Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Pitch Noise

filcool

Im new to hybrids ,the auris being my first one,and the handbook does say that hybrids can have different and unusual noise,but one that ive heard im not sure if it should do or not.It was a passanger that heard it first but now theyve noticed i cant hear anything else now.

I had the radio off and with the car being so quiet in other ways you hear like a white noise high pitched piercing noise when im braking ,you even hear it if your sitting stationary and press the brake pedal to different pressures,its almost at dog frequency its so high pitched,not so load as you think this is broken but just that kind of noise that starts to ring in your ears.I know a relay clicks ever time you press the pedal but its nothing to do with that,just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts,i dont think its motor related either because it does it stationary.

thanks anyway,phil

Was also going to say that the noise is from inside the cabin,it sounds like from near or around the brake pedal area,but its not a squeeky pedal.

I know the noise you mean, but I just put it down to the hybrid electronics and turned on the radio...

Can't say that I notice it now so I guess after a year you get used to it.

Would be nice to here from somebody in the know what causes the noise.

Its not a squeak, more of a electronic whistle.

I know my Prius (and the previous gen 2) makes odd noises when I put it away in the garage, I put it down to the various shutdown procedures that the car goes through when you turn it off

loads of clicks and hums ....

??

Ive only had the car a few weeks so every noise or rattle im listening for at the minute i suppose,sounds like it might be normal though,but it is like an electronic whistle noise,ill just have to get the radio on now then to cover it up till i forget about it.

phil

Like you, I have a new Auris Hybrid, and it's my first hybrid. I think when you drive a new model and especially a new type of car you notice everything that's a bit different!

I've also noticed the high-pitched noise you mention, and assume it's something to do with the electric side of things - the tone of the noise seems to alter a bit depending on whether power is going into or out of the Battery. I'm sure one of the experts on here will know the proper reasoning behind it!

It may be that a lot of people just can't hear a noise with that frequency - it's just like the whistle of the old style (CRT?) TV's.

It's the inverter.

It seemed more noticeable to me when the car was new and now I hardly hear it. Apparantly some cars make more noise than others but unless it is loud and piercing that you can't hear anything else, then it's normal.

• 3 weeks later...

It's the inverter.

It seemed more noticeable to me when the car was new and now I hardly hear it. Apparantly some cars make more noise than others but unless it is loud and piercing that you can't hear anything else, then it's normal.

Two votes for the inverter.

You get various flavours of whistles with most kinds of charging gizmos - just checked my BlackBook charger and it's giving off a very quiet whine as I type. Cheers, Dave.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links