Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Economy

deltadam

I have to point out that 80% of our driving is high consumption ie cold start, short urban cycles.

This is the problem, and no hypermiling technique in existence will help alas. :(

Petrol (And especially diesel!) cars have a pretty large efficiency penalty when the engine is cold; Short runs that don't tax the engine or let it warm up before arriving really kill mpg. The only cars that don't suffer horribly under those conditions are hybrid and electric cars (Which, paradoxically, actually love those conditions! :lol:)

I've had a lot of short runs in the cold lately but no motorway runs and I'm on course for the worst mpg 'score' I've ever had in my ickle Yaris! :eek: I typically get 500-600 miles out of a tank but I'm barely going to hit 400 at the rate I'm currently going!!! :crybaby:

I have to point out that 80% of our driving is high consumption ie cold start, short urban cycles.

This is the problem, and no hypermiling technique in existence will help alas. :(

Petrol (And especially diesel!) cars have a pretty large efficiency penalty when the engine is cold; Short runs that don't tax the engine or let it warm up before arriving really kill mpg. The only cars that don't suffer horribly under those conditions are hybrid and electric cars (Which, paradoxically, actually love those conditions! :lol:)

I've had a lot of short runs in the cold lately but no motorway runs and I'm on course for the worst mpg 'score' I've ever had in my ickle Yaris! :eek: I typically get 500-600 miles out of a tank but I'm barely going to hit 400 at the rate I'm currently going!!! :crybaby:

I agree with this in essence but would say that short runs in a hybrid also hit the fuel consumptions. Or at least it did in my 2009 Gen 2 Prius- limited range (about a mile on electric if Battery fully charged up) and the ICE would always try to cut in to warm up to keep emissions low. Clever technology, much larger car than the Aygo and automatic.

David

I drive at 70 MPH on motorways mostly and get 54 MPG most times, never worse than 50 never better than 59.

Is that 50-59 range for motorway driving only or your overall driving MPG?

over all. If I drive above 70 MPG drops to the lower end of 50. With the odd school run and 65-70 I usually get 55, every week. I fill up the tank every week due to the large amount of miles I do. 360-384 miles on a tank before flashing light. I always use fuelly to track but this is just an average.

I dont try and be economical, I dont coast or brake with a feather. I just drive!

over all. If I drive above 70 MPG drops to the lower end of 50. With the odd school run and 65-70 I usually get 55, every week. I fill up the tank every week due to the large amount of miles I do. 360-384 miles on a tank before flashing light. I always use fuelly to track but this is just an average.

I dont try and be economical, I dont coast or brake with a feather. I just drive!

The Aygo has a usable fuel capacity of 34.5 litres or 7.6 gallons. If you run between 360-384 miles to the flashing light that equates to 47.5-50.5 MPG.

How does that deliver you "55 every week"?

The Aygo has a usable fuel capacity of 34.5 litres or 7.6 gallons. If you run between 360-384 miles to the flashing light that equates to 47.5-50.5 MPG.

All of his fuel statistics are on Fuelly - just click the logo to have a look.

For example fuel up 14 was 381 miles and used 29.13 litres which is about 6.4 uk gallons which gives 59.5 mpg.

I hope that helps.

To be honest I think if you are getting 40 mpg on short urban journeys that is good. I will be quite happy to average 55 mpg on my journeys but they are normally at least 13 miles in length and very few hold ups. If I drove short journeys in a city environment I would probably be happy with anything over 30 mpg.

David

04/11/11 362.2 32.60 50.5 1.319 20%

29/10/11 324.1 28.27 52.1 1.309 20%

22/10/11 380.0 31.84 54.3 1.319 25%

12/10/11 359.7 29.87 54.7 1.339 20%

04/10/11 355.0 32.13 50.2 1.329 25%

24/09/11 381.4 32.36 53.6 1.329 25%

17/09/11 380.0 32.37 53.4 1.359 25%

This is just a few fill ups. From Fuelly.com.

row 1 miles

row 2 litres

row 3 mpg

row 4 cost per litre

row 5 city driving %

04/11/11 362.2 32.60 50.5 1.319 20%

29/10/11 324.1 28.27 52.1 1.309 20%

22/10/11 380.0 31.84 54.3 1.319 25%

12/10/11 359.7 29.87 54.7 1.339 20%

04/10/11 355.0 32.13 50.2 1.329 25%

24/09/11 381.4 32.36 53.6 1.329 25%

17/09/11 380.0 32.37 53.4 1.359 25%

This is just a few fill ups. From Fuelly.com.

row 1 miles

row 2 litres

row 3 mpg

row 4 cost per litre

row 5 city driving %

Yes I see. I made my comment because MY flashing light means I half half a litre left - eg I need 34.5 litres to fill up each time!

• 2 weeks later...

Our Aygo is thrashed by me around country lanes twice a week to get to work, the wife uses it for 2mile shopping trips and we average 50-51 mpg.

Check your tyre pressures and stop trying to get 100mpg!! Drive it like a normal car, the MPG's will come.

• 2 months later...

I have an 08 plate Aygo with 35k on the clock and am lucky to get 45mpg around town and can squeeze 50 on a run and I don't thrash it. I always wonder how people get such phenomenal MPG.

I have an 08 plate Aygo with 35k on the clock and am lucky to get 45mpg around town and can squeeze 50 on a run and I don't thrash it. I always wonder how people get such phenomenal MPG.

We have a 2008 Aygo plus automatic and we get exactly the same as you (i.e. 16Km /litre). The car has only done 35000Km since new and it was serviced just before we got it by a Toyota agent. It has 0 -5W synthetic oil, so should run light. The winter was not at all harsh this year. We bought it during the month of Januari. My wife does mostly city driving except during week ends. How come people are getting such low fuel consumption, that we are unable to reproduce? I just wonder!

I don't feel so bad now then!! Maybe it's the norm for the auto?

One way to cut down on fuel consumption is to use it in the manual mode, but my wife is happy just using it in the auto mode. It is actually more fun to drive in the manual mode and the gear changes are going to be earlier and quicker saving on fuel. We are due for the water pump change this week because of slight leak of the dreaded pink radiator fluid from the water pump; other wise we are very happy with the car.

I've driven it in manual mode and it's made absolutely no difference to the economy.

mmm i get 100 miles of the 1st pip on the fuel gage

then

another hundred off the second pip on the fule gage

then

about 70 off all the others

so i dont know if this is any good? or not?????

thanks

angus

MMT driver here.

I drive gently......I bought an Aygo to reduce my motoring costs.

Round town and short trips in the winter 50mpg on most tankfulls.

Have just driven to Scotland, round Scotland for a week

& home to Sheffield. 1300 miles in a week. 60mph on the motorway......Tedious, I know.

50-60mph on reasonably flat roads with some very hilly bits.

I clocked 3 tankfulls......62mpg, 64mpg, 61mpg.

I used to drive rather quickly in my large cars & bikes but I drive the Aygo like a Nannan on

the Motorway. Constant 60mph on the inside lane is very relaxing after a bit. You don't have to think about overtaking tactics

apart from the occasional lorry. I think in a 305 mile journey, (M1, A1, A66, M6, M74, A74, M8) I passed about 10 slow vehicles maximum.

It can be done. Accept EITHER fun OR economy.

Filled up the neck & clicked off three times, 1st blob lasts about 137 miles. 2nd at 237 miles.

Ian.

(Hooning about on a Suzuki GT750 kettle some years ago, did a tankfull at 24mpg) Was a more memorable trip though!

1,4 diesel.

If I don't exceed the speed limits, around 70 mpg. The one time I drove it to the limit, across Spain, the consumption doubled.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links