Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Possible Squeaky Rear Brakes?

Daveyonthemove

Recently with the hot summer days, I have been driving at low speeds with the windows open instead of the aircon running, and have noticed that when the car has done a fairly long journey when i'm sat in stop-start traffic, as i move off slowly there is a very loud and annoying squeal or squeak.

It doesn't happen when i'm slowing down, but only when i have been sat in traffic for a while. I'm pretty sure it happens if i have been sat with the brakes on for a short while, so this leads me to think that they may be binding when they are hot.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so was it covered under warranty or recall? My car hasn't quite covered 30,000 miles yet, but did reach 3 years old in March, so I'm not sure if the warranty would cover it, but toyota are quite good at honouring known faults.

yes i had this problem just as you describe, and yes its covered under warranty.

but i had to contact customer services for my local main dealer to take it seriously, because they said they couldnt hear any noise, a told them under what conditions the noise was there, just as you say, but i left the car with them and they couldnt be bothered to test it as i said, and just took it round the block.

so i complained to customer services who got onto the dealer for me, and they phoned me to bring the car in again to fit some modified brake shims, as instructed by customer relations. this didnt work so i got onto customer relations again, who contacted the dealer again, car back in again, and they fitted new pads front and back under warranty (even though noise was only from the back )havnt heard any squeak since done about 3 months ago. hope this helps you

Yep, this is the solution, replacing all pads, but the result will be positive if you're lucky to find ones with low quartz (chopped glass) content.

• 2 weeks later...

Im getting a horrible noise the same but mine is coming from the front. It is really bad feel like a tit driving around with squeeking brakes. I had a nissan with big race brakes that did not even make this much noise. So it is standard on a Auris TR 2.0D.

I have also noticed this in my Yaris on my front brakes!

Went on a long joy-ride last weekend and as I was starting to make the journey home, could hear a regular and quite loud squeek!---squeek!---squeek! that got faster as I went faster.

Got out to have a look (Worried a stone had gotten caught or something) but couldn't find anything wrong. Was doing it all the way home, but went away over night so I guess it's heat related...

poss warped disc does it shake when braking at speed, if not if the brakes are gettin old can be a sign thata they need changing due to build up of brake dust and uneven wear.

My car is 3 yrs and 5 months old. The age of them should be fine. The mileage is 27k and they are visually good and not in need of changing.

Very unlikely they are warped due to my driving style (can't remember a time where i have had to brake heavily) and there is no indication of shaking or vibration.

I'm pretty sure it is the rear brakes that are causing this noise, and I will try to find time to get it booked in and looked at, but I have a busy month ahead of me with 3 birthdays and my wedding all in the next 2 weeks.

• 1 month later...

Only just got around to speaking to Toyota about this problem.

They have no info about a brake problem on the Auris, and have suggested a free inspection to see if the pads or discs need replacing.

I'm 100% they don't need replacing due to wear, so i'm not prepared to pay for a replacement set if they need changing due to any other issue.

It's due a service so I will get the brakes looked at when it is in the garage.

• 2 weeks later...

My squealing starts normally after a ten mile motorway journey to work in the morning, as soon as I pull of the motorway it starts. The noise goes away when I brake and also when going round bends etc. I have had all the wheels of and the brake pads look fine. When turning the back wheels while jacked up they both seem to have a flat spot but nothing major. Does anyone have this problem?

Had mine checked today. No sign of binding, but there is only aprox 5000 miles left on them!

Considering they are original pads with only 30k on them, and the front ones have not worn anywhere near as much, I'm not impressed by this.

ive just replaced all 4 discs and pads to dimpled and grooved, and i noticed that my back pads had worn much more that the fronts, only done 22000 in mine and all 4 discs was warped.

its also stopped the build up of dust on the back wheels which is a bonus

I don't understand how the rears wear faster than the fronts?

Surely the Bias is set to a higher percentage of brake force at the front, so the rears should last twice as long.

Every other car I have owned has had a much longer brake wear, and the rears have never needed changing on any of my cars despite doing double the mileage of the Auris.

Davyonthemove you are right it should be 60/40 braking or it use to be, sounds like your brakes could be sticking funny thing is i had this problem about 6 months ago with the wifes car.

I will try and dig out the last service report and see what the condition of the brakes were.

If they have gone down substantially during the last 10-12K then I will be contacting TUK to see about some sort of warranty work or good will gesture.

I will try and dig out the last service report and see what the condition of the brakes were.

If they have gone down substantially during the last 10-12K then I will be contacting TUK to see about some sort of warranty work or good will gesture.

when i took my Auris in for a pre winter check they told me that the pins that the rear caliper hinges on was causing the caliper to bind,and pads to drag on disc, so they removed the caliper and lubricated the pins to cure the problem.this is not covered by warranty,though if the car is less than eighteen months old ive read somewhere they are covered.my car has done 24500 miles.

i was advised that i am too gentle on the brakes,they suggested i should now and again do a bit of hard braking to stop the fault happening again.

my front discs show very little wear but the rears have a lip,more than my old Passat had after 15 years use.

and that car had asbestos free pads.

Yup I have the same problem with intermittent squeals coming from the rear brakes. Must get it looked at, but as I said it's intermittent, car only has 18k on it, but did it just before it's first service too...

Mine continue to squeal and I'm not pleased about a 30K wear limit on the rear, when the fronts are perfectly fine.

There is obviously an issue somewhere, so when I get the spare money I'll be getting the parts myself and stripping the brakes down with the help of a mechanic.

I'm not prepared to pay Toyota an hourly rate to fix a problem that seems common on these cars and should have been sorted with a recall.

Best of Luck Dave, with the car and the wedding! :thumbsup:

Best of Luck Dave, with the car and the wedding! :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, although I got married 2 months ago today :lol:

• 1 month later...

Gents

Had exactly the same problem - squeaky brakes front and back. There is TSb about it - basically problem is with rust forming on discs, calipers, etc.

I resolved the problem by doing the fallowing:

1. Get a 2 big cans of wd40 from costco (cheap)

2. Get 4 big cans (500ml) of wurth brake cleaner

3. Thoroughly spray all 4 brakes discs, calipers, pads, the whole lot WITH WD40

4. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL - BRAKING IS AT THIS POINT SIGNIFCANTLY REDUCED. SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED

5. Drive around and brake every now and then (AGAIN - CAREFUL , BRAKING IS REDUCED SIGNIFICANTLY)

6. Once back use Wurth brake cleaner (which is alcochol based and spray thoroughly on the discs and between the pads and discs. Do not spray anywhere else. I used one 500ml can per wheel

7. Drive around carefully again - brake heavily at least 10 times, making sure ABS is kicking in - braking should be back to normal. If not spray again with Wurth brake cleaner.

8. Guaranteed that brakes will not squeal after this process.

AGAIN - BE CAREFUL

You will need new discs and pads to cure your problem when your fitting the new pads use copper grease on the slides and put some on the back of your pads

Davy, I've had brake problems too, at 30,000 mile service all my discs were at mimimum thickness (pads were original and still had plenty of life, around 8mm, belive me the brakes had not had a hard life) and all four brakes were binding to some degree, dealer wouldn't do anything about it under warranty, ended up freeing off the brakes myself, and replaced all discs and pads myself (dealer wanted £600 to do the job) before MOT. This is the first car I've owned that I've had to spend money and time on to get through it's first MOT test. One of the reasons I bought a Toyota was reputation for reliability and customer service as I have very little time or inclination to mess around like this! .... disapointed!

• 3 months later...

Dear all,

I have taken delivery of a new Auris 1.33 a couple of months ago and am relatively happy with it apart from one thing.

I am getting a seemingly metallic grinding noise from the rear wheels when I lifted the car and turned the wheels by hand. It can be heard very clearly that there is friction between the pads and the rear disk brakes on both left and right sides without the brakes applied.

I was just wondering whether the squeaky rear brakes noise is similar to the one I have on my Auris. It appears that this noise as per link attached is present notwithstanding the brakes are not being applied.

http://dl.dropbox.co...eel%20Noise.avi

This sound is mostly heard sub 20mph in narrow roads (with a sufficiently close reflective wall) and with the windows down. My impression is that since the handbrake uses the same brake pads as the friction material, it does sit so close to the disc and the auto adjustment is not creating enough space between the pads and the disc.

Any idea whether this is a known situation with Auris rear brakes? Believe me it is so annoying.

Best Regards

Baldwin

Never noticed any noise from the rear brakes of my 5yr old AURIS. Suggest you takes the wheels off and clean the brakes and pads, but if you have just bought the car then take it back and complain.

If it is really noticeable then ask to see the Service Manager or the Sales man/person who sold the car, and complain and get the garage to do it.

You will hear some slight noise when you spin the wheel with the car on a jack. It is not unusual. As brakes are now asbestos free the pads and discs have changed and they - pads and discs do not last as long and are effectively just a (self?) service item. They may need some slight adjustment.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links