Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Took 5 Turns To Start This Morning

ash4197

Hi

This morning I started the LC up and it usually takes one turn before it starts, but this mornig it took about five turns to start.

Does anyone know why or has this happened to anyone andwhats the cure

First guess, check the air filter, if it's not getting enough air it can't fire up. The air filter should be white and see through when held to a light.

Second guess, how old are the spark plugs? and such parts?

r u sure it had enough fuel in it....... not running on reserve r u :P :thumbsup:

It wont have spark plugs as it's a diesel.

Check the glow plugs maybe one has broken down,or it could be the fuse.

Rash

It's got a full Tank of fuel in it :P . It has never ran on less than a 1/4 tank.

Last service was @ 70 K by the Dealers and now is showing 75 K.

Common problems for difficult starting:

Damp (air filter, electrics, etc...)

Cold

Heat (ironic isn't it :D )

Worn distribution system (not applicable in your case :lol: )

Water in the fuel

Blocked fuel filter

Worn Battery

Worn starter motor

Cracked fuel line

frankly a host of other things...

I will start it up in the morning and see if it does it again. As I said this was the first time it happened.

Will post tomorrow to see if it was a one off of if it does it in the morning.

Cheers for the info guys.

i get this regularly but only when its cold - have had it up to 10/15 times before; it thought it might be the glow plugs??

Yeah I have the same problem, my hiace has the 3.0 turbo diesel and I am not sure the glow plugs are glowing as it were. I have to investigate.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1998 colorado 3.0td and recently had problems starting too. It used to start first time every time even in the winter. Then it took 2 turns to start on average until one day after washing the car with the stereo on it took about 6 turns which became slower and slower before eventually starting.

Due to its age I decided it was probably time for new batteries (damn it has two!) so rang around for quotes. Halfords quoted £72 (inc vat) each but surprisingly my Toyota dealer quoted £50 +vat each so duly paid the money.

I have to say it has been fantastic ever since and the engine turns over really fast once again and never fails to start first time.

Best of all the missus reckons it even goes faster!! She did make me laugh.

I suppose the moral of the story is that even Toyota batteries have a lifespan and if you have an automatic it really isn't worth taking the risk of breaking down as you can't bump start them.

Thanks guys

Don't know what it was as for the past two few weeks it has had no problem it is starting first time after I sprayed WD40 on the Battery connections and generally over the engine where the leads lood like they have dirt on them.

Thanks

Ash

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links