Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changed Intake And Wont Start.

Gig-189

Hi I changed the airbox with a maf adapter i bought off eBay. It is 3" in diameter so a fraction bigger than the stock maf adapter. So I left the oem rubber intake and attached it to this new adapter and to the cone filter. Now my engine being a 1.4vvti it starts but turns off instantly. What is causing me this prob? Should i make a reducer in front of the adapter to limit air??

Thanks

You haven't damaged the maf sensor or wiring?

What size is the standard intake pipe on the 1.4?

For sure i didnt damage anything because I immediatly fixed back the original air box and started fine. I dont know the exact diametre of the maf pipe but its a fraction less then 3" because it wasnt easy to fix the oem rubber intake to the 3" adapter but with some heating to the rubber pipe it went in.

did you secure all the stuff attached to the airbox properly and level when you fitted the filter? how big is the filter?

The filter is like universal but it not restrictive at all. What do you mean by level? As I positioned the maf sensor sideways like in a nearly horizontal position. Could it be it???

you need to keep the intake size the same as OEM throughout, you can only go bigger if you have a tuned ecu/standalone ecu.

The 3" adaptor is your problem, hence why it just turns off because the maf is reading wrong.

I swear some people have changed it on here to the matrix intake pipe, isn't that bigger?

Just looked and actually it's 2.75"

perhaps put some rubber tubing inside to reduce the size?

Thanks for your replies. Well it has been sorted out by inserting a perfect fit 70mm rubber hose before the maf sensor and started up great with no lights whatsoever.

Adapter

Thank you all

Not sure I follow, did you put the hose on the connection between the MAF housing and the air filter? or between the throttle body and the MAF?

lol at what the seller wrote:

NOTICE!!

NON PAYING BIDDERS WILL BE CAPTURED, HOG TIED, AND FORCED TO WATCH 100 HOURS OF BOB THE BUILDER VIDEOS...

ANY SURVIVORS WILL THEN BE SUBJECTED TO BARNEY AND BARBIE PRINCESS BRIDE VIDEOS!!

NO FURTHER PUNISHMENT WILL BE NECESSARY AS NOBODY HAS EVER SURVIVED THIS TO DATE!!!

SERIOUSLY FOLKS, IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO FOLLOW THROUGH ON THE SALE.

DON'T BUY OR BID!

Not sure I follow, did you put the hose on the connection between the MAF housing and the air filter? or between the throttle body and the MAF?

Yes I inserted the hose in front of the maf sensor. i.e between the filter and the maf housing. Dont know if I can explain my self but half of the hose is in the adapter and the other half is in the filter. will upload pics as possible.

will upload pics as possible.

Thanks man that'd be wicked as I bought the same one :)

Pics as promised.

Photo0133.jpg

Pvc pipe exact fit to adapter.

Photo0132.jpg

Photo0134.jpg

Photo0136.jpg

Photo0135.jpg

Photo0131.jpg

Final result. :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Gig,

sorry to dig up an old thread again but I am having loads of trouble sourcing some hose that fits inside the dam maf pipe.

it all seems to be too thick!

could you possibly point me in the direction that I might find some?

Hi Gig,

sorry to dig up an old thread again but I am having loads of trouble sourcing some hose that fits inside the dam maf pipe.

it all seems to be too thick!

could you possibly point me in the direction that I might find some?

Hey, I used a drain pvc pipe from an ironmongery 69mm ish and covered it in duct tape to get to insert at an exact fix. Dont know if you can source something out from a ironmongery or hobby shop. I used nothing concerned about cars or similar because I couldnt find any. If you still cant find any I check if I can post you a piece.

the maf 3"/76mm ? try cutting a taper with a sharpe knife on the edge? Or try b and q or something lol even if the pipes a bit small just wrap it in tape till it fits snug :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links