Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Prius

ol'git

Hi folks,

Firstly, I apologies for a longish first post, I do tend to waffle a bit so please excuse me :D.

Noob here to Toyota's, I've been a Vauxhall/Ford (I know, boo, hiss, spit, yadda, blah!) man all of

my driving life, but now it's time to see the light and consider a Toyota, not just any Toyota though

but a Prius.

I suppose a little background of my driving history wouldn't go a miss, so, for the past 35 years

I've usually had 2.5L - 3.0L V6's or straight 6's, and for the past four years I've been driving a

Mk3 Mondeo 2.0L TCDi, now the thing is I no longer need a diesel or petrol slurping big engined car

as I don't do the mileage to warrant one, plus the Mondeo is now starting to become a 'cash-cow',

Flywheel £800, Power-steering pump £800, front n/s o/s gaters £150 etc, plus my mechanic making a good

living out of me.

So comes the Toyota Prius ... I've noticed more and more Prius's on the road and they haven't been

the slouches as has been suggested by a 'top expert motoring journalist' ... LOL ... Mr Clarkson, in

fact they have been quiet the opposite. I'm not one of these tear-a***d boy racers with a heavy foot

and an exhaust bigger than my brain, and I know that the Prius is not a Formula 1 car, all I want is

a car that will get me from A - B in comfort and roughly the same time frame the Diesel takes and

fairly cheaply too.

I had a quick chat with a Prius owner the other day and he was telling me all kinds of things from

cheaper insurance, no VED, 500+ mpg town miles from a 40 litre tank and only filling up once a month.

I took a lot of what he told me with a pinch of salt, that was however, before I started to read

reviews about the car.

I know performance charts from the manufacturer can be misleading so I thought I'd ask at a place

where there are knowledgeable people who really know these things, so here I am.

Now the questions...

I'm a bit of a lump, 6" 3 and 24 stone ... will the Prius seat take my weight and will my head be brushing the roof lining?

How is the legroom in the back, I have a daughter who is 6" and another at 5" 11, both with long legs, will they be comfy on long

journeys?

My youngest daughter will be off to uni in the next two years (eldest just finished), will I be able

to get all her junk in it like I can the Mondeo and still have two passengers?

Are there any hidden faults with the car? How good is the Hybrid engine and auto box?

Are there any major faults with the car mechanically and will I take a big hit in the wallet?

What are the servicing costs like and can they be done without using a dealer?

Will the car last me a good long while, 5+ years?

So, my one underlying question has to be... is there any reason why I SHOULDN'T buy a Prius?

I'm off to my local Toyota dealer (Rayleigh, Essex, only a mile away) later this week to have a look

round, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks to all who've taken the time to read the wall of text, and again, apologies for the long first

post.

Thanks all,

Bob

Have a read through this forum for full details. Is the Prius reliable? Sure - very. Is it perfect? No but it's much better than virtually all the competition in the same price band. Should you buy one? Dunno, your call. I'll lay out some of the pro's below so you can make your mind up (and I'm sure others will add their twopence worth);

No road tax (gen3 onwards)

If you get less than 50 mpg on a trip you're doing something wrong. I get between 50 & 75 mpg depending on the journey. (54 mpg Yorkshire to central London and back at motorway speeds (remember I'm a cabbie ;) ). 64 mpg Yorkshire to Lake District, days out and then back). My personal best was 91 mpg from Alwoodly in Leeds to Harrogate at 45-50 mph.

0-60 mph in 10 seconds, 134 bhp, so not super fast but adequate - good for the class.

100,000 mile warranty - should put your mind at rest.

Very low company car tax.

Free entry to London congestion charge zone (you need to register first though).

Plenty of rear leg room and a good boot but not as big as the Mondeo's.

Appeals to the inner geek in you :)

Very smooth to drive

Servicing is normal but the gen3 Prius NEEDS expensive 0w20 oil or your mpg will hit the floor! You have been warned on that note.

Get an extended test drive to see if it suits you and you suit it :)

Bob, welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

My first Prius was a new t-spirit 2nd generation, I liked it so much I changed it for a 3rd gen one just over a year ago...

i'm 6'6" 15 stone, no problem fitting in to it, even in the back!

clarkson and co don't like toyotas so you would never get a good review from them, suffice it to say that I can leave a golf gti standing in the traffic light gp, much to the disgust of the teenage drivers of said automobiles!

servicing, MUST be done by a main dealer, they will have the tools and knowhow to handle what is still a relatively new technology even if hybrids have been around for 10 years now.

Are they reliable? Ask the cabbies in Vancouver and Toronto who have done in excess of a million kilometers in them!

Do they go wrong? Probably, but with a 5 year warranty does it matter?

Having said that, I've had Toyotas for 25 years and only ever visit the dealer for services or to buy a new one!

Some would say they don't like the 'plastic' interior, well, if they didn't like it they shouldn't have bought the car imo, but they would possibly disagree...

Have a test, read this forum and make up your own mind!

tone

Hi Bob,

Good choice! I'm like you 6 years ago always in to Vauxhall even though its not 3 ltr V6 (just 1.8 astra). Since then I've never look back. In terms of fitting you, I cant answer that I'm 5'11 at the back with the driver seat right back still got about 2-3 inches of space between my knee and the driver sit.

The boot size is very good enough to fit 2 big bulky pushchair in it.

The hybrid system, engine and the gearbox are very reliable, my last Gen 2 done 160k mile on the clock still working fine when we sold it recently. Still capable of doing 56-60mpg depend how you tread it. Never have to change the Battery. Now we upgraded to Gen3 even better mpg.

Servicing wise, I think you need to get it service by Toyota due to the warranty on the Hybrid system. Its that not expensive for normal small service cost £110, even for big service cost only £150. Thats peanut compare to Vauxhall charge me £300 every service for a doggy Astra.

Ditto it will last you for a long time. I saw a Gen 1 on Autotrader or eBay done 912k still going.

In your question of 'is there any reason why I SHOULDN'T buy a Prius?' Got too much money for petrol.

If you adore gadget then this is the car for you. It pack full of gadget if you go for the T-Spirit spec.

Have fun.

Hi lads,

thanks for the replies, I'm off to the dealer in about 30mins to have a good look at one and m'be I can book an extended test drive too.

I've been looking through the forum since Friday night, and from what I've read they do seem to be a more reliable car compared to others in their class, and as Grumpy said, they ain't bomb proof, if they were, everyone would have one.

So far from your replies, it looks like I won't have problems with rear seat legroom which, for me, is a big plus as on the Mondeo, with my seat right back and my eldest behind me, she only has about an inch legroom.

Before I started seriously looking at the Prius, I was looking at something like a crossover, Qashqai, Kuga, Rava4 etc, but after reading the horror stories about the Kuga leaking worse than a sieve, and the Qashqai having rear suspension problems as well as brakes replacements at 24k, they sort of put me off.

The 134bhp is around the same as my current car, and that's not fast, so that would suit me down to the ground.

As for servicing it makes sense to only use the dealer (don't know why I even asked about that), my mechanic used to be a service manager for Allen Fords so he knows what he's doing when it comes to Fords. but as Tone pointed out, it's still relatively new technology so use those who know it best.

Service costs ... as Priusable pointed out, he was quoted £300, Allen Ford and Kent Elm Fords quoted me £500 for a full service and £185 for a normal one, too much for me.

Grumpy, gotcha on the oil, have been reading the posts about it, was going to ask today.

Oh and Tone, trust me when I say I take everything Clarkson and co say about cars with a very big pinch of salt, those three couldn't review a cornflake even if their lives depended on it.

To me, the Prius is looking better with everything I read about it, looks like you may have a new owners club member soon ;), I just have to get a test drive first.

My first Prius was a new t-spirit 2nd generation, I liked it so much I changed it for a 3rd gen one just over a year ago...

i'm 6'6" 15 stone, no problem fitting in to it, even in the back!

clarkson and co don't like toyotas so you would never get a good review from them,

Have a test, read this forum and make up your own mind!

tone

I think they were quite impressed with the Toyota Pick up. They dropped it off a building if I remember correctly, drowned it and it still ran. They don't like the Gen2 Prius but I think the Top gear site gives the Gen 3 Prius 13/20 and I am pretty sure they knocked several points off it for being "uncool".

We have had the Prius Gen 2 and now the Gen 3. Both T Spirits. The best cars we have ever owned. All that has been said about the Prius on this thread I agree with. We were told to be prepared for lots of rattles etc but to date the car runs smoothly and it is so easy to drive.

Cheers for the info Chris :D.

Well, just got back from Lookers Rayleigh and I must admit, I'm impressed. Scott the sales exec was fantastic, answered all our questions and even answered ones we didn't ask, booked a 24hr test drive for Friday and can't wait for it to come round.

Sat in the 10 year anniversary edition and he showed us all that was on offer, not too keen on the leather seats but that's just personal opinion, boot space is smaller than what I'm used too but I can live with that, rear seat legroom is great but there may be a slight problem with the sloping roof and my 6' daughter, Friday we'll know for sure.

When the petrol engine kicked in it was very quiet so impressed with that, I like the dash layout too, lots of buttons to play with.

All in all I left the showroom a very happy ol'git, so roll on Friday.

Just changed from a Verso Automatic which was a very good car to a Prius and have done 1,000 miles in 17 days and for the space and the fuel economy you get for an automatic car of this size its hard to beat

fuel economy I am getting between 63 MPG to 65 MPG which for a automatic car with the engine running in is good

Regarding the boot did you look at the storage under the boot flap which is quite useful also in general Toyota dealers are very good

Our Prius has leather; we prefer it. I think it is harder wearing and easier to maintain.

All in all I left the showroom a very happy ol'git, so roll on Friday.

Excellent :thumbsup:

Rear legroom is a strength in the car and the split fold rear seat adds a nice touch of practicality. I don't mind the relatively shallow boot, the extra (secure) storage underneath is very handy.

You might like to ask your Toyota dealer if they will reprogram the Friday car for you to remove the incessant reverse bong. That's the first thing I got them to do on mine and it only takes them a couple of minutes.

I did the Toyota Challenge in a Prius Anniversary; I liked the leather seats, personally, but I accept that your mileage may differ. :)

Welcome to the forum, ol'git. I get the impression that there are a number of us ol'gits on this forum so you're in good company. :thumbsup:

I agree with all the positive things that have been said about the Prius. Regarding servicing costs, I took out a 4 year contract at what seemed an amazingly low price after the servicing costs on my Saab. With that and the 5 year guarantee I knew that the only things left to pay for would be tyres and polish.

If you brake gently most of the braking is done by the regenerative system so saves on brake pad wear. At the service that was done at 18k miles the pads were only 10% worn from new so should last a long time yet. :D

Someone has mentioned that there is a space beneath the boot floor for extra storage, but I find that I can also pack a lot of small things around the spare wheel. Altogether it is amazing just how much you can get in. You just have to pray that you don't get a puncture.

Some would say they don't like the 'plastic' interior, well, if they didn't like it they shouldn't have bought the car imo, but they would possibly disagree.....

......I disagree.

Buying a car is a bit like picking a political party. You may not like all of it but you are buying the package and have to accept the bits you don't like. At least with the Prius there is a fair chance that it will live up to what is promised. ;)

• Like 1

Clarkson and co don't like toyotas so you would never get a good review from them,

I think they were quite impressed with the Toyota Pick up. They dropped it off a building if I remember correctly, drowned it and it still ran. They don't like the Gen2 Prius but I think the Top gear site gives the Gen 3 Prius 13/20 and I am pretty sure they knocked several points off it for being "uncool".

While Clarkson may knock the Prius, the Top Gear organisation named the gen3 Prius their city car of the year for 2009.

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/prius-named-top-gear-city-car-of-the-year

I have had many different sized back seat passengers comment on how much room there is in the gen3. The boot isn't as deep as you would expect but having an estate-like floor level with the rear bumper is great (no lifting things up and over the lip that normal hatchbacks have) and the underfloor storage is handy. You can always take the floor out if you need a bit of extra depth. Top tip - if you use the boot a lot, get a boot liner. :thumbsup:

Clarkson and co don't like toyotas so you would never get a good review from them,

While Clarkson may knock the Prius, the Top Gear organisation named the gen3 Prius their city car of the year for 2009.

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/prius-named-top-gear-city-car-of-the-year

I have had many different sized back seat passengers comment on how much room there is in the gen3. The boot isn't as deep as you would expect but having an estate-like floor level with the rear bumper is great (no lifting things up and over the lip that normal hatchbacks have) and the underfloor storage is handy. You can always take the floor out if you need a bit of extra depth. Top tip - if you use the boot a lot, get a boot liner. :thumbsup:

Excellent! The recognition it deserves.

Hi folks,

many thanks for all your replies, welcomes and info ... this really is a nice place to visit :D.

Well I'm going to find out just how good/bad the Prius is on Friday, I have a few things I need to do which means some country road driving, town work and A road, plus Friday is shopping day, lets see how much room really is in the boot ;).

I must admit though, I have seen something that may take me to the 'dark side'? ... that new Lexus CT200h looks nice, it is smaller on the inside but it does look better on the eye ... that's just my opinion though :D.

The CT200h is fantastic. I've driven one, but they are quite expensive new. Instead I've just bought an Auris Hybrid, which is basically the same car without some of the Lexus luxury. It has the same engine/performance though. I've owned 4 other Lexus cars over the years and I love the brand - always been well looked after by my local dealer. My recent move to Toyota has been fine so far though.

Your right, the Lexus does look better, but when I test drove it, I found it much less practical than the Prius. Rear seat headroom and legroom seemed more restricted and the boot significantly smaller.

I had hoped that at least the rear view would be better, but it wasn't. I really liked the idea of going back to Lexus, but when my next change is due in 2012, it looks like being another Prius.

The CT200h is fantastic. I've driven one, but they are quite expensive new. Instead I've just bought an Auris Hybrid, which is basically the same car without some of the Lexus luxury. It has the same engine/performance though. I've owned 4 other Lexus cars over the years and I love the brand - always been well looked after by my local dealer. My recent move to Toyota has been fine so far though.

Thanks for the info, never owned a Lexus or Toyota before so it's going to be a new ride for me and I must admit, I'm quite looking forward to it.

Your right, the Lexus does look better, but when I test drove it, I found it much less practical than the Prius. Rear seat headroom and legroom seemed more restricted and the boot significantly smaller.

That's interesting about the rear head/leg room, that is one thing I must have, also boot space would be an advantage but from what I've read and what you've just reported, its actually smaller than the Prius.

I've been reading further into this part of the forum and I'm learning more and leaning more towards the Prius, the sales guy at Lookers Rayleigh told me that Mr T will be releasing a new version Prius next March, along with the plug in version, there's going to be a 7 seat version, so must be longer than the present Gen III and with the two extra seats down, the boot space could be approx the same size as the Mk3 Mondeo hatch.

Hi folks,

many thanks for all your replies, welcomes and info ... this really is a nice place to visit :D.

Well I'm going to find out just how good/bad the Prius is on Friday, I have a few things I need to do which means some country road driving, town work and A road, plus Friday is shopping day, lets see how much room really is in the boot ;).

I must admit though, I have seen something that may take me to the 'dark side'? ... that new Lexus CT200h looks nice, it is smaller on the inside but it does look better on the eye ... that's just my opinion though :D.

Rather than go smaller and pay a lot more money for in CT200H, you may as well get the Auris Hybrid which is cheaper and you can get a higher spec.

there's going to be a 7 seat version, so must be longer than the present Gen III and with the two extra seats down, the boot space could be approx the same size as the Mk3 Mondeo hatch.

The Prius+ (Or Prius v [yes, lowercase] as it's known in america) has a really big load area. I am sure bigger than the mondeo hatch, but not as large as the mondeo estate.

Hi folks,

Rather than go smaller and pay a lot more money for in CT200H, you may as well get the Auris Hybrid which is cheaper and you can get a higher spec.

Nope, definitely-maybe (lol) going to go for the Prius, maybe even the seven seater when it comes out next March.

The Prius+ (Or Prius v [yes, lowercase] as it's known in america) has a really big load area. I am sure bigger than the mondeo hatch, but not as large as the mondeo estate.

That's the one that's really caught my attention :D.

Hi folks,

The ct200 has the same drivetrain as the Prius, a smaller boot and the top of range I believe is going on for 10k dearer!

Having said that......

Yum yum

:thumbsup:

I actually prefer the Prius for looks anyway. The Ct200h is much more angular; while I accept that is the modern trend in car design, I guess it's the engineer in me that likes the highly streamlined look of the Prius with its Kamm tail.

I was in England on business yesterday and I saw a Gen 2 and a Gen 3 in tandem on the motorway. Both fine looking cars. I've never seen the two models of Prius travelling together in Northern Ireland, the Prius (either version) is still a relatively rare beast over here.

And I've only seen one CT200h on the road here, quite close to my house as it happens.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links