Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Do U Think ?

faolteam

I was Driving my Toyota Avensis today its a 2000 Model 1.6 Petrol, Anyway i was driving along when suddenly it cut out in me, which i tried to start but with no luck at the same time i was on a hill so i let it roll down thinking the Battery might be the problem even though its only 3 months old,

Anyway as it free rolled down the hill i engaged 2nd Gear it did not make any difference it was not going to start ,

The car did try to turn over

I had to wait for a Tow Truck to come , when he did come he took a lot at the engine

he got me to turn the key and then told me to stop .

He said its your Timing Belt,

What do u think ??? Would my engine be F????D,

I still have to wait for my mechanic to look at it

How often do u have to change your Timing Belt ???

Most modern engines fail 'safe' when the timing belt goes and don't do any damage but you should prepare yourself for a big bill anyway. The belt is really cheap but there are a bunch of other components that may need changed at the same time - these are the ones that sieze and snap the belt. Things like the water pump and timing belt tensioner. See what your mechanic says but its not going to be cheap.

Most modern engines fail 'safe' when the timing belt goes and don't do any damage but you should prepare yourself for a big bill anyway. The belt is really cheap but there are a bunch of other components that may need changed at the same time - these are the ones that sieze and snap the belt. Things like the water pump and timing belt tensioner. See what your mechanic says but its not going to be cheap.

Thanks Druid Boy, do u think i would need an Engine

I guess your car is pre-vvti, as the vvti engines used a chain not a belt, so you should have the 4a-fe with it being a 1.6. That engine is non-interference as Druid Boy has said, I wouldn't like to say it will have definitely 100% survived, but I would say try fitting a new belt and see what happens.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links