Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.3 Mpg?

jonjosar

Ive noticed since the engine was replaced that my MPG reading has went well down. the engine was replaced in August and the car has done approx 7k since then.

With the old engine, i,d regularly see 45-46 on the consumption meter, its now showing 41.4 and it hasnt been much better, usually sits about 43 but never higher.

The car seems to run fine, if maybe a little down on power but that could be my imagination due to the reading on the dash. No warning lights etc. I,ve been trying to give the car the benefit of the doubt and a running in period but its definitely not getting any better

Hi JonJo......All I can say is that on a 45 mile trip to work which is all motorway or duel carriageway and keeping to 60-70 mph my 2.2 4D4 XT3 will return 55-60 MPG computer indicated, this is far superior to the 2Ltr 4D4 GX I had. Obviously a heavier right foot would reduce this figure... :)

Everybody's fuel consumption goes down at this time of year. They are effectively running with the choke out.

This is true,the fuel consumtion on my U/C drops from 58Mpg to just below 50Mpg, and I don,t drive it any way different. Basically like Anchs says down to cold starts.

Regards Clare

Ive noticed since the engine was replaced that my MPG reading has went well down. the engine was replaced in August and the car has done approx 7k since then.

With the old engine, i,d regularly see 45-46 on the consumption meter, its now showing 41.4 and it hasnt been much better, usually sits about 43 but never higher.

The car seems to run fine, if maybe a little down on power but that could be my imagination due to the reading on the dash. No warning lights etc. I,ve been trying to give the car the benefit of the doubt and a running in period but its definitely not getting any better

I have the same problem, before engine was replaced it used to run on 42MPG approx and now its hard to acieve 37MPG, when I complained with dealer he said till its on running in its normal to drop MPG. Now I've done approx 2K with the new engine and still can't see any difference :crybaby:

I have the same problem, before engine was replaced it used to run on 42MPG approx and now its hard to acieve 37MPG, when I complained with dealer he said till its on running in its normal to drop MPG. Now I've done approx 2K with the new engine and still can't see any difference :crybaby:

Mate a Diesel engine will not be run in in 2000 miles.. It will take more like 10,000 miles before its freed of properly.

As above its the cold start injector or enrichment devices that are working harder this time of the Year.. The Diesel engines take far longer to reach running temperature than a the petrol derivatives ...

Also at this time of year you will be consuming more fuel to power headlights, heater/aircon, wipers, de-misters etc.

I cannot quantify how much difference it makes, but it has to make some.

Phil

Mate a Diesel engine will not be run in in 2000 miles.. It will take more like 10,000 miles before its freed of properly.

As above its the cold start injector or enrichment devices that are working harder this time of the Year.. The Diesel engines take far longer to reach running temperature than a the petrol derivatives ...

So I have to wait for quite a long time then......for I do not use my Rav very often and only do 2K in a year :unsure:

In Malta the temperature can only go down to about 14 degC, so temp is not an issue I assume :g:

BTW HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL FRIENDS :cheers:

It's been pointed out before that the mpg reading is not spot on.

Don't assume the error is constant between actual consumption and indicated either.

My previous vehicle, the error got steadily worse, but the actual consumption (fill to fill calc) stayed roughly constant.

My previous vehicle read high, my present one reads low.

I'd do a few fill to fill calculations to see if it is really that bad.

Typical seasonal variation in fuel consumption can be seen in the graph in my sig.

Thanks for the replies peeps.

I do remember that the consumption went down this time last year but i put that down to the extreme cold we were all experiencing. As Anchorman says, the car does idle higher when the temp goes below 10 degrees so its fair to expect that it is in effect "running with the choke on".

I agree that the car will take a right few miles to run in. It will be due a service about March so unless something starts flashing on the dash, i,ll persevere and have it checked when its being serviced. In saying all of this, the car still doesnt seem to have the power of the original engine but i,ll see how it goes between now and the service.

On another point, i,ve just bought an 03 Yaris, 1000cc, "Colour collection" and i,m hoping that the better half might take a shine to it and leave the RAV under my care for more time.Time will tell.

On my number2 RAV (petrol turbo'd) it takes half a mile to get to working temp. On number 1, its less than that but then I need to warm the engine before launch!

On the various diesels we have in our fleet, it takes miles, and if only being used for local drops never warm up at all! Even the diesel generator takes about an hour to fully heat up and thats inside!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links