Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2011 Vs The 2012 Facelift - Differences

Chadwell

Hi - I've more or less decided on an Avensis as my new family car.

I have been looking at a year old face lift T4, march 2012 with 21k miles. It's a bit over my budget and so I have been looking at something a little older, around summer 2011.

I know this is the previous model, but I'm not sure what the difference is really - mostly cosmetic or significant improvements? Someone mentioned that the sat nav in the previous model is terrible compared to the new version, is this true?

The reason I ask is I can get the 2011 version for a couple of grand less, with the same miles. Though with 7/8 months less warranty.

Any comments on the differences? Note that these are all the 2.0 diesels. I'm not sure how best to make this decision but hopefully the comments will help.

Thanks

I'm looking to do the same, I think the newer model looks a lot better, has Led day lights, better suspension and the 2.0 engine is much better in that it's more economical and cheaper to tax.

The DRL only fitted to T-Spirit model I believe the rest of range use normal bulbs which look like side lights being on.

I have the 2010 T4 purchased from new and due to change in June so have been looking at new model and there are a huge amount of changes to engine, suspension and steering.

The satnav I have found to be superb although the interface software is a bit clunky.

The new t4 spec to my mind is not so good though as the earlier models.

Any info on the web with regards to the different models and when they changed in the past say 3 or so years?

I think the latest change was the end of 2011, any where you can compare the 2011 version and the 2012 version? I want to be able to justify 2 grand more money for a 8 month younger car with the same miles..

Not sure exactly when cars started showing up at dealers (I suspect December) but the facelift version was announced at a motorshow in September 2011.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/avensis/18535/toyota-avensis-20-d-4d may well be worth a read as it mentions quite a lot of changes.

If I was buying one I would probably be aiming for the facelift but yes, you will pay more for it (but it does have extra kit).

Thanks for the last reply - was helpful and it seems there are more than just cosmetic differences.

I am looking at a 2012 TR and a 2012 T4. The TR is June 2012 and 15k miles, the T4 is March 2012 and 21k miles. The T4 is £350 more expensive, but I'm thinking it is worth it for the extras, even though more miles and less warranty.

Thoughts?

Obviously only you know how important the extras will be for you.

How long are you planning to keep the car & how many miles per year do you think that you will be doing?

I'm planning to keep it 5+ years. By then I might need an MPV lol but I have just one 7 month year old atm, so looking a bigger family car with more boot space. Something reliable and economical.

I will be doing on average 15k miles a year.

Any thoughts on the looks differences between the TR and T4, the alloys looking better on the TR imho, how about the interiors?

OK, so you are planning to go out of warranty age-wise at least.

looking at the current spec. on Toyota .co.uk

the main exterior differences:

17" alloy wheels - I agree, I prefer the TR
Retractable door mirrors - nice to have
Smart Entry & Start system - quite happy with a key, sometimes simpler is better ;)

Don't think that you have mentioned colours & any preference?

interior differences:

Sable black leather/ Alcantara® seats - personally I prefer cloth but I seem to be in the minority

Rear and side sunshades (saloon) - nice to have
Rear leather armrest with storage compartment
Luggage partition net (tourer) - nice to have
Warm nickel and wood centre - I prefer the TR silver from the photo but I would want to see in real life
11 Speakers console - nice to have
Smart Entry & Start System - as above

see them in the metal & check previous owner/service record but it sounds like the T4 is worth the £345 extra in terms of kit & over 5+ years I wouldn't be concerned about a few months of warranty.

But ultimately it's your money & your choice. :hang:

True - I have been looking at photos of the T4 interior online, not sure about the wood effect myself - but I think its something you need to see in person. Hoping to do that this weekend. The car is white in colour, which I prefer on the whole..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links