Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

99 Corolla 1.6 Misfire

boristhemut

I wonder if anyone can offer any help.

I have recently acquired a 99 1.6. corolla, engine code 4A FE. I was given this car by a member of the family,

The car starts brilliantly and tickover is always smooth at around 650-700rpm once warm.

However, between 1400-1800 revs in all gears there is a violent judder. It is similar to a misfire, and is definitely engine related..

This happens on light /moderate throttle settings, if I accelerate hard it disappears.

It is alot more noticeable when warm, not so when cold, and different fuels don't appear to make a difference.

MPG is around 30 in town use, 38 on a run, so fine.

Could it be running too 'lean', or could there be something else?

I have changed the plugs and this made no differnece.

Inspection of the dizzy cap revealed the contacts to be OK, though covered in something similar to 'swarf'. I assume this was shards of the carbon contacts, is this normal?

The plug leads look OK, though its impossible from a visual to understand if they are working as they should.

I haven't spent any money on getting fault codes read etc so far, as the car isn't worth a lot.

Also, has anyone any service information regarding brake service, coolant change, gearbox oil for this model. It has drums on the back.

Many thanks in advance.

Dear All

Disappointed no one has been able to offer any advice on this one, any/all thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

It could be many things, but hard to say, I would get the HT leads checked under load, see if one is breaking down. After that I would check the fuel and fueling.

Hi!

Are U sure it is missfireing? It might be an engine mount gone bad. U should check em out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem. Same 4afe 1.6 engine, nearly runs perfect when cold but after warming up it takes full throttle to prevent stumbling. No fault codes appear,

Already checked spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and throttle position sensor

• 2 years later...

Sorry for dragging up an old topic.
But i'm experiencing the same at the moment,

Runs fine when Cold
No fault codes
but when accelerating it misfires once or twice, and shudders from 3-10 times and drives away fine after that

the Exhaust Gasket (below Handbrake)blew twice in the space of a few months too,
i'm beginning to wonder if its Timing related

Any help is Greatly appreciated, i cant afford a new engine :D :D :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links