Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Few Questions From A New Owner

ecfc

Evening fellow Aygoers

We bought our new Aygo GO MMT last week - our first car on our 10th wedding anniversary. Did a big Tesco shop today in under an hour. It used to take 30 mins to walk there, and longer to get home, dragging shopping bags back through a cemetery. To say the least, we're loving our new-found freedom.

A few quick questions please.

1) NO SIGN OF A LEAK, BUT...

We have no wet interior issues yet, but were a bit surprised to see quite a lot of water sitting on the metal sill of the front doors (the part that would be covered by scuff plates if we'd bought them). Is this a cause for concern worthy of a word with the dealer? And, if not, is it worth wiping these dry when possible so the water doesn't find its way somewhere more troublesome?

2) HEADLIGHT ADJUSTMENT

I thought there'd be a few threads about this, but couldn't see any. What's the correct setting for the headlight adjustment under the dash, please? If it makes any odds, we're usually one or two adults in the front and one or two little kids in the back. Any advice please?

3) TOMTOM NOT CONNECTING

Our Go arrived with a working TomTom, but it doesn't seem to connect (e.g. Battery doesn't charge and no sounds through the audio system) when fitted to the comms system in the car. Oddly, the dealer has booked us in for a service next week to look at this. Anyone else had this issue?

4) REVERSING SENSORS

I bet not many of you bothered with these! We think ours may be a bit rubbish, generally making no sound and then jumping in with a series of excited beeps. We thought there'd be a steady progression from 'steady' to 'careful' to 'not much further now' to 'beep beep wot the f*** beep beep'. Might ours be faulty, or are these systems generally a bit all or nothing?

5) WARNING BEEPS AT 50MPH?

Finally, a bit of a funny one. After a week of pootling about, we finally hit 50mph today. At around that time, we heard a fairly gentle beeping sound (maybe 3 or 4 short beeps). The TomTom was turned off. Is there a standard warning sound fitted to the Aygo? (NB There were no other warning lights on). If not, any guesses what our beep or beeps was please?

Sorry to post five minor things. I hope there's a couple of points there of general interest to you guys - but if not, we'd welcome your usual kind help.

Best wishes

ECFC

Re #1, I think this is normal for all cars not just Aygos. That's because when it rains, water gets past the window glass into the door interiors and there are drain holes at the bottom to let it out again. Manufacturers don't put these drains on the outside 'cos it spoils the looks, instead they're underneath the door so the water drains onto the upper surfaces of the sills. This should just dribble off - but if it's clearly getting past the rubber seals into the interior then that's a bad thing.

Re #2, #3, & #4: sorry can't help.

Re #5, what is the fuel state ? The Aygo beeps at you when the fuel gauge drops into the last bar, so it's possible that's what happened. Like you, first time it happened to me I didn't know what it was. Incidentally, this warning is worth heeding - the fuel gauge is non-linear and you don't have many miles left when you get the warning. You also get beeps if you try driving it without the driver's seatbelt being fastened.

Hope that helps !

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club!

Re: #2 I always have mine set to the highest level... it doesn't dazzle other drivers but helps you to see where you are going instead of just admiring the curbs!

Sorry I don't have anything else to offer on the rest of the points but I'm sure someone else will!

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club!

Re: #2 I always have mine set to the highest level... it doesn't dazzle other drivers but helps you to see where you are going instead of just admiring the curbs!

Sorry I don't have anything else to offer on the rest of the points but I'm sure someone else will!

If you have it set at its highest and the beams are still too low......

Perhaps THIS thread may be of help.

Ian

The water on the sills could cause problems - that's where ours entered the car, the water gets under the rubber seal and wicks into the carpet. New rubber gutters above the doors have solved this.

Headlight setting should be on '0'.

Reversing sensors - no expereince on Aygo, but my current MB doesn't sound a warning until you are very close, it does have warning lights though and once you get to two red lit up the warning goes. Other cars have just had sound which starts of as single beeps until youe get close then it is continual.

Warning beeps could be fuel level.

Enjoy your car.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrads on your new purchase. For the tom tom and the reversing aid I have no comment as I can't afford any of these.

The water on the sills; its normal in a majority of cases. If you're worried about possible leaks, take your car to a power wash and see if rain comes in... I found that it came in at the top of the windows as the seals weren't that great also watch out for your foot-wells in winter and the space in which the spare wheel is. If there is no evidence of water then you have a rare aygo :)

As for the headlights there is no "right" way, put it where you feel more comfortable as I'm usually the only one in the car but if I have rear passengers I need to adjust it.

Hope everything else is well :)

1) NO SIGN OF A LEAK, BUT...

We have no wet interior issues yet, but were a bit surprised to see quite a lot of water sitting on the metal sill of the front doors (the part that would be covered by scuff plates if we'd bought them). Is this a cause for concern worthy of a word with the dealer? And, if not, is it worth wiping these dry when possible so the water doesn't find its way somewhere more troublesome?

Quite normal. Wipe it off if you wish, but when you clean the car make sure the drain holes under the door itself are clear.

2) HEADLIGHT ADJUSTMENT

I thought there'd be a few threads about this, but couldn't see any. What's the correct setting for the headlight adjustment under the dash, please? If it makes any odds, we're usually one or two adults in the front and one or two little kids in the back. Any advice please?

We normally have ours on 0 with just the two of us in the car, with two small children in the back it shouldn't be much difference. Leave it on 0 unless you get flashed a lot, then put it on 1.

3) TOMTOM NOT CONNECTING

Our Go arrived with a working TomTom, but it doesn't seem to connect (e.g. battery doesn't charge and no sounds through the audio system) when fitted to the comms system in the car. Oddly, the dealer has booked us in for a service next week to look at this. Anyone else had this issue?

Get the dealer to check this. It should plug on and charge/work normally.

4) REVERSING SENSORS

I bet not many of you bothered with these! We think ours may be a bit rubbish, generally making no sound and then jumping in with a series of excited beeps. We thought there'd be a steady progression from 'steady' to 'careful' to 'not much further now' to 'beep beep wot the f*** beep beep'. Might ours be faulty, or are these systems generally a bit all or nothing?

The Aygo's sensors are usually in an awkward place-pointing upwards slightly, this can give some weird results... Look over your shoulder till you feel you can trust the sensors.

5) WARNING BEEPS AT 50MPH?

Finally, a bit of a funny one. After a week of pootling about, we finally hit 50mph today. At around that time, we heard a fairly gentle beeping sound (maybe 3 or 4 short beeps). The TomTom was turned off. Is there a standard warning sound fitted to the Aygo? (NB There were no other warning lights on). If not, any guesses what our beep or beeps was please?

Check your fuel, you don't ger much when the beeper goes off...

Good luck with the car, the Aygo is great fun!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links