Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hb4 Doesn't Fit !

Tx2

I purchased (and luckily I can take them back) some "HB4" extra brilliance bulbs from Halfords, but to my annoyance they don't fit!

The lugs on the fitting are in the wrong place. There's two narrower ones, and a wide one. To get them somewhere near the right fit, the angle of the connecting plug is wrong and the connecting plug will never connect. I gave up at this point as they clearly aren't right.

Halfords bulb finder shows bulbs that are completely wrong! SO I went in-store, and the guy in there said I needed HB4 as opposed to H4.

I don't want xenon or whatever they are called, or these ultra white lights that Mercs etc have, but I do want brighter bulbs than the stock IQ ones.

Someone please tell me that Toyota aren't supplying IQ's in which you can only fit Toyota specific parts??

Where can I get some bulbs that are brighter, as per the Halfords Super Brilliant Blue (HBU472SBB) H4 Car Bulb is supposed to be?

Thanks!

* slightly annoyed IQ owner *

I purchased (and luckily I can take them back) some "HB4" extra brilliance bulbs from Halfords, but to my annoyance they don't fit!

The lugs on the fitting are in the wrong place. There's two narrower ones, and a wide one. To get them somewhere near the right fit, the angle of the connecting plug is wrong and the connecting plug will never connect. I gave up at this point as they clearly aren't right.

Halfords bulb finder shows bulbs that are completely wrong! SO I went in-store, and the guy in there said I needed HB4 as opposed to H4.

I don't want Xenon or whatever they are called, or these ultra white lights that Mercs etc have, but I do want brighter bulbs than the stock IQ ones.

Someone please tell me that Toyota aren't supplying IQ's in which you can only fit Toyota specific parts??

Where can I get some bulbs that are brighter, as per the Halfords Super Brilliant Blue (HBU472SBB) H4 Car Bulb is supposed to be?

Thanks!

The trouble with eBay the sellers group every car and his cat together . When you know dam well they are wrong. I did buy mine off eBay, the 55 watt type.The reason I didn't buy the 100w type is because although the wiring can take it, they don't just work off a simple switch and relay like old cars but probably by MOSFET transistor arrays and you don't know their rating. If anyone on here has fitted 100w one's and been using them for a while I would like to know please.

David

Funny thing I done a website search I found so many supplliers they were trying to sell the darned things.

Personally I wouldn't use Halfrauds unless I had to. :eek:

According to your iQ booklet it needs A= HIR2 lightbulbs.

HIR2. are the headlights...

H11 .. are the foglights...

On this image you can see the number of the light at Toyota's.

90981-13062,

Of course it is in Dutch....

Do not bye there as you can see what I had to pay for one lightbulb replacement... Pfieuw...

€ 63.36 Euro's

ONE lightbulb ONE

notatoyota-lampje--1.jpg

Peter..

Funny thing I done a website search I found so many supplliers they were trying to sell the darned things.

Please tell me where (or on which web sites) you found anyone that sells the correct replacement bulbs that are brighter than the Toyota stock ones? I for one can't find anything, as even autobulbsdirect.co.uk are suggesting the car uses H4, which is totally incorrect! The HB4 mount from Halfords is also wrong, so what 'mount' or headlight type is suited for the IQ?? I cannot believe that Toyota have manufactured bespoke fittings for this car. I can't find HIR2 fitting (as mentioned above) either.

Please tell me where (or on which web sites) you found anyone that sells the correct replacement bulbs that are brighter than the Toyota stock ones? I for one can't find anything, as even autobulbsdirect.co.uk are suggesting the car uses H4, which is totally incorrect! The HB4 mount from Halfords is also wrong, so what 'mount' or headlight type is suited for the IQ?? I cannot believe that Toyota have manufactured bespoke fittings for this car. I can't find HIR2 fitting (as mentioned above) either.

Have a look at this site tells you all about them i have some 80watt 9006 one's http://hirheadlights.com/

David

Have a look at this site tells you all about them i have some 80watt 9006 one's http://hirheadlights.com/

David

Many thanks David. Interesting article. It seems the lights fitted to my IQ, are probably some of the brightest available anyway... ?

David

Many thanks David. Interesting article. It seems the lights fitted to my IQ, are probably some of the brightest available anyway... ?

Having gone down this route a few months back i came to the same conclusion . have a look at the FAQ's on that site it tells you about lamp bases. on another note have you looked at your "CB" aerial topic i replied to it.

David

Toshiba make the stock HIR 2 but the upgraded HIR2 are made by Philips and very rare to find over here! I managed to import from America paid about £50 ! And there not worth it very unwelmed not noticeable brighter! so to get brighter whiter bulbs it's an expensive mod job for the IQ unfortunately!

Hey Tx2

You are quite right in your findings... HIR2 are brighter (lumens) and have better visibility than any regular H* or HB* and certainly any claimed 'whiter' or 'bluer' bulb you may find. So, unless you want to go 'illegal' with retrofit HID, then you pretty much already have the best visibility available.

A word of caution... whilst it is actually possible to 'tweak' the plastic tabs on HB4 to fit the HIR2 fitting - I would strongly advise against replacing with higher than recommended wattage, you could well damage the headlamp housing... I recall a post somewhere on the forum where someone did exactly this.

stecat

Hey Tx2

You are quite right in your findings... HIR2 are brighter (lumens) and have better visibility than any regular H* or HB* and certainly any claimed 'whiter' or 'bluer' bulb you may find. So, unless you want to go 'illegal' with retrofit HID, then you pretty much already have the best visibility available.

A word of caution... whilst it is actually possible to 'tweak' the plastic tabs on HB4 to fit the HIR2 fitting - I would strongly advise against replacing with higher than recommended wattage, you could well damage the headlamp housing... I recall a post somewhere on the forum where someone did exactly this.

stecat

Thanks for the advice fella; I did think about 'tweaking' the tabs to make the fit, but on discovering the facts about the stock bulbs, I quickly changed my mind, combined with the fact I obviously know very little about car electrics, I also thought it best to not the car as an experiment!

Hey Tx2

stecat

Thanks for the advice fella; I did think about 'tweaking' the tabs to make the fit, but on discovering the facts about the stock bulbs, I quickly changed my mind, combined with the fact I obviously know very little about car electrics, I also thought it best to not the car as an experiment!

TX2 and your a Radio Amateur, Have you never built anything? like a receiver or transmitter, power supply etc

David

... and your a Radio Amateur, Have you never built anything? like a receiver or transmitter, power supply etc

David

Used to do all sorts of things electrical in cars that had basic electrics, 20 years ago... These days, the electronics are a lot more sophisticated, and I have no real interest in such, to be honest. I get the basics, but when ECU's are involved with resistance calculations etc, I'm plain dumb.

As for the amateur radio - I'm an M6 licence holder, so the most I have built, is antenna's. I don't dabble in electronics, I just use them.

But then again, I bet there are few people who know how to program CISCO network switches the way I do... without my skills, you probably wouldn't be reading this forum :)

Ah that explains things. Strangely I do have CISCO creditatiom level 2. But have let it laps now.

David

Hi,

I tried and fitted a HB3 9005 100watt in to one of my head lights yesterday, all I had to do was trim one of the lugs by snipping a piece off with some snips.

I would not advice or recommend fitting 100watt bulbs of any type, when I fitted the bulb it gave off even less light than the standard HIR2 bulb, plus after just seconds I feel the extra heat the bulb was giving against the head lamp lense so took it out immediately and replaced the standard bulb.

Once I have found a suitable HID kit I will fit one, ANY SUGGECTIONS FOR A HID kit WILL BE WELCOMED.

Many thanks

Heath

Hi Heathie

If you look about 9 pages back there was a guy called 'onboardvision' who fitted HID's to his daughters car for £56.0 and bought them from HID direct via eBay for £56. Lots of info and a blow by blow with detailed instruction. Here is the link http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121329

Also look at this link, http://hirheadlights.com It tells you all about the lights you have been fitting and you will no doubt come to the same conclusion as others, the one's that came with the car are the brightest around unless you do the HID conversion.

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links