Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Warranty Co Rejects Claim For Stretched Bore Cylinders

Basil Brush

Hi Folks

I have an Aygo from new and have done 115,000 miles with FTSH and recently after a service my oil light came on after 900 miles so Toyota checked levels and topped up and asked me to come back after 1,000 miles and found out using 2 litres so they advised it was covered under warranty (a Toyota Manufacturers Warranty) as I had taken the extended warranty every two years as car is 6 and a half years old with unlimited mileage warranty. The Toyota Warranty person took 3 weeks to visit showroom and turned the claim down stating wear and tear. The garage states it isnt as it looks like the oil is being lost via stretched Bore Cylinders and they believe it to be covered. Warranty company says no and Toyota want £1,500 to fix or £600 to put engine back together after stripping it at a cost of £600 with no repair having taken place. I have complained to Toyota GB who are looking into it and so far after a week Toyota Warranty company havent called me back as pormised and the garage has told Toyota GB it should be covered and they are liasing with Toyota Warranty Company who havent called me back or given me anything in writing and they said they spoke to Toyota GB and Toyota GB said they hadnt. Has anyone got any advise they can give me or had a similar issue???

Thanks

Steve

Hello steve, welcome to the TOC site, This is a paragraph from toytota's website...

" The latest scheme means any parts covered under the terms of the warranty that fail will be fixed free of charge, using only original equipment manufacturer items and by an official Toyota Service Centre. There will be no charge to customers for parts or labour. "

Having had Toyota extended warranties myself in the past, I feel your claim will be rejected on the grounds that the component has not "failed " it has just worn out due to mileage.

Toyota do not cover wear & tear and wear in the cylinder bore is just that.

Your other options are to p/x the vehicle in at a dealer for a new or used car, the oil consumption will not show up on a road test with the salesman and you may get a got price against a new Aygo :)

Bob.

Hi Bob. Many thanks for your reply. I paid extra for an extended unlimited mileage warranty and I feel it is a cope out as the garage

Itself thinks it should be covered however the warranty engineer says no. I am awaiting a call back from TGB. What ago colour and options would you go for if going for a new one. Cheers Steve

The bucks stop with TGB not the dealer, I would be very surprised if they give you a new engine block. If it all goes belly up and the car still drives nice, p/x it in at other Toyota dealer.

what vehicle you get is your choice but if it was me , 1 to 2 year old so the biggest deprecation has happened, try get one with air/con as its something you've use to having the sport.

I also have the sport in MMT, I sometime look at the new Aygo's but they never look as good or have the same spec as the sport model.

As to colour I love the burnt orange shade :)

Hi

Toyota garage will charge £600 to put it back broken ? Would I be cheaper buying an engine.

Cheers

Steve

Many engines on eBay from £350 to 600ish plus fitting at an independent garage local to you, well unless you could do it yourself, I real rough guess would be £500 to fit the engine, would a £1000 or less be money well spent, to get your car back on the road ?

I was in the same boat as you, but my Aygo had only done 50,000 miles. Toyota warranty paid out to get the engine sorted. This surprises me as having a Toyota warranty has in my eyes been well worth the cost of extending passed the original 3 years (the car is now 7 year old)

Thanks for the link. The car has real sentimental value to me as it is the only car I have kept for more than 2 years (almost 7 years now) as I have owend around 45 cars since 17 years old which was some 31 years ago and have never kept a car for more than 2 years and most 1 year as I get fed up and buy another (second hand ofcourse) so that tells a story!

The £1,500 quoted was dropping in a new clutch as well which seemed a good idea. I am going to find out today and make a decision. Toyota gave me a Yaris to run about in and its a nice car but I can't betray my love of the Aygo.

A quick look on Autotrader suggests the car (working) would be worth £2-2.5k, so spending £1500 seems a bit OTT. OTOH scrapping it looks like a £1k loss. :bored:

eBay engine sounds like a solution, but it would depend how much it cost to get it fitted. And of course you won't know the history of that engine unless it's a proper recon job.

Hi

Toyota garage will charge £600 to put it back broken ? Would I be cheaper buying an engine.

Cheers

Steve

try these its worth a phone call
the front wings have been sold so it hasn't had a front end shunt

2006 Toyota Aygo BLACK VVT-I

BreakerImage_873efbbb-3098-43d3-aa65-f3a

popup-tel.png01489 772233

2006 Toyota Aygo BLACK VVT-I Engine Fuel Injection 998cc Petrol Gearbox 5 Speed Manual Body 5 door(s) Black Hatchback Ref no. 250161

Could be a bit cheeky but ask the dealer if they will fit an engine supplied by you, yes there is no warrenty but you now that, to blow £600 putting a worn engine back together makes no economic sense.

Let's face it with the cylinder head off, they only have half and engine to take out, see what they say and make a big thing about how disappointed you are with Toyota and the warrenty and you want them to show good will and flexibility to fit a used engine.

Another engine option....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-107-2012-ENGINE-/141037912257?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3APeugeot%7CModel%3A107&hash=item20d683c0c1

Thanks for the input guys. I have rolled over on this one and instructed them to rebuild the engine with all new parts and pop in a clutch which they have agreed to do for £1,500 all in. It is not ideal but I need my car for my work travel to and from. The car has sentimental value and I plan to keep her for ever.

I will never trust any car warranty again!!! Watch out if your car is over 100,000 miles as this wear and tear excuse I fear will be heavily used in the near future by Toyota and possibly more manufacturers. I hope she drives better with better mpg. The rust is the next challenge as I am planning to respray her the same red but adding a little sparkle but not too much. Thanks again for posting as it helps.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links