Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Marbles In A Can

marshmeister

Hi folks,

I have a rav 4 2.0 vvti petrol on an 06 plate. 3 days ago I noticed clearly what sounded like marbles in a can when the car is stood idle, really quite loud noise from the underside of the engine. I'm being told it could be a leak on the water pump with fluid getting into the bearings hence the marbles in a can noise, has anyone else experienced the same thing?

On another note I have got a clunking noise when turning corners as if the steering is playing up. Had my RAV 4 over 4 years & no problems what so ever now she's in the garage. Gutted. Does anyone have any ideas what these problems could be before I Shell out what maybe hundreds in Halfords autocentres. :crybaby:

I find the best way of locating a noise is to put a long metal object to my ear(socket extension bars etc) and touch suspected places on the engine. Be careful of moving objects etc.

Having said that,in most engines the water pump bearing has a void in the centre that has a drain hole to the outside. So if your bearing seal has failed you should see a leak of coolant coming out under the pump.

If the noise is only apparent when the engine is idling, then I would suggest having a look at the exhaust heat shield around the cat, mine was making a terrible tinkling / jangling noise, but only at a certain engine rpm when it starts to resonate.

A large jubilee clip around the whole thing cured it, and its only about a five minute job.

Phil

Your first mistake is to take it to a Halfrauds centre unless you like parting with your hard earned cash,I can't see that it's your water pump leaking as you would be filling up all the time and/or overheating,most noises like you describe are I agree with the others are exhaust heat shields rattling away

I've had a leaking water pump replaced and confirm the gold derived fluid (How much!) does deposit itself over the road. I could hear the bearing noise. Also had the heat shield bolts rust away. Just have a quick look underneath.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links