Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1Zz-Fe Oil Change Owners Recomendations

fastbob72

Well,it's come to that time for me to change the oil on my 52 plate 1.8vvti Avensis.

An oil change when I bought it and having done 2500 miles/3 months it's time to change oil n filter.I've always kept to the 2500 mile/3 month with any low mileage engines or ones I've modified n tuned.

With oil issues that hang over these engines I thought I'd ask the opinion of others who have or had experience with these early vvti motors on what grade/brand of oil they found suited them.

I remember building a hot 2.0 16v XE for one of my Cavys and decided to only use Castrol Magnatec as it was meant to be the very best at the time but was surprised to find a significant amount of wear on the cam lobes after around 20,000 miles.

Other times I've used it (inline with the manufacturers recomended grade,viscosity,rating etc) I've found that it's not quite as good as some cheaper generic brands,in my experience at least.

So I was wondering before I go buying oil if anyone had experience and a preference for a particular oil whether it's Part Synth,Fully Synth,a specific brand perhaps.

Cheers,

Bob

To be honest, the quality brands are all much the same - even Halfords own which I put in my race bike. At the intervals you are changing the oil, there is probably very little difference between them - especially if you are using quality filters & I bet you are using top quality ones. Come to think of it, I could probably put your old oil in my car for another 7.5k miles no bother.

My 2nd and 3rd cars both died cos of oil.One with a conrod thru the block,the other siesed up solid so I learnt the importance of oil early.lol.

I'd agree about the likes of Halfords and the 'top' brands being much of a muchness particularly with regular and frequent changes but then I tend to work my engines quite hard.

Not until their properly warmed up and I'm not one for revving to 6000 in 3rd or that sort of thing but I do like to use the power it's got so pay attention to oil and cooling more.lol.

It's with this engine having a weakness in the lubrication system it's making me cautious.

Mind you,with Halfords doing their own oil for a tenner just now you can't go wrong !!!

If you're using Halfords oil in your race bike then their bike oils must be pretty good quality but you're right a top quality filter is only sensible.

The shallow/lower volume sump on these engines seems an obvious flaw makes you wonder why it wasn't picked up during the research and testing stage before going into production.

Maybe worth fitting an oil cooler,modifying the sump,fitting a good pressure gauge aswell before any other engine tweaks !!!

"The shallow/lower volume sump on these engines seems an obvious flaw makes you wonder why it wasn't picked up during the research and testing stage before going into production.

Maybe worth fitting an oil cooler,modifying the sump,fitting a good pressure gauge aswell before any other engine tweaks !"

Hello mate,

In case you weren't aware, when Toyota replaced these engines it came with a modified dipstick which meant that around another 1/2 litre of oil was in the sump so you are correct on that point.

Always been a fan of Mobil 1 5w 30 myself and the 0w 30 even better if you can get it,

I have always been a firm believer in keeping my engine oil level slightly above the mark as checked when cold before starting. Talking to a Honda Tech the other week and he reckons running their 2.2 diesel even between the full and low level over long periods can be fatal .... sounds like a oil cooler needed there then.

Regards Pete.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links