Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Problem

Michelin

Anyone got any idea what this could be. All of a sudden my T180 seems to of lost its low down power . What I mean is the power it has before the turbo kicks in between say 1000 rpm to 1500 rpm it used to trundle along happily under 15000 rpm and when you put your foot down on the accealarator it would pick up and then when it hit the turbo around 1700 rpm it would start to fly as normal, but now it struggles below 1500 rpm.If you put your foot down it pulls as normal and the fuel consumption is the same as its always been and theres no smoke coming from it. I cleaned the egr valve out 5000 miles ago and to be honest it was clean anyway. So basically the car is running perfect except on low revs its a bit hesitant until the turbo kicks in.Anyone got any ideas.

I guess its trundled along at 1500 rather than 15000 - I can just imagine aT180 smoking along with the pistons flying everywhere at 15,000 rpm - sorry..... maybe have a look for air leaks ??? Or the fuel filter ?

Take in to Toyota, they will fit all the modified engine parts FOC.

Anchorman,

was there a reference for the TSB that covered all the modified engine parts?

still having the sluggish problem with mine, so thinking its time to try and get mine done

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would add to this thread. I have now got the same problem on my SR180 as the first poster here. Only been like it since last service. Took it back to the dealer who says there's nothing wrong but agreed to connect an 'analyser' next week.

I would contend that it is getting dangerous because you pull out on a roundabout expecting to accelerate away and nothing happens for a few seconds followed by manic acceleration.

Is there a TSB that applies equally to the SR180 for this problem?

I would contend that it is getting dangerous because you pull out on a roundabout expecting to accelerate away and nothing happens for a few seconds followed by manic acceleration.

Exactly the problem my T180 suffers from, although i find it sometimes disappears once the rav is fully warmed up.

Will be interested to know how you get on.

Airbusfan, the TSB is posted in my thread here

I just got my car back after 3 days at the dealers, and have been told it needs a new engine. However, they are having problems getting one from Japan. I didn't experience any noticable loss of power (this time!!) just the warning lights on the dash, and a bit of oil usage.

Anyone got any idea what this could be. All of a sudden my T180 seems to of lost its low down power . What I mean is the power it has before the turbo kicks in between say 1000 rpm to 1500 rpm it used to trundle along happily under 15000 rpm and when you put your foot down on the accealarator it would pick up and then when it hit the turbo around 1700 rpm it would start to fly as normal, but now it struggles below 1500 rpm.If you put your foot down it pulls as normal and the fuel consumption is the same as its always been and theres no smoke coming from it. I cleaned the egr valve out 5000 miles ago and to be honest it was clean anyway. So basically the car is running perfect except on low revs its a bit hesitant until the turbo kicks in.Anyone got any ideas.

hello Michelin

1. Check with feeding voltage to both SCV at idle and when revved up;

2. Check with condition of fine fuel filter + try to bleed the system from an air.

The smoke might indicate a possible SCV playing or even fuel filter.

Check and revert

Cheers/Igor

you no longer fit modified parts people we now fit a complete engine....

check the fuel sender.....we are having a lot of cars coming in with jelly like stuff blocking the pick up...which gives the same faults as described

you no longer fit modified parts people we now fit a complete engine....

check the fuel sender.....we are having a lot of cars coming in with jelly like stuff blocking the pick up...which gives the same faults as described

Is this a short engine with new pistons ect? Or a completely new full engine now mate? :thumbsup:

I think it will be a reconditioned engine. My delaer said it would come from Japan, and mine would get shipped back to Japan for them to recondition, and send back to Uk to replace someone else's, I guess.

BTW ormi, does it really require 3 days of testing to determine if the engine needs replacing? My delaer showed me a wad of paper about 1cm thick and said these are all the test we have to do.

I think they are short of reworkable blocks and your engine will be brand new.

I think they are short of reworkable blocks and your engine will be brand new.

If that is the case Anchs, do you think it is likely to be the original engine, albeit with the modifications, or the latest version?

Engines are being removed, and a completely re-worked engine from the Toyota engine plant that makes that engine is being supplied. The engine is known as a 3/4 partial engine assembly, completely re-worked by the factory, you don't get your old engine re-worked and put back in your car, somebody else will get it once it has been re-worked by the factory. This is the mandatory repair method from 1st July on

Kingo :thumbsup:

Engines are being removed, and a completely re-worked engine from the Toyota engine plant that makes that engine is being supplied. The engine is known as a 3/4 partial engine assembly, completely re-worked by the factory, you don't get your old engine re-worked and put back in your car, somebody else will get it once it has been re-worked by the factory. This is the mandatory repair method from 1st July on

What's the warranty on the replacement Kingo?

Good question Davrav, one to which I don't have an answer for yet, in the absence of any information to the contrary I would imagine it like any other major part, 12 months

I will ask the question

Good question Davrav, one to which I don't have an answer for yet, in the absence of any information to the contrary I would imagine it like any other major part, 12 months

I will ask the question

I was given 2 years, BTW I'm in MALTA and don't know if it makes a difference for UK. ;)

Some good feedback on this thread.

To those more in the know:-

What is defining that there "is" a problem?

I have seen in other threads mention of high oil useage being a factor, now mine doesnt appear to be an oil guzzler but i can suffer from the same situations as Airbusfan (its always when you least expect it andpulling out onto busy 50mph roads are fun).

The reason i ask is because last time i had a problem with a rav (4.2 that just cut out on slowing to a halt), i had it in my local dealer for diagnostics and despite it occuring about 7 times on the way there, they said there was nothing wrong with it and so ended up leaving with a car still playing up and about £80 lighter to cover the cost of the diagnostic.

You can probably guess i dont want to do the same again :thumbsup:

1, Oil consumption worse than 0.5 litre per 621 miles (1,000km)

2, Overheating and head gasket failure due to carbon deposits on the pistons

This is well documented at your dealer and you should have no issues with it. The engine replacement is ONLY for the above conditions or where there is a direct link to "carbon clogging"

If that is the case Anchs, do you think it is likely to be the original engine, albeit with the modifications, or the latest version?

The engine rework TSB calls for the block to be scrapped if there is any signs of pitting during the inspection procedure. In that case I'm not sure if the new block is compatible but if it is then it would pick up the benefit of having the crank case breather holes that eliminate oil consumption through improved breathing.

I will try and seperate some pages of the rather large pdf's later!!!

As Kingo says, wherever engines can be recovered I'm sure they are.

My T180 was using oil and it just had new piston rings. Touch wood it aint been a problem since

• 4 months later...

Hi Anchorman and Parts-King - it's really great that you guys are here to cast some light on the mystery ex-warranty repairs on T180s. Do you know if the turbo is part of this replacement job at all? My engine was changed in December and again in August under 'extended warranty', and now my turbo is failing it seems. (it's a Verso T180 but there's not a lot of action in the Verso forum ;) )

Hi Anchorman and Parts-King - it's really great that you guys are here to cast some light on the mystery ex-warranty repairs on T180s. Do you know if the turbo is part of this replacement job at all? My engine was changed in December and again in August under 'extended warranty', and now my turbo is failing it seems. (it's a Verso T180 but there's not a lot of action in the Verso forum ;) )

The turbo is an ancillary part that is unaffected by the usual engine woes.. When My engine was changed the EGR valve the water pump the Catalytic converter and injectors were all done as all of these parts are or could be affected..

I have never heard of a turbo unit being replaced under the above situation or any other on the 4.3 2AD Engine.....

Wee Charlie.

The turbo is an ancillary part that is unaffected by the usual engine woes.. When My engine was changed the EGR valve the water pump the Catalytic converter and injectors were all done as all of these parts are or could be affected..

I have never heard of a turbo unit being replaced under the above situation or any other on the 4.3 2AD Engine.....

Wee Charlie.

Hmmmmmm strange not changing the turbo as all those oilly sooty particles would go through the turbo 1st before the DPF, maybe they just cleaned the vanes?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links