Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Install A Display Button On The Wheel

michalmarcin

Hello,

I have a Corolla E15 Premium version from 2012 year for Polish market and I have volume, seek and mode buttons on the wheel to control radio but there is lack of display button to control and switch functions of computer like temperature, fuel consumption, average speed etc. I know that other version of Corolla has that button on the wheel that's why I would like to instal it too. I have bought the same used wheel from Auris with display button and I would like to add this button but after connection it doesn't work. I have already installed cruise control and it works perfectly so I fought that it would be plug'n play too but probably it needs some additional modification, connections or some change for computer software to recognize additional function button.

There is similar topic in Auris forum
http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/123619-install-a-disp-button-on-the-wheel/

but there is no answer for that.

So maybe someone know's how to install additional display button on the wheel ?

Rgds

The Corolla saloon hasn't been sold in the UK since 2007 - effectively being replaced by the Auris hatchback. Saloon versions of cars generally do not sell as well as their hatchback equivalents in the UK (a different scenario to the majority of Europe), and presumably because of the potential low sales volume, Toyota decided not to bring the Corolla saloon onto the UK market.

I would imagine that responses to this may be limited, unless someone from Ireland (where the Corolla continues to be sold in addition to the Auris) can comment.

Thank's, I didn't check that there is no Corolla on UK market, but most of the spare parts and solutions are the same in Corolla and Auris so there should be easy way to activate this display button similar to cruise control I think. The top version of Corolla Prestige has it so I think that electrical instalation is the same and Auris has it too and has the same wheel, the same counters, same computer etc.

Facelift Corolla and Auris have another steering wheel and clocks wiring (clocks have an extra wire for external DISP button), so it's not enough to change steering wheel only in order to make all it's buttons work.

Corolla (sedan) and Auris (hatchback) have indeed same platform: engines, gear boxes, wiring, etc.

Thank's Tavy. I have checked on toyodiy and it looks that steering wheel spiral cable is exactly the same part no. 84306 (Corolla http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2011_TOYOTA_COROLLA_ZRE151L-DEFNPW_8401.19.html & Auris http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2011_TOYOTA_AURIS_ZRE151L-AHFDKW_8401.16.html?hl=84306) but I have the problem to identify this different wiring for clocks. If you could tell me which part it could be and if it's enough to replace it than it would be great.

Thank's

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply; spiral cable is same, it's the same as Auris, Rav4, etc., but wiring is different; so, you have to put another wire to make this external button work.

First, identify "DISP" button wire, and which is correspondent pin, backside of spiral cable, and connect it with the wire that is coming from clocks; this wire you have to put it. It's not so complicated; take the clocks out from dash, remove the clocks backside cover, then remove the glass, remove both LCD displays (each of them is fixed with 2 screws) and take the needles out, slowly rotate anticlockwise and pull out in same time. Finally, remove the dial and now you can see the contacts for both buttons, DISP and ODO. Now you easily see where an external DISP button wire can be soldered; put anything back and attach a new pair of connectors at the other end of this wire; from this connector route another wire to that backside spiral cable pin.

I fitted an external DISP button in my Auris in this way :
p95f.jpg

So as it appears, it's not just a plug&play option. It needs some skills and some instruments. It's good to know that is possible, even if not so easy for a regular "user".

Thank you Tavy.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links