Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Most Traded In Car For The Leaf

Grumpy Cabbie

This is an American article on which vehicles are traded in for the Nissan Leaf. Over there it is the Toyota Prius, where 18% of all trades in for a Leaf were Prii.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1067548_which-cars-are-getting-traded-in-for-electric-cars-we-find-out

So I'm curious what the figures are over here? I'm wondering if it would be similar or at least is the Prius the top trade in. If it is, Toyota might want to reassess the ridiculous price of their forthcoming PHEV Prius as customers don't appear loyal to the brand as such, but rather the early adoptor nature of the new technology.

I've got a Prius and am tempted for a Leaf. I liked the idea of the PHEV Prius, but £31,000!!! lol not a chance. What would you get if you were to replace your Prius - a PHEV Prius, a Leaf or the Ampera?

• Like 10

If the choice was between a Leaf or an Ampera I would favour the Ampera ......I would think that the Leaf would not be big enough for Taxi work.

The Ampera is a slightly larger vehicle and has the advantage of an ICE to provide Battery charge

Despite its high cost the PHEV Prius is IMHO the better option :thumbsup:

I like the Ampera but would prefer to stick with Toyota, that PHEV Prius is just too much though.

If the choice was between a Leaf or an Ampera I would favour the Ampera ......I would think that the Leaf would not be big enough for Taxi work.

The Ampera is a slightly larger vehicle and has the advantage of an ICE to provide battery charge

The Leaf may appear smaller but it has one massive advantage over the Ampera for taxi work - it has four passenger seats compared to the Amperas three. Yep, the Ampera only has four seats, two at the front and two individual seats in the rear with a gap between them for the Battery. Do'h. If it had a normal back seat I'd have seriously considered it, but three passenger seats? Nah. I'd go bust quicker than a Rover parts supplier.

• Like 4

The Ampera is a slightly larger vehicle and has the advantage of an ICE to provide battery charge

The Leaf may appear smaller but it has one massive advantage over the Ampera for taxi work - it has four passenger seats compared to the Amperas three. Yep, the Ampera only has four seats, two at the front and two individual seats in the rear with a gap between them for the Battery. Do'h. If it had a normal back seat I'd have seriously considered it, but three passenger seats? Nah. I'd go bust quicker than a Rover parts supplier.

Do you think that the PHEV Prius is totally out of the question for you?

It surely would be very economical to operate and you may be able to search for a supplying dealer who would offer you a discount......T the full list price I would think that Toyota might just struggle to sell many

Do you think that the PHEV Prius is totally out of the question for you?

It surely would be very economical to operate and you may be able to search for a supplying dealer who would offer you a discount......T the full list price I would think that Toyota might just struggle to sell many

I'd say it was completely out of the question. To be honest, the creeping increase of the new Prius is slowly making it borderline financially viable, let alone the £31,000 PHEV Prius. I mean £10k more for 15 mile range? OK, I accept there is a £5k grant to deduct for as long as Government funds allow but even then £26k is a heck of a lot of money and just not worth the hassle of plugging in for the 15 miles. Now if Toyota hadn't been greedy and priced the car along the same lines they have in America, then it would cost £26k - £5k = £21k or the same as the existing model. Wasn't that the idea of the £5k grant? Bring the cost down so that early adoptors take a chance on the new tech, rather than just allow manufacturers to jump up their profits.

I also think Toyota are taking their customers for granted, when it appears - at least in America, that early adoptors aren't really loyal if someone else is offering something better, for less (Nissan with their Leaf).

Now if I can get a PHEV Prius for £21k as a special deal from Toyota to get their new car out in the open then yes I'd take it. They do give discounts (as I got with my original Prius) but £5k? Not a chance.

• Like 5

Bring the cost down so that early adoptors take a chance on the new tech, rather than just allow manufacturers to jump up their profits.

I also think Toyota are taking their customers for granted, when it appears - at least in America, that early adoptors aren't really loyal if someone else is offering something better, for less (Nissan with their Leaf).

We all know how Toyota treats early adopters, don't we:

• Weasel warranty.
  • The brake recall fiasco.
  • Archaeological satnav data, with no clue about how to update it.
  • The 0w/20 oil confusion. Still not sorted for lease customers.

I think you would have to be certifiable to go for an early PHEV from Toyota, let alone at the inflated price.

And yes, I can understand the lack of loyalty to Toyota. It's a two way street.

• Like 2

I've got a Prius and am tempted for a Leaf. I liked the idea of the PHEV Prius, but £31,000!!! lol not a chance. What would you get if you were to replace your Prius - a PHEV Prius, a Leaf or the Ampera

2 things here.

First, ok so you buy a leaf, I have no electricity supply in my lockup garage, where do I charge it? the phev Prius, same comment

Second, Ampera, I wouldn't touch Vauxhall with a bargepole, I know too many people with GM cars that wish they hadn't bothered!

So, what do I replace my Prius with? Frankly I have no idea, it could well be another one in 2 years time, or if I can persuade Jan then a CT200h may finish up in the garage (if it fits that is!)

Yes, the PHEV is expensive, but you still get the 'hybrid' bit that you don't get with the leaf, and what's to say that the Ampera will be any cheaper?

• Like 2

I see the anonymous -1 giver is out and about again. How was the first post of mine in this thread worth a -1? It was asking a question about an article I'd seen.

Some real sad acts on this forum.

• Like 5

I have no inclination to change our Gen 3 yet. The last thing I would get though is the Leaf and definitely not a Vauxhall.I think the Hybrid is still the best bet at the present time. Who knows what the future will bring??

I liked the idea of the PHEV Prius, but £31,000!!! lol not a chance.

The Government are giving a £5,000.00 grant to anyone looking to purchase the new Plug-in Prius as a reward for going even greener.

I see the anonymous -1 giver is out and about again. How was the first post of mine in this thread worth a -1? It was asking a question about an article I'd seen.

Grunpy, I've no idea how the guy does your ratings... if I try it tells me I've reached my quota for the day, and that's on the first one!

The Government are giving a £5,000.00 grant to anyone looking to purchase the new Plug-in Prius as a reward for going even greener.

But Scott, what price would you, Vernon and Katie be selling them at when the government pot runs out?

• Like 1

I see the anonymous -1 giver is out and about again. How was the first post of mine in this thread worth a -1? It was asking a question about an article I'd seen. Some real sad acts on this forum.

Check my rep out! Beat that! :toast:

• Like 2

Whats this crap about ratings and reps ??? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

But Scott, what price would you, Vernon and Katie be selling them at when the government pot runs out?

Which when they cotton on to how the manufacturers are manipulating prices so much I predict the pot will disappear sharpish.

• Like 3

That is yet to be decided by Toyota, we don't determine the prices unfortunately. But as you can see, the Government see it as a worth-while product enough to give grants on it. The matter of price is something that is being communicated to Toyota, but ultimately it is Toyota's decision.

• Like 1

Just ignore them - most sensible people on this forum realise that you are a helpful and good member of this forum - particularly with your knowledge of the Prius. I see commonsense has kicked in and your currently on a +2 for that post (+3 in a minute :toast:)

Red diesel

• Like 1

I quite like the Ampera. I can well see me looking at one in a few years time when the lease expires on my Prius.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links