Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Check Your Nuts!

dangermooser

Well driving on the motorway this morning 10 minutes into my journey all hell pretty much broke out with a majorly bad noise and vibration coming from the front offside wheel area, pulled over absolutely no signs of any problems, decided to trundle back home and assess the problem. My thoughts were driveshaft/ cv or wheel bearing, so got it up on the trolley jack and there it was a loose wheel :angry:

I had done some work recently put everything back on but had forgot to check my nuts were still tight after a few days or so and they have gradually loosened off since. So I thought a timely reminder might be good :thumbsup:

Point well made!

Many years ago I had a Corolla (my first Toyota) and after a service we went straight to Mum's in London... When we came out of her house to come back hime there was a puddle of oil under the car, the drain plug was loose.... The dealer sent a truck to collect the car, they re-drained the oil, refilled and gave me the cost of the service back.

Needless to say I was happy with that and we had a good relationship with that dealer untill they closed in 2003. The relationship with Mr T continues.

I check my nuts for lumps on a regular basis...........wrong nuts!

Lets hope it hasn't caused any wheel bearing issues from the wobble as it did on an old car of mine after trusting a friend to have done them up

Keep an eye on them though incase they try it again due to knackered threads

Getting it checked tomorrow at work, luckily I don't do much travelling in it but better to be safe. Checked all the threads and they seem ok but will be checking each week, I have new wheels to go on in the next few weeks (maybe a month away) so will be replacing everything then

That's pretty sucky! We had that happen once... scared the bejasus out of us! :lol:

KP

And while we're checking things, check your oil too! Esp. those of you with chain-cams! :D

Had simular happen a while back on the 206, i thought the noise was just a bearing on the way out (my car went through like 5bearings in 3years) due to this, and that bearings dying typically last weeks-months, i just left it and continued the 100mile round trip each day to take gf to work. It got extremely loud, checked it, all the wheel bolts are wobbling, was able to undo them with my fingers. Tightened up and noise magically went away. Rediculous how long i left it and how many times i potentially could have lost that wheel at speeds of 70+/-

Hey,

Have to ask the obvious, but you are doing your nuts up properly :rolleyes:

That is progressively tighten them by hand and in a diagonal type of sequence finishing off with a final turn with the torque wrench to approx 70 ft/lbs or as your model needs.

Yes I always tighten my nuts in the correct fashion ;) but a very good point

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links