Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New On Here And Am After A Supra

L33 LEG

before i start im only 18! i am on my dads insurance and have been quoted by elephant on a non turbo supra mk4.

i am abit puzzled actually. is there only n/a and a TT mk4 available. also, is it only a auto n/a you can buy as a UK car. cos of course cos of my age i can only afford the non turbo supra, but i was lead to believe that u could get a manual without being an import as elephant had an option for this.

jst say for example, my quote is 1800 third party or 2300 fully comp, how much more would it likely be being an import, as elephant dont insure imports online?

thanks in advance.

They might not insure Imports at all. My winter car (Audi) is insured through Kwik-Fit. I tried their website for my Sera and ovbiously clicked on the box stating it was an import. I then got a message box up asking me to phone for a quote. I did this and was told that they don't insure imports, but as I was an existing customer they would see what they could do. Phoned me back about 4 hours later.

£1200 TPO ............for a SERA?????????

Needless to say I didn't take it. Ended up with Direct Line..... Fully Comp £320.

(sorry, but I know nothing about Supras, but I'm sure someone will be along soon.)

Rich

thanks anyway mate, i could alwasy jst ring them to see what they say, but also, elephant seem to have got all the supras mixed up.

Yeah I am with Direct Line with my MR2, when i was looking at supra MK4 N/A a few years ago they quoted me about 1200 fully comp. Having said that if your 18 it may be a bit more as i have a few years on you :D (I was about 25 at the time i think and i was looking at an L reg as i recall)

UK cars are only available as as a TT, all n/a are imports, and yes, most are auto but the auto box is a superb piece of kit, and in many ways is quicker than the manual.. but the auto/manual debate will never be settled. All i can say is try an auto before you dismiss it, it may suprise you.

i know what u sayin about try it b4 dismissing. but i honestly will not settle for an auto, jst takes the fun out of drving really.

i have emailed elephant asking about ther supra models as i am sure they are mixed up.

what price difference in insurance would u imagine from a MR2 n/a and a supra n/a but as an import?

does import always mean more expensive insurance.

I was 23 when i got my twin turbo import (24 now) and depending where you go it should only cost an extra £50-100 for an import on insurance so its def worthwhile as you will be waiting forever to find a uk car that has all the toys that jap ones come with (air con, traction control, climate control, electric seats, active spoiler etc etc).

On the auto box debate, i agree with you, theres nothing better than dropping down a gear and planting your right foot.

The strange thing is i ended up with an AUTO!!!! i have never owned an auto before in my life although i have driven them as co cars but the supra is no normal auto box, these babies come with overdrive plus a manual button so its exactly the same as driving a manual but without a clutch, and around town its great just put in drive and nothing to worry about.

Even using the full auto box, the kick down is instant, unlike other cars where to have to plant the throttle to the floor before it drops a gear, the supra feels like it gauges how hard you press the pedal and kicks down before your foot is even 3/4 way down, resulting in a much quicker box out on the road.

The box is only 0.2seconds slower than the manual 0-60, but as soon as you do the exhaust and filter it actuially becomes quicker than the 6 speed manual.

AUTOS? GIVE IT A GO, YOU'LL BE SURPRISED.......... :thumbsup:

cheers for the reply mate, ill keep looking around the insurance compnaies to see who'll insure me.

suppose i should test drive an auto before i completly rule it out :)

The box is only 0.2seconds slower than the manual 0-60, but as soon as you do the exhaust and filter it actuially becomes quicker than the 6 speed manual.

AUTOS? GIVE IT A GO, YOU'LL BE SURPRISED.......... :thumbsup:

Thats only with a pro driver at the wheel, I dont think I could operate a manual quicker than my auto changes.

Just put your foot down and use the hands for steering. Truly brilliant, and it does seem to judge when you are going for it. The Auto will do 140mph in 3rd so doesn't really need to change much.

As for insurance, you might find a TT will be cheaper, as they are more common. worth asking the question.

i know what u sayin about try it b4 dismissing. but i honestly will not settle for an auto, jst takes the fun out of drving really.

spoken like a true auto virgin. Everybody says what you said... until they buy one then they miracously change their minds.

An auto isnt simply press and go.. learn how to use it properly and its just as rewarding as a manual. The *only* time a manual is more fun is on the launch.

spoken like a true auto virgin. Everybody says what you said... until they buy one then they miracously change their minds.

depends on the auto... I used to truely hate autos... -but I'd learnt in one and drivena few. mercedes autos, pug autos, etc etc. only when I got the first soarer did I experiance a "proper" auto, -fantastic.

Even if you are a drifter you can hold them into gear (I leaft how to drift in an auto)

the soarer/supra/lexus autos are great... -its not suprising they outsold the manuals!!!!!!! esp in the stop start trafic of japan!!

AUTOS? GIVE IT A GO, YOU'LL BE SURPRISED..........

I have an a partially moddedfied Paseo and it is great as an auto.

I've always had manual cars all my life incl scoobies/cossies/tubby's etc etc, having owned a couple of UK Supra TT's (both Auto) i got to admit i was the same thinking an auto!! :blink: but after driving them :D :lol: :D

Rash.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links