Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 1.4 T2 - 70Mpg - Is That Correct?

PrashantB

Purchased a pre-owned toyota corolla last year. Ever since I have started putting in Shell fuelsave, the mpg display has kept on climbing. As of now, it's showing me 71mpg!!

Not sure, whether there is something wrong with the car, but seems to be going OK... have tried cross checking the mileage, but am not sure whether to trust the odometer in the same system.

Does anyone know if this kind of mpg figures from corolla are possible?

I do have a light right foot, and am a careful driver. take care of the tire pressures etc and most of my driving is on M-ways...

You can't rely on the MPG readout to be accurate. Only way to get true figure is to fill to brim, drive, and then fill to brim taking note of how much fuel you've just put in.

If your travel is mostly motorway driving, that is a very achievable figure with the 1.4 D4D!

If it's the 1.4 VVTi I suspect it's fibbing tho'. :lol:

• Like 1

Not sure, whether there is something wrong with the car, but seems to be going OK... have tried cross checking the mileage, but am not sure whether to trust the odometer in the same system.

Hey,

Most comments I have seen about the mpg display is that its often Lower than the actual mpg you get when measured as Clangnuts mentions.

Mines about 3-4 mpg less than what I get.

Also wonder if you are looking at the MPG reading instead of the the MPG AVE; that display button has 3 readings.

To check your speedo / odo the simplest way is to find a local Measured Mile where the council have marked the start and end points.

Drive along at 60 miles per hour and get someone to clock your time which should be 1 minute exactly, and your odo / trip should also agree.

You could do something similar with the motorway peg markers but now sure how accurate they are.

You can also check you speed with the sat navs / radar detector units.

I have had 2 Toyotas and both speedos were about 3-4 mph fast at 60 mph.

What petrol were you using before the Shell and what mpg was that giving ?

Thanks for the advice, people!

Did check the mile markers, and odo seems to be fine.

Clagnuts - will definitely try the brim to brim method, next time I fill 'er up!

Oldcodger - Thanks for all the tips. I am sure it's the mpg average, not mpg... they are easy enough to spot, as mpg display keeps changing while braking/accelerating...

As for the fuel - before Shell, it used to be sometimes BP, sometimes Tesco (yeah, i know.... :ermm: ) at that time, the average was about 52mpg. But then, most of the driving was within city..... :(

If your travel is mostly motorway driving, that is a very achievable figure with the 1.4 D4D!

It is a 1.4 VVTi - 4ZZ-FE iirc....

Oh... :unsure: Then I guess further research will be required! :thumbsup:

The most accurate way is still by keeping a record of miles done and fuel used...

It is a 1.4 VVTi - 4ZZ-FE iirc....

I own a 1.4 VVTI 4zz-fe corolla and no way are you getting 71mpg out of it. The trip computer can lie sometimes as mine can give me extremely low readings when freshly reset sometimes. The only way I could think of you getting 71mpg out of your car is If your commute or travels solely consisted of a 40 - 50mph road that had no stops on it and was slightly downhill on gradient.

Even on the motorway because of the lack of torque of the 4zz-fe engine at 70mph and the fact that the engine is revving around 3 - 4k it will only do about 40 - 45mpg at most.

Trust me ive had experience with this car and the trip computer is lieing very badly :P

Just out of interest do you have any mods on the car, and what is your daily driving like?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links