Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Annoying Sound From The Rear End

GJump

Hello,

I am a new owner of a 2.2 D-4D 150hp Avensis Wagon. Year 2009, 83k miles on the clock.

I am experiencing an annoying sound, coming from the rear end of the car. It actually sounds like its coming from the trunk. I have removed everything from the trunk, but the knocking sound is still there.

It appears almost every time I drive over a bump on the road, even the smallest bumps and holes. I really love everything else on the car, but this persistent noise is driving me crazy :(

Did someone maybe experienced the same problem and can point me in some direction as to where the sound could be coming from and what could be done about it? It would be really appreciated..

Thanks.

Is the car still under warranty? If so, the dealer should be able to help you.

@timson, thanks for the suggestion. I'll check the heat shield tomorrow and get back with more info.

@Gooli, no, unfortenatly the car is out of the warranty - because of the mileage.

So I checked the heat shield and found out that the sound is not coming from there. The shield is not loose, it wont move even for a mm.

The sound must be coming from somewhere else, probably somewhere inside the car. In the roof maybe.. I recorded the sound today if anybody is willing to listen to it http://www.wikiupload.com/17X7VG4MSFAS939 You can here the cracking in the back. It's really loud, I can hear it even with the radio on.. You can imagine how frustrating can this be :(

Did anyone else had the same or similar problems?

Thank you.

aaaaaaaaaaaa its the rear anti roll bar D bushes try and get some car ramps and reverse the car up and get a lever and test for play near the D bushes the reason i say use ramps it its easyer to find the play when theirs load on the anti roll bar....found this fault a few times for customers

Hello

I have experienced lots of problems with noises from the rear of the car, I have the saloon, these cars are worst cars I have ever owned I am now on my second one after the dealer replaced it, and this one is the same !!!

My 2010 one spent 3 x weeks in a bodyshop having a new shelf welded into the car, after it was found to have spot welds broken ( very loud cracking ticking noise) it's a very long story.....

New door cards, rattles from headrest, Crome trims not fitted correctly as well...

My new one is now just starting to make the noise at 12k on the clock, and 2 wks ago the tensioner failed on the drive belt....

I am now taking legal advice to get out of the Toyota finance and get rid.....

• 4 months later...

Hi G, Sorry only just found your post. I have the same vehicle but 2010, after more problems than you can belive the Creaking/cracking/slapping noise if thats how you discribe it. which after 4 weeks in the body shop. Toyota I am told sent the information on the spot welds that needed to be repairied in the tailgate. Noise gone.

Pete.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links