Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2Ad Engine Warranty - Is Your Engine Effected?

anchorman

THIS IS JUST A REMINDER TO ANY OWNERS OF VEHICLES FITTED WITH A 2.0 OR 2.2 LITRE 2AD ENGINE THAT IS USING OIL OR COOLANT.

TOYOTA HAVE VERY GENEROUSLY EXTENDED THE WARRANTY TO 7 YEARS OR 112,000 MILES AND WILL FIT A NEW (3/4) ENGINE AT NO COST TO THE OWNER IF IT USES OIL OR COOLANT. IF YOUR CAR IS AFFECTED BY ANY OF THESE ISSUES YOU HAVE 7 YEARS OR 112,000 MILES FROM THE DATE OF REGISTRATION IN WHICH TO GET IT FIXED - NOT ONE DAY OR ONE MILE MORE.

YOU ONLY NEED TO CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ADVICE;

THE CAR NEEDS TO HAVE BEEN SERVICED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SCHEDULE. IN GENERAL THAT NEEDS TO BE EVERY 12 MONTHS OR 10,000 MILES. IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE AT A TOYOTA DEALER (BETTER IF IT IS AS THE RECORDS ARE KEPT INTERNALLY) BUT YOU WILL NEED EVIDENCE SO KEEP EVERYTHING.

ENSURE GOOD QUALITY OIL IS USED AND ENGINES WITH THE D-CAT SYSTEM ARE BEST FILLED WITH A FULLY SYNTHETIC LOW ASH OIL WITH AT LEAST A C2 RATING OR BETTER STILL "ESP" WHICH IS FOR PARTICULATE FILTERS.

FUEL FILTERS ARE BEST CHANGED EVERY 2 YEARS AND AVOID THE USE OF SUPERMARKET FUEL AS IT CAN LEAD TO PROBLEMS WITH INJECTORS, EGR AND DNPR (PARTICULATE FILTERS).

IF YOU SUFFER FROM FUEL/INJECTOR RELATED PROBLEMS THEN CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER AS IT CURES 90% OR MORE OF PROBLEMS. THIS SAVES TIME, FRUSTRATION AND MONEY.

IF YOU FAIL TO TAKE HEED OF THIS ADVICE YOU RUN THE RISK OF BEING FACED WITH A LARGE BILL. IF YOUR CAR IS OUTSIDE THE WARRANTY PERIOD AND RUNNING FINE THEN DON'T WORRY, JUST FOLLOW THE SERVICING GUIDELINES ABOVE AND ENJOY YOUR VEHICLE.

• Like 2

Good post Don.

Making the whole engine warranty issue crystal clear.

Unlucky for those like myself with a low mileage but out of the time period,but I suppose there has to be a cut off point.

A post worth pinning imo

I've unpinned this for a while as it was lost right at the top of the page. I will pin it at a later date.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

Would the mileage clause still apply to my 2009 Rav 2.2 , as it's only done 76k ?

Thanks

32 minutes ago, simonwill69 said:

Would the mileage clause still apply to my 2009 Rav 2.2 , as it's only done 76k ?

Thanks

You're fine on mileage - unfortunately the 7 year condition expired for you in 2016 ...

34 minutes ago, simonwill69 said:

The warranty limit was 7 years or 112,000 miles, whichever occurred first.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond, not sure where to go from here.....I read somewhere it can cost up to £4500 to get fixed😢

On 8/20/2013 at 10:17 AM, anchorman said:

AVOID THE USE OF SUPERMARKET FUEL

Where did this advice originate from?  In my handbook it says to use fuel that meets standard EN228 and supermarket fuel in the UK does meet the standard.

27 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

Where did this advice originate from?  In my handbook it says to use fuel that meets standard EN228 and supermarket fuel in the UK does meet the standard.

The advice originated from Don and others struggling to give sound advice to folk suffering from, or who might suffer from, the very specific issue referred to in this thread. I'd argue that it is not quite correct - it would be better to say "use premium quality diesel with clean burn additives and cetane enhancers".

But since you have a "Toyota Model: Corolla Hatch Design 1.8 Hybrid; Toyota Year: 2020" the issue does not apply to you, and you should generally avoid diesel and instead use fuel as recommended in your handbook

58 minutes ago, simonwill69 said:

Many thanks for taking the time to respond, not sure where to go from here.....I read somewhere it can cost up to £4500 to get fixed😢

I suggest that you open a thread of your own in which you detail the specific issue(s) that you are seeking to address. Folk can then give 'sensible' advice such as it is ...

Ah thankyou for this advice, I’ve just bought a 2007 rav4 2.2 D4D with that 2ad engine. It has some service history and no mention of any issues. It’s covered just 83k miles and runs fine. I will use your information to hopefully keep it in good fettle. Actually thought I was buying an indestructible Toyota that would be reliable. Silly me!😟

30 minutes ago, Bob Rayner said:

Actually thought I was buying an indestructible Toyota that would be reliable. Silly me!

Then again Toyota did extend the warranty to 7 years/111,800 miles with few conditions, and installed new 3/4 engines on affected vehicles. Presumably your car has run for 14-15 years before having the issue, so hasn't done badly.

Don’t think Bobs RAV has the issue.

When I had my 4.3 had 2 new engines just over a year apart. First when RAV was 3 years old. Funny how not all cars developed the problem assuming Bobs engine has not been fixed previously.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links