Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drlights

tugboy123

Hi, can anyone help. I have just this week taken delivery of a new (from factory) Aygo ICE and no daytime running lights, i was led to believe that the ICE and FIRE both had DRLs and also that EU ruling states all new cars manufactured after 2011 had to have them fitted. ????

Sorry for your disappointment Dennis.

According to the sales brochure only the 'Fire' model has DRL's fitted, they are not fitted to the base, '+' and 'Ice' models. This is also true of Mr T's website, although curiously when you run through the exterior specification of the Aygo and look at the main features, it specifies the 'Ice' model has in addition to the 'Fire' some additional paint options so this could be construed as the 'Ice' having all the features of the 'Fire' (including the DRL's) but with added paint options. However the picture doesn't show DRL's on the 'Ice' and Tempest Black paint on the 'Ice' is available on the 'Fire' anyway.

As regards the EU legislation - and I'm not an expert by any means - I understood this to mean that all new types of passenger vehicles had to have DRL's fitted, as opposed to all new passenger vehicles. By that I read that if Toyota design a new type of car - the Toyota Splodge for example - then this must be fitted with DRL's in the design, but even if they had continued to make the Corolla until 2099 then it wouldn't need DRL's, under present legislation.

Hope that helps, Dennis :)

As has been said only the fire comes with DRL. The fire focuses on looks (alloys, tinted windows etc.) and the ice focuses more on comfort (air-con, bluetooth etc.)

Hi, can anyone help. I have just this week taken delivery of a new (from factory) Aygo ICE and no daytime running lights, i was led to believe that the ICE and FIRE both had DRLs and also that EU ruling states all new cars manufactured after 2011 had to have them fitted. ????

Yep, echoing the other guys, it's only the Fire that has DRLs.

They are only required to be standard on newly launched cars (i.e new tooling - which the Aygo isn't, as it's just a facelift). Sorry for your disappointment. However if it's any help, an aftermarket pair of DRLs will look more natural on the 2012 Aygo, so you can always recreate the look.

I've checked behind the bumper and can't see where the DRL's would terminate to the loom - if you have a 2012 model you will have the loom for the fogs tucked into the bumper ready for a retro fit.

What I need is someone with a Fire to tell me if they can see where the DRL's terminate to the loom and then we may be able to work a solution for non-DRL models.

Anyone thought about putting a set of non dealer DRL's in, say off eBay?

How would the wiring work, they would need to automatically switch off when sidelights come on?

How would the wiring work, they would need to automatically switch off when sidelights come on?

I think a relay and a diode in series between Ign and Sidelight wires, diode 'pointing' toward Sidelights will do it. Relay contact feeds DRLs.

When Ign is on and lights off the relay will energise with it's -ve going down the sidelight bulbs (very low current - they won't glow). When the ign and sides are on the volts on each side of the relay are the same, so it'll deenergise. When sides are on with ign off the diode blocks the flow, so relay stays off.

If you have very low current DRL units you could at a stretch possibly use the same arrangement without the relay and with the actual DRLs where the relay would be, but they'd have to be only about 5 Watts total as the sides are only about 20. But I'd expect any DRL kit to come with the relay or whatever anyway.

Thanks for the reply MikeSh, at least I'll know what to look for in the kit!

Has anyone out there purchased a kit, any recommendations?

MikeSh's solution seems a good one, though I have noticed one thing on my Aygo Fire - the DRL's only illuminate when the engine is running. Turning the key to the 'ign' position doesn't switch them on. Doing it this way on a DIY basis would be far more complicated but I just wonder if there's some small legality issue here, certainly from a manufacturer's point of view. However I doubt PC Plod would even be aware of it judging by the number of times I have been pulled over for having 'illegal' number plates, even though they are 100% legal! :rolleyes:

Hi,

Fitted the Lights to both thje MR2 and my old Honda Accord.

I suggest all you require is a relay with the additional centre pin, no diode required,.

If any one wants to take it further I'll throw up the wiring diagram. .

FYI there is an actual EU Directive on heights and distances from ground in relation to fitting. whither to stick to it or not is up to you.

I bought both sets on eBay, although IMHO the best ones are produced by RING but they are expensive for what they are.

I fitted them so that there light on the side lights and extinguish with the headlights.I attempted to make them as OEM as possible and suggest you pick your fitting spot wisely. I also would suggest that the ones you buy are as slim as possible so they don't stick out too far. They normally give the dims on eBay. Just watch some of the smaller lights don't give off as much light as you will want, bearing in mind you want to be seen in daylight so low power LED as not what the doctor ordered!

Hope this helps.

B

Been looking into this a little and found that the EU directive 76/756/EEC states "On vehicles equipped with DRL, the light is automatically switched on when the engine is started. When it is dark the driver has to switch on the driving lights manually. In this case the DRL goes off automatically." That's their bold type not mine ;)

So it would seem, as it is on the Aygo Fire, the DRL's only illuminate when the engine is started but extinguish when the sidelights and/or headlights are illuminated. If they are wired to the sidelight circuit there might be a chance (that I had several times when I added a pair of 'Crown' running lights to my old Corolla sidelight circuit) that you are stopped by PC Plod for investigation. I suppose it is akin to driving during the day or at dusk with fog lights on, which is illegal. PC Plod will become more aware of the law as there is an increase of DRL's retrospectively fitted to cars.

Wiring them to illuminate with the side lights looks great, but I think it's illegal... :o

Just my two-penneth worth :D

Hi,

Further to the last reply, I had to go to the MR2 to check my DRLs, as stated my light on the ignition and stay on with the side lights, only extinquish with the dips or main beam. I could have changed my circiut to only operate on ignition and off with sidelights (only one connection change at relay) as well as dips and heads but IMHO they should work with Ignition and sidelights.

FYI, you will also note that where DRLs are fitted near the flashers, the DRLs actually dim when the flashers are operated (ala Audi)

I will ask one on my neighbours with an 2012 car and confirm.

Regards,

B

This is an extract from a 2010 dft doc (at: http://assets.dft.go...ning-lights.pdf ).

My italics.

" DRL activate automatically when the engine is started and remain on unless

the headlamps are switched on. They may however remain off in some low

speed and stationary situations. In general all other lights should remain off

when the DRL are on but for a limited period some vehicles may be available

which automatically activate the rear position lamps at the same time as the

DRL.

DRL may be combined with other lamps. For example some manufacturers

use the same lamp for both the DRL and position lamp. In these cases the

DRL automatically dims to function as a lower intensity position lamp when

the headlamps are turned on. DRL placed close to direction indicators may

also automatically dim when the direction indicator is active. This is to ensure

that the direction indicator is not masked by the light from the DRL. "

Some weeks ago I found an actual 'legal' doc specifying the use of DRLs but I can't refind it now :(

In particular I think it disallowed combining DRLs with other lamps, which the above does not.

The doc above is also a little more vague.

Likewise, it took me an awfully long time to find something definitive about the configuration of DRL's and wading through the beurocratic jargon of the EEC website I did find something that stated DRL's are on until other lights are switched on - I suppose when you use your sidelights and tail lights then by definition it's not daylight.

I'm not commenting about retro- or user-fitted after market DRL's which can be wired up pretty much any way the installer wants them to be, but manufacturer installed DRL's do extinguish when the first stage of 'normal' lighting (sidelights etc) are illuminated.

Maybe the reason for this is that the DRL's tend to have a very vague lens arrangement, I parked up last night and as I was pulling up I turned all my lights off leaving only the DRL's and I illuminated the entire estate. I was expecting numerous bedroom windows to open and neighbours to shout at me to "put that light out!" in true Dad's Army style ;)

On the Fire, the DRL's are a heck of a lot brighter than the sidelights and having no directional lens I'm sure they could dazzle other road users in the half-lights (cyclists, pedestrians etc) that might not otherwise have a problem with sidelights or dipped headlights.

John,

You are correct, I checked on the Halford's website, it states that DRLs should switch off with sidelights, Dips and Heads. I may look at them switching off with the car's lighting ( I'll have to work out the wiring change, although my immediate thoughts are that it will be no big deal)

Regards,

B

Fitted a set of day time running lights to my wifes 58 plate aygo from Halfords the kit number is Ring Ursa BRL0401 which has 8 extra bright Leds . This kit contains a relay which puts the DRL on when normal driving but switches them off when parking or headlights are switched on, thus keeping to the legal requirements. Very easy to fit wires from LEDs go to relay black wire from relay to earth, ignition feed was easly picked up from reverse light switch wiring , hope this helps

I may look at them switching off with the car's lighting

I wouldn't bother.

1/ The document I linked/quoted above says retrofitted DRLs could be switched manually - just remember to turn them off when it gets dark!

2/ There seem to be conflicting advisements about whether it is side or head lights that should switch the DRLs off.

2/ AFAIK driving with sidelights only is not actually legal - you are required to use headlights in reduced visibility. So headlight operation seems more sensible to me.

4/ Sidelights are of almost no value for being seen, so using the heads to switch will avoid you accidentally driving without any hi-vis lights on.

For retrofitting it is easier to use the sidelight feed as this covers everything with one connection. Using the headlights means you have to cover dip and main which is a bit harder to achieve. This may be why retrofit kits use the sides as they are not legally binding, so to speak. Factory fits may use the headlights. (That is just an idea - could well be wrong.)

Further update,

As I previously mentioned, the DRLs should switch on with ignition (no problem) and switch off automatically with lights be it side, dips or heads. Thinking about it , all I would have to do is take the lead from the dips/heads that goes to the relay ( this cuts off the DRLs) and replace it with the a lead from the Sidelights ..(em, I think!)

Using the relay, theoretically the above should not be a problem..he says.

Regards,

B

has any one tried to fit the Fire drl to the ICE model

is the wiring loom the same on both models

Has anyone thought about putting 'Audi Style' DRL to the Aygo?

Can you separate the lens from the headlamp to instal?

...if so how?

Ta very much!

Has anyone thought about putting 'Audi Style' DRL's to the Aygo?

Can you separate the lens from the headlamp to instal?

...if so how?

Ta very much!

Hugo D'Aygo

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but this thread prompted a question on a more general point. According to posts here, there seems to be a view that there's a legal requirement that DRLs turn off when side or head lights are turned on. If that's the case, why do I see so many cars at night with both DRLs & headlights switched on ? These seem to be top-end Mercs, Audis, BMWs etc so I assume this is by design rather than a poor after-market installation. Just curious.

The legal jargon I've found so far indicate that DRL's should be off when side and headlights are on - by definition 'DAYLIGHT running lights' are not night time running lights; they are far too bright and don't give a directional angle of light. However, some models of vehicles can have DRL's fitted in place of marker lights (ie; sidelights) but they have to conform to certain other requirements such as dimming when indicators are used if they are too close to other lights in the same cluster.

It's entirely feasible that DRL's could still be illuminated at night on these top end vehicles if they have been fitted as marker lights, however I believe (though I don't know for a fact) that they will be running at a dimmed intensity to emulate sidelights, possibly plus a little 'extra' for effect. I don't think they will be operating at night at full 'daytime' intensity - the DRL's on my Fire illuminate entire streets, office blocks and aeroplanes if I use only them at night. OK, maybe not that bad, but you get the point ;)

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but this thread prompted a question on a more general point. According to posts here, there seems to be a view that there's a legal requirement that DRLs turn off when side or head lights are turned on. If that's the case, why do I see so many cars at night with both DRLs & headlights switched on ? These seem to be top-end Mercs, Audis, BMWs etc so I assume this is by design rather than a poor after-market installation. Just curious.

The 'Law' is that they go off or go dim when other lights are on. So as Johnny says they will almost certainly be dimmed.

Thanks folks. I understand now that some manufacturers are not fitting conventional sidelights any more, instead you get a single set of LEDs at the front that are either on full blast during the day as "daytime running lights", or at a lower intensity as "marker lights" (aka sidelights) when any other lights are selected. Makes sense I suppose.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links