorry for going over old ground, but i'm a bit confused.....

Hi Wolfie, and welcome t'club. also read PINNED section at start of page "Changing Runflat Tyres".

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links