Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Scratch On New Rav4 (Black)

gpduffy

worst nightmare -- scratch which can been seen on the boot of the new rav4 -- gutted. think i parked too close to some trees ...

i can feel it slightly with my nails -- do you think i should take it back to the dealer (not for respray) but for repair of some type OR try a product this this below -- it as great reviews ... though would it cure this scratch

any help appreciated!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004RAXVRS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post-8364-0-02570300-1378210506_thumb.jp

post-8364-0-04417700-1378210543_thumb.jp

I suspect that will buff out but difficult to tell without seeing it directly. Would be worth checking with a local bodyshop or two for an opinion.

The stuff you have linked to looks like a 'filler' type wax to me. Worth reading the reviews - especially the one where it says it covered a scratch that was down to the metal :lol2:

• Like 1

If you can just only feel it with your nails, machine polisher with a cutting pad would take that out.

• Like 1

Make sure the machine polisher is in experienced and delicate hands ! Modern water based paint finishes are incredibly thin, the Japanese are particularly guilty of micro thin paint finishes ! I hope you have some success, it's frustrating scratching any car, particularly a new one.

Looking at the pictures especially picture one you can clearly see what we call orange peel.. This is the effect you get when the lacquer is sat thickly over the base coat.. This is very good news as its a clear indicator you have a decent amount of material to work with.. I could polish that out in a few minutes without any issues at all.. Take a look at the pinned thread on machine polishing and let us know how you feel about having a go yourself ? We are always happy to help.. But if you don't fancy doing it yourself there is no point in me/us rambling on.. Trust me though that is an easy fix that a qualified detailer should charge no more than a few quid to sort...

Paul is correct.. Japanese paint is both thin and soft so care is needed.. This also means correction is a piece of cake again because the paint will be soft.. Typically Toyota paint will be 6 to 8 microns thick with 4 to 5 of these being lacquer which is the bit we polish.....

Dont use G3... It is a decent product but not in inexperienced hands.. It can cut fast and is a product that needs much lubrication which again is best for those who have at least some experience.. A medium cut polish is what is needed or even a light cut..

• Like 1

Hmm, back to the dealer - only option IMHuO

Imagine in the future - a problem with the paintwork - "Oh says Mr T, you've had work done - warranty void, sorry"

Hmm, back to the dealer - only option IMHuO

Imagine in the future - a problem with the paintwork - "Oh says Mr T, you've had work done - warranty void, sorry"

I have a tenth of Charlie's experience and could remove those scratches, and totally conversely, the dealer would only know that section had been done as it would be devoid of most of the orange peel Charlie has pointed out !!!!

Agreed......back to the dealer......."what the blazes is this orange peel effect all aboot on a new car.....?"

• Like 1

Orange peel is very very often found on new cars.. Fords have this a lot.. A real lot....

I once flatted a complete Aston Martin that had come from the factory with heavy Orange peel and the owner being an extremely fussy guy said quite simply he could not live with it !

It took 3 weekends flatting the car with 3500 grit wet and dry Meguires Unigrit paper.. I kid you not within hours of starting the job I was looking for a short rope and a high rafter !

This was one job I would never undertake again.. The flatting and polishing of the car took in total 70 to 80 hours and was very nerve racking and painstaking to say the least...... Never again would I remove Orange peel from a complete car..

But I learnt a lot from doing that job. Sadly all pictures were lost on a PC meltdown along with hundreds of pictures of various cars..

But back on topic Orange peel is a result of heavily applied lacquer. This is to some not a nice finish I neither like nor dislike it. It does however fill me with joy if I get a car to correct as I know how aggressively I can be with the polishing machine..

It is unusual to see Orange peel on aftermarket paint like repainted areas and if you look at a car that has orange peel all over it except say the bonnet its a certain bet that that area has been re painted...

Another quite useless scrap of information from ole Charlie...............

Cars get scratched unfortunately, had a couple of nasty ones myself. But few of us can afford to get every scratch that comes along "professionally" fixed.

Have a go yerself!

With the right tools/gear/advice you should be able to manage it.

If I were you, I'd throw yourself on Charlie's mercy and follow his advice, I don't think you'll go far wrong!

Dave

worst nightmare -- scratch which can been seen on the boot of the new rav4 -- gutted. think i parked too close to some trees ...

i can feel it slightly with my nails -- do you think i should take it back to the dealer (not for respray) but for repair of some type OR try a product this this below -- it as great reviews ... though would it cure this scratch

any help appreciated!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004RAXVRS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Where do you live.....? So many folk on here obviously scared I will burgle their hoose, so do not give their place of residence

Great advice for every1, especially Charlie. I won't use the G3 as indeed I'm inexperienced!

Called Mr T and they offered to buff it / machine fix it tomorrow evening free of charge .. great service .. i'll post an update tomorrow night ... fingers crossed!!

When you say new car do you mean brand new ? Cos if it is we can help with advice on good washing techniques as you seem to have apart from that scratch quite some amount of swirling ? Black is a colour that shows every mark due to its reflect-ability.. ..

Is it possible that scratch was inflicted with a sponge full of something or other ?

Great advice for every1, especially Charlie. I won't use the G3 as indeed I'm inexperienced!

Called Mr T and they offered to buff it / machine fix it tomorrow evening free of charge .. great service .. i'll post an update tomorrow night ... fingers crossed!!

Great news.......I can stop driving aboot looking for yer car with ma wee polishing machine in the boot........England is such a big place....

Good news - scratch 'repaired' quite difficult to see, unless looking close. Its visible in direct sunlight though, would there be ANY point in using the Farecla? The dealer simply machine buffed it.

I'm based in N Ireland :p

post-8364-0-11022200-1378325648_thumb.jp

Good news - scratch 'repaired' quite difficult to see, unless looking close. Its visible in direct sunlight though, would there be ANY point in using the Farecla? The dealer simply machine buffed it.

I'm based in N Ireland :p

Will be in Bangor shortly.....should ah bring machine.......Lol.?

Can't see the pictures properly as I'm on my phone... So are you saying you can still see the scratch ..

A dealers valeter will almost certainly not gave a PTG or paint thickness gauge with which to measure the amount if lacquer being removed when polishing..

Without this its pure guess work so a good outcome is unlikely.. Unless if course the polisher is brave.... Or lucky .

With a PTG that scratch could be totally eliminated !!

G3 as above is simply not the way forward. In inexperienced hands you could easily polish through the lacquer which is what we call striking through. If this were to happen the area would need to be re sprayed...

• Like 1

Can't see the pictures properly as I'm on my phone... So are you saying you can still see the scratch ..

A dealers valeter will almost certainly not gave a PTG or paint thickness gauge with which to measure the amount if lacquer being removed when polishing..

Without this its pure guess work so a good outcome is unlikely.. Unless if course the polisher is brave.... Or lucky .

G3 as above is simply not the way forward. In inexperienced hands you could easily polish through the lacquer which is what we call striking through. If this were to happen the area would need to be re sprayed...

We seem to have a photo of our Irish mucker's driveway, Charlie.....seems a bit drained by it all......?
  • Like 1

We seem to have a photo of our Irish mucker's driveway, Charlie.....seems a bit drained by it all......?
Looks like Dalis sister piece to the melting Clocks..... The draining driveway :)

Vey hard to tell about the paint surface when the reflection is of such a random background?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links