Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq On The News

Phatjellybelly

On the news last night it was said the Toyota IQ was the car most likely to pass its first mot test at 3 years old, can't remember the least but I think it was a French car.

Regards.

Fantastic, the iQ has come out better than my lift shares Merc that cost twice as much :)

Looking at the statistical methodology is interesting (Ian puts nerd hat on :euro: ).

So, like some other models, there aren't really enough iQs measured (<3000) compared to some of the others in the "top 10" to warrant the accolade and for the stats to be meaningful IMHO. But then if you look at the measurement for top 10 manufacturers (rather than specific model), Toyota is in the top 4. But applying the weighting of numbers tested, there are far more Toyotas tested (>54000) than any other manufacturer apart from Audi (>57000), with the nearest being Honda and Mercedes (at around 38000 tested).

So for me, I'm much more impressed with the analysis by manufacturer than by model

So overall, I'm pretty pleased with having an iQ AND a Toyota

Re This survey

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2432990/Top-best-models-passing-MOT-years-purchase.html

I would expect all cars to at least pass the first MOT without any problems at all assuming normal use etc,, however perhaps the MOT test is more critical now and perhaps many cars are not manufactured to last ?

Not sure which is more applicable or just both ?

Yes this was on last night's Watchdog (which I only saw by accident as I don't usually watch it)

Mine passed it's first MOT no worries but you'd be surprised how many fail Bob.

Unfortunately a lot of people are incapable of checking their tyres, light bulbs, headlight aim, Brake condition Etc. and just carry on driving oblivious, Seen it loads of times on cars only 2 or 3 years old.

Personally I think the MOT should apply every year from new but I guess VOSA are assuming that all new cars will be serviced for at least the first 3 years so any faults will be picked up then?

Craig.

Along with the planned UK MOT changes of 2012 & 2013 that were to stop After Market HID's that are not as Type Approved,

and a few other things that were dropped.

The EU wanted the UK to be first MOT at 4 years & then 2 yearly,

The thing that stopped that happening was how may cars fail their first MOT in the UK @ 3 years.

So that is down to Bad car maintenance & poor servicing and also lack of care taken by owners.

Calling it 'Servicing', at garages when its often Oil/filter changes and fluid check,

or Inspection services in between also with an Oil and Filter change.

(Thats not proper servicing, thats Oil changes and a look see.)

So the other reason the UK could not have cars first inspected properly at 4 years is just UK Potholes and governments pathetic Road Care & concerns over Road users safety.

They take the VED and fuel Duty and do not spend enough on road repairs.

george

Sometimes I wonder if I have "lost the plot" when reading this forum, I have never had a car fail an MOT in the last 40+ years ! and thats a lot of MOT's and a lot different types of cars and millions of miles.

It includes quite a range of "old bangers" so to speak that my wife has owned as a second runabout car not just my expensive ones.

Most of the MOT stuff you can check out yourself in advance of any MOT, so a well maintained and well looked after car that is regularly checked should "ALMOST" never fail any MOT in my view.

Perhaps a few people need some basic lessons on how to look after a car ?

Perhaps they should teach this skill of how to look after a car at school ? It is a basic "Life Skill" in my view.

I've never had an MOT fail either but I'm a design engineer with an interest in all things mechanical and have even built my own car in the past. Checking simple things for an MOT is child's play for me but there are people who simply don't know how to do the simplest tasks like check tyre pressures.

Not sure you can teach it either if the person isn't interested, They tried to teach me French in school but it didn't interest me so I never paid much attention and now can't remember any of it.

Different people, different priorities. :)

Craig.

I've never had an MOT fail either but I'm a design engineer with an interest in all things mechanical and have even built my own car in the past. Checking simple things for an MOT is child's play for me but there are people who simply don't know how to do the simplest tasks like check tyre pressures.

Not sure you can teach it either if the person isn't interested, They tried to teach me French in school but it didn't interest me so I never paid much attention and now can't remember any of it.

Different people, different priorities. :)

Craig.

Hi Craig, I agree with your above comments, however if Life Skills were are a pre requisite to getting any other qualification and taught at school from an very early age then things might change. The current education systems just teach people to get a "Job" which stands for "Just Over Broke" then you can feed the government and of course the 5% of the worlds population that have all the money.

However as you say you cannot teach people who don't want to be taught, then you have to encourage the student to wish to become ready because "when the student is ready the teacher will appear" !

There's also a purely practical side to getting failed on an MOT if you're unsure of what work needs to be done, i.e. for old cars as an information fact-finder.

And apart from the basic MOT maintenance to do with lights, wipers, tyres etc there's not much else we can do with the other stuff these days given DIY-prohibitive technical designs and our throwaway consumerist culture. I mean the auto gearbox on my Citroen is starting to go and that's a "lifetime sealed" item. We're not meant to touch it. But after only 65k, there's no point replacing it when it's going to cost more than twice the value of the car. Pathetic but true.

Goes back to my other observation: get a fairly minor shunt in a fairly new iQ where airbags have been activated, and you could still end up with it written off. Get a major "unserviceable" part go after the warranty expires, and often the replacement costs outweigh the overall value.

So for me, it's often the built-in obsolescence and obstacles of industry that reduce any incentive to do the things I used to find interesting and worthwhile rather than any laziness or reticence through lack of knowledge. So, apart from keeping a car legal and making sure the oil levels are regularly checked, I get the servicing done by a garage in order to maintain the warranty in case a a big warranty part goes.

Very true.

My IQs MOT will be next summer and looking at the rear discs there is a definite "lip" on both (the fronts are fine) which will only get worse as time goes on so I will probably fit a new pair of discs of hopefully better quality, and pads of course, in time for bedding in before the test.

They may not cause a fail if they are not below the service limit, but Mr T may issue an advisory and offer to fit replacements at enormous cost, which I would like to avoid.

Gives me a chance to get in amongst the linkages etc and give it all a good clean up and lub. and if I do it when I take the winter wheels off it will get two jobs done at once.

One disadvantage of rear discs!

John

(As a retired teacher of Mechanical Engineering don't get me started on "education"....!)

There's also a purely practical side to getting failed on an MOT if you're unsure of what work needs to be done, i.e. for old cars as an information fact-finder.

And apart from the basic MOT maintenance to do with lights, wipers, tyres etc there's not much else we can do with the other stuff these days given DIY-prohibitive technical designs and our throwaway consumerist culture. I mean the auto gearbox on my Citroen is starting to go and that's a "lifetime sealed" item. We're not meant to touch it. But after only 65k, there's no point replacing it when it's going to cost more than twice the value of the car. Pathetic but true.

Goes back to my other observation: get a fairly minor shunt in a fairly new iQ where airbags have been activated, and you could still end up with it written off. Get a major "unserviceable" part go after the warranty expires, and often the replacement costs outweigh the overall value.

So for me, it's often the built-in obsolescence and obstacles of industry that reduce any incentive to do the things I used to find interesting and worthwhile rather than any laziness or reticence through lack of knowledge. So, apart from keeping a car legal and making sure the oil levels are regularly checked, I get the servicing done by a garage in order to maintain the warranty in case a a big warranty part goes.

I agree with you Ian on your above post and throwaway consumerist culture ! They don't make things to last anymore so you have to keep spending on more new !

Very true.

My IQs MOT will be next summer and looking at the rear discs there is a definite "lip" on both (the fronts are fine) which will only get worse as time goes on so I will probably fit a new pair of discs of hopefully better quality, and pads of course, in time for bedding in before the test.

They may not cause a fail if they are not below the service limit, but Mr T may issue an advisory and offer to fit replacements at enormous cost, which I would like to avoid.

Gives me a chance to get in amongst the linkages etc and give it all a good clean up and lub. and if I do it when I take the winter wheels off it will get two jobs done at once.

One disadvantage of rear discs!

John

(As a retired teacher of Mechanical Engineering don't get me started on "education"....!)

Go on Johnan have your say re "education" it might make you feel better ! it worked for me !

This isn't the place for a diatribe on the state of "education" which is just as well because I am trying had to forget all about it and the depths to which the system had plumbed just before I left it.

Lets just keep nattering about our beloved little beasties (IQs) and not get into the realms of depression!

John

This isn't the place for a diatribe on the state of "education" which is just as well because I am trying had to forget all about it and the depths to which the system had plumbed just before I left it.

Lets just keep nattering about our beloved little beasties (IQs) and not get into the realms of depression!

John

Sounds like you are feeling better already John !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links