Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 Rav 4 Auto......keeps Losing Power/speed Then Lurches On.

hartsongs

This doesn't happen all the time but it's becoming more frequent. It's as if the car just dies and then springs into life again. This is an automatic petrol model. I'm at a junction. I pull out and the car goes from 1st to 2nd gear...then immediately loses power as if I've applied the brakes. It shudders before lurching forward accompanied by an almighty clunk. No problems afterwards as the car goes through the gears into higher speed. So it wont happen if I'm going at a reasonable speed along the road or motorway. It's only when I've stopped and then move off again. Before i take it in, any ideas or has anyone had a similar experience?

ECU gubbed, Paul......do a search, some very recent, re auto box ECU recons.

• Like 1

Kevin

Thanks for your reply. It seems that this is a common problem. If its ECU, then it needs changing fast and it would appear Toyota aren't coming forward with free replacements as it's a faulty ECU. If the damage goes as far as the gearbox then it's a big and expensive repair job.

Better get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Paul

Where is the ECU located on my engine it is a RAV4 2003 DISEL WITH A MANUAL GEAR BOX;

• 1 month later...

Kevin

You were right on the money.

The ECU was removed and sent off for repair. It has been returned and re-installed and now the car runs better than ever.

The cost was about £200 but compared to a new gearbox etc so the cost is easily justified.

Quite peeved by the fact that the garage I took it to (40 years in business) didnt know what the problem was and could offer no help. I come home, looked on the internet and the problem/answer is revealed.

It just shows that these forums/clubs are fantastically powerful sites.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

Good result Paul.

Pity Toyota won't admit to this fault in the UK as they were forced to do in the US apparently.....................

Kevin

You were right on the money.

The ECU was removed and sent off for repair. It has been returned and re-installed and now the car runs better than ever.

The cost was about £200 but compared to a new gearbox etc so the cost is easily justified.

Quite peeved by the fact that the garage I took it to (40 years in business) didnt know what the problem was and could offer no help. I come home, looked on the internet and the problem/answer is revealed.

It just shows that these forums/clubs are fantastically powerful sites.

Cheers

Paul

Paul.....please edit start of your post....."you were right" should be in capitals, as it doesn't happen that often !!!!!! LOL.......

Stonking result.

Big Kev

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links