Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sluggisgh Starting!

toerant1

There are so few of us owning Carina !!'s out there to ask- but is sluggish firing an usual thing with 11's or can I improve things? I have had a service and renewed ditributor cap and rotor arm. After starting there is lots of fumes and smoke from rear and a risk of stall.

Does this car have the old type points in the distrbuter if so trying changing them along with a new condensor

It would depend on how old your car is and what color the smoke is?

Need more specifics, because the color of the smoke helps to indicate the problem. White is usually from water and would indicate a head gasket issue. Blue smoke is usually oil and could be coming in through the valves or even head gasket as well. Black is usually from a poor timed car or carbon build-up in the combustion chamber.

Thanks for the replies. It is a 1990 Carina 11 GL auto.

I dont know whether the points are the old or new version?

I think the smoke is whitish/grey and noxious.When starting the car the engine note is not continuous for awhile and stall is feared but does not usually occur.

The car has just had work done- timing belt, drive belt and replacement oil cooler pipes.

When I went to the car the other day there was an oil slick in front of it. I placed it on level ground and the following day dipped the oil but it was ok. There was no oil slick underneath - so is it leaking oil or not?? I will keep dipping.

When warmed up its just like a 'baby sleeping', great!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links