Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Juddering ?

tabz

hi .. this juddering is driving me barmy, when the engine is started and is cold its not there, it pulls off great, very nippy, no problems, but soon as the engine is up to temp the juddering kicks in and its awfull, the acceleration is just a looooong juddery nightmare.

ive done a service, ie .. new plugs, oil, oil filter, new K&N panel air filter, bought some MAF cleaner and cleaned the MAF, there was no kind of build up on the old plugs, there no signs of leaks anywhere inc underneath.

im just at a loss as what to do or try next, someone mentioned it could bet the cat on the exhaust, but its an expensive guess to get wrong,, help

thankyou

How many miles on the clock? I had a smilar problem with judder on my Polo. All okay when cold but as it warmed up the judder got worse. Turn out to be the clutch was on its last legs!...

How many miles on the clock? I had a smilar problem with judder on my Polo. All okay when cold but as it warmed up the judder got worse. Turn out to be the clutch was on its last legs!...

thanks for the reply, its just coming up to 80k

abs?! heard of this causing these types of problems... either that or warped discs these sounds like a good place to look at .. any lights on dash when it happens? what spped u doing is it consistent? when braking does it pull left or right? juddering wouldnt be a clutch starting to fail a clutch when failing just doesnt grip so you end up seeing high revs but little movement, did u say u loose power?

Where is the juddering coming from in terms of feel? Is it through the clutch pedal, the car or both?

It sounds to me as if it's the clutch, as mistermena said, when his Polo clutch was on the way out it juddered a bit, and seeing as he managed 212k on it's first clutch you could imagine the state it was in! :lol:

80K Is about right for a cars first clutch, in fact that was when my GTi Corolla had to have its first clutch done, except it had progressed beyond juddering and just span as if I'd poured Fairy Liquid into the bell housing.

Warped discs would be relative to vehicle speed, if the issue is more to do with finding the biting point and accelerating from it then it is the clutch not the discs. However, if you make a habit of braking hard downhill and then holding the car on the foot brake and not the handbrake then you may have warped the discs. This doesn't usually cause a judder though, more often than not it just rocks the car back and forth under braking as the pads grip and slip constantly.

The clutch is an expensive job to get a Mechanic to do in a garage as it is labour intensive and can be a fiddly bugger, but if you have a decent enough workshop then you can attempt this sort of thing yourself - just make sure you have a decent set of tools as well! ;)

KP

"Warpped" discs are not becuase the disc has physically warpped due to heat. It is because of uneven braking, which is either caused by sticking sliders/pins, uneven piston travel or the disc is not sitting 100% flat on the hub.

"Warpped" discs are not becuase the disc has physically warpped due to heat. It is because of uneven braking, which is either caused by sticking sliders/pins, uneven piston travel or the disc is not sitting 100% flat on the hub.

Warped discs are genuinely warped discs, hence why you need to perform surface checks - what you are mentioning is possible and can be mistaken for warped discs. What you're saying is what we refer to as a "sticky calliper".

Warped discs are genuinely warped discs, hence why you need to perform surface checks - what you are mentioning is possible and can be mistaken for warped discs. What you're saying is what we refer to as a "sticky calliper".

When I visited a Brake Pad & Brake Disc manufacturer (motorsport, normal cars, commercial, industrial & bikes) with work and I asked them about warpped discs, they told me there's no such thing. What they told me is what I listed above.

When I visited a Brake Pad & Brake Disc manufacturer (motorsport, normal cars, commercial, industrial & bikes) with work and I asked them about warpped discs, they told me there's no such thing. What they told me is what I listed above.

I'm sure that applies to their products then, I'm studying motorsport engineering at the moment and this is something we have discussed, hence why I'm sticking with it :P

my guess is also on the clutch. does it happen when you are in neutral or only when you are in gear, i.e accelarating?

cheers guys, the best way i can explain it is .. its sweet as a nut for the first 20 mins of starting from cold, after 20 mins or so, if i accelerate, a horrible juddering kicks in, as if its a fuel starved, it will shoot forward in bad juddery spurts and seems to take ages to build up speed, ive changed the plugs, air filter, oil and filter, cleaned the MAF but its made no difference at all .. thanks again

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links